We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Abstract Effects Does It Again (I am ARRR) (42 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
MurphysNEW
View Profile
Loyal user
284 Posts

Profile of MurphysNEW
"It's absolutely brilliant! Both the premise and the method"
- Shimshi

"Killer. Insane method and so CLEAN. Love this."
-Justin Flom

Spectators find their OWN card an unique way, plus a totally unexpected reveal.
Easy to do, effective and fun.

https://www.murphysmagic.com/product.aspx?id=68037
evkatz
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of evkatz
Does anyone who's played with the effect know how critical spectator control is? In other words, is it possible for them to bring the pendulum closer, and thus determine there's a m----t involved?
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
9305 Posts

Profile of pegasus
The obvious movement of the pendulum confirms the presence of a m@@@@t of some sort.
CardGuyMike
View Profile
Elite user
405 Posts

Profile of CardGuyMike
The email I got from MJM Magic says:

Quote:
A spectator freely chooses a card, and the pendulum will find it! If you think you know how it's done, consider the following:

• The SPECTATOR can hold the pendulum while it spins in their hands
  • The spectator finds their own card (no equivoque)
  • No, it doesn't use any magnets! (which is what I originally thought)

Both the Pendulum and the selected card can be fully examined! And when you're finished, you're instantly reset if performing for a different group of people!
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
2331 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
I am having a difficult time understanding why special things are needed. If you know how a pendulum works and how to control a card...
Perhaps there is more to it than whats offered in the trailer?
Mac_Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
Miami, FL
1234 Posts

Profile of Mac_Stone
A gimmicked pendulum is the most unnecessary prop of 2020.
dyoung
View Profile
Special user
811 Posts

Profile of dyoung
If it had been a pendulum that was gimmicked to ensure a nice big swing, that would've been nice in my book. Just because sometimes when you're working with spectators the pendulum doesn't always swing that much. I remember once when I was doing a pendulum routine, and I had several pendulums out in the audience, and I picked someone who was good with the pendulum. As soon as they were in front of the audience, the pendulum got stage fright and wouldn't move Smile

Anyway, this isn't that. Ungimmicked pendulum with an inbuilt reveal.

If anyone saw my Academy Of Magic one trick mini-lecture from ten years ago or so (no one did), then you would've seen this trick.

Im curious about the feel of that pendulum though, like the weight of it.
dvno
View Profile
Veteran user
Hamburg
302 Posts

Profile of dvno
II ordered it and will report back when it arrives.
Sudo Nimh
View Profile
Inner circle
1558 Posts

Profile of Sudo Nimh
This looks precisely like my effect "Pendultimate"...

https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/view......c=649157

Must be titled "I am ARRR" because... that's what pirates say.
Sudo Nimh
View Profile
Inner circle
1558 Posts

Profile of Sudo Nimh
Surely Murphys isn't going to be so brazen as to try and release something which has already been published and marketed...

Observers should note that only half the deck is present when the participant is selecting a card in their promo video. There's a reason for that; it looks as though they tweaked that part of the effect mildly so as to make it appear "different" - but I can tell you why there's only a half deck there. In my handling (the ORIGINAL) the entire deck is in play when the card is selected not HALF. If Murphys insists on releasing this knock-off, then I would be most happy to gift everyone the routine for FREE.

This is clearly a rip-off of my work. For these guys to be saying it was "in development" for 5 years is an absolute joke - and shameful.
marc_carrion
View Profile
Special user
616 Posts

Profile of marc_carrion
It looks exactly like Sudo's effect. Has Murphy checked it out before accepting to publish it? or are they knowingly allowing pirated products on their site?
Madman13
View Profile
New user
32 Posts

Profile of Madman13
This is really sad. There was already a huge problem with Cake and now this being released. It clearly is Sudo's. I think it should be important for huge magic companies and individuals realising effects to start looking into the history and give more credits and not stealing by saying they thought of the idea years ago. I can see magic loosing it's way. 😔
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2611 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
That definitely seems like a more or less exact copy of Sudo's product, which has been out for quite some time.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Psycho Seance book: https://tinyurl.com/y873bbr4
Boffo eBook: https://tinyurl.com/387sxkcd
Sudo Nimh
View Profile
Inner circle
1558 Posts

Profile of Sudo Nimh
I should like to point out too, that their addition of having the selected card become revealed on their "special" pendulum at the finish is NOT a good idea because it leads people to the obvious conclusion that you must have somehow forced the card on them - which you do. The whole strength of the routine lies in the fact that the participant does everything and believes that they could have selected any card freely and that it was unknown to you. This reveal is a terrible idea and is typical "magician thinking". No special pendulum is actually required.

Isn't the idea of simply having a participant find their own card under exceedingly impossible conditions strong enough; why ruin that moment?

Regardless, this is still my routine; that silly and useless addition at the end adds nothing.
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2757 Posts

Profile of Tom G
Must be someone didn't do their research first.
Sudo Nimh
View Profile
Inner circle
1558 Posts

Profile of Sudo Nimh
Quote:
On Nov 9, 2020, Tom G wrote:
Must be someone didn't do their research first.

That's being generous I'd say; this routine and its method is far too unique for them to proclaim "accident". Anyone who is familiar with my work knows that this has my trademarks all over it in terms of practicality, simplicity, and effectiveness. Those who have purchased this routine from me over the years can easily spot that this is most definitely mine.
Newb2
View Profile
Elite user
478 Posts

Profile of Newb2
While I don’t know the method behind this effect, it looks similar to something in The Other Brothers’ At The Table lecture from back in 2016...
AlexanderG
View Profile
Veteran user
No more and no less than
360 Posts

Profile of AlexanderG
Does anyone know for sure what method is here used?

Sudo's method itself has some precursors, for instance Magick Balay's "There Can Only Be One!", which I think appeared around 2012 or so. Magick doesn't use a pendulum, but the effect and the method are very similar to Sudo's. (Would you agree, Sudo?) Magick doesn't offer any credits; I expect his routine too may well have predecessors.
Nathan Alexander
View Profile
Inner circle
1547 Posts

Profile of Nathan Alexander
Looks like the same effect of Sudo's to me which predates this. Hmm... He's been ripped off before.
Sudo Nimh
View Profile
Inner circle
1558 Posts

Profile of Sudo Nimh
Not seen this 2016 lecture, but you know, it's funny: that was the year I was getting clean after 9 years of addiction. I ended up spending a lot of time talking shop to a few fellas (who I later learned were all aliases) online in text chats because I had nothing else to do. During that time, I shared a number of my routines - several of which, have been stolen by a number of fellas since then. This is one of the routines that I had discussed frequently. I discovered later that there was a private group of guys who were actually targeting me. It's a long story.

As for the method being "new", I wouldn't claim it's a fully original idea. It's really just a "digital" Smile deck being used in a rather unique way. Lots of others have used the same idea in interesting ways too, though, not quite in this way.

At this point, I'm at the point of not even caring anymore; it's why you don't see me around here anymore and why I have pretty much cut off ties with everyone. Nobody can be trusted Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Abstract Effects Does It Again (I am ARRR) (42 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL