The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Question on folding quarters (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

PRmagic
View Profile
New user
Bronx NY
50 Posts

Profile of PRmagic
I want to get a folding quarter(or any other coin) but I want to be able to do the "take a bite out of it" effect.

There are different ones, from what I heard, like half bitten quarter and some are laser cut. I don't know which one I can use for biting it then restoring it.

If you guys know, let me know. Thanks
Be Curious
Nae Blis
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of Nae Blis
I just bought one of the new 3-1 quarters. Very impressive. Looks very real. It is symmetrically folding though (does have nice bitten cut look to it). This can make handling the "Bitten" and "flipper" type tricks more diffcult.

One of the classic multiple folding coins might be a better suggestion as it would be easier to handle. I'm sure Wayman will jump in here, he owns most every gaffed coin on the market.
It takes a big man to cry...... but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.
PRmagic
View Profile
New user
Bronx NY
50 Posts

Profile of PRmagic
I just found out that "bitten" coin is different because it looks more real after it's "bitten," but it can't fit inside of a bottle.

But which one lasts longer or is easier to handle?

Also, what's with the replacement rubber bands for the coins? Don't tell me if I buy one of these I will have to set it up all the time and replace the rubber band everyday.
Be Curious
MAGICTOM
View Profile
Veteran user
Dallas, Tx
354 Posts

Profile of MAGICTOM
Depending on how much you use or practice with the folding coin, you shouldnt have to replace the gimmick very often... But if you have had one on for a while, and you know you are going to perform that night with it or soon anyways, you should go ahead and replace it.
its no big deal, takes about 5 minutes and
a little bit of cleaning and your done...
Mine came with a length of rubber tube about 3/16 outside diameter the kind hospitals use...
I am having a brain fart right now and cant think of the official name of the stuff..
anyway, you just use a razor blade to cut off small sections and make rubber bands out of them... nothing to it!
Good luck
Tom Smile Smile Smile Smile
No Man is his craft's master the first day!
J.B. Bobo
Reed McClintock
View Profile
V.I.P.
772 Posts

Profile of Reed McClintock
Try using a Mercedes Benz key for the biting. It looks awesome in my opinion --even better than the quarter. Smile
"Stuff is anything, but magic is everything"

Reed McClintock 2003

Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6584 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
Quote:
On 2002-07-25 17:00, MAGICTOM wrote:
cant think of the official name of the stuff..
would that be surgical tubing?
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
MAGICTOM
View Profile
Veteran user
Dallas, Tx
354 Posts

Profile of MAGICTOM
Yep *L* thats what it is....
funny how you cant think of a word sometimes you have been using forever..
Make you feel like a ?@$%^#%
what was that word?????
I know it has something to do with a stubborn horse with long ears ....
Thx Scott Smile
No Man is his craft's master the first day!
J.B. Bobo
Geoff Williams
View Profile
Special user
St. Pete Beach, FL
617 Posts

Profile of Geoff Williams
Donkey?

:)
"Saját légpárnás tele van angolnák."

(Hungarian for "My hovercraft is full of eels")
ChessMess
View Profile
Veteran user
311 Posts

Profile of ChessMess
Now I've heard some differences in coinage. I was at the local magic shop and he had a 3 in one coin, bitten/flipper/bottle (I think those are the three).

It was laser cut and look ok, but I was suprised at how easy it bent. When he showed me the 'bitten' trick, he turned the coin toward him, spit and then turned it back to view.

Now I saw a video somewhere on the net of bitten and the guy held the coin in plain view, spit, and it was back in a instant... even trying to pause the video I couldn't tell it was flipping up.

I'm wondering if all of these type of coins are really flappy like the one in the shop (I had to turn and hold it just right to slide it down my thumb for a thumb palm.. otherwise it would bend on me) or was the one in the shop just poor quality? Or was it the fact that it was a 3-in-one type?

I've heard reference to these coins with 2 bands on them. Are they better?
Magicman01462
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of Magicman01462
No all of the bitten coins are not flappy, i have owned a cheapone for about 3 years and just recently ran out of rubber bands. The only thing useful about mine is that when it snaps back out it is very quick, the hard part is hiding the gikick, which is not cut very well, i usualswitch to a regular quarter after it is restored, good luck and hope this helps.

Magicman01462
Magicman01462
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of Magicman01462
No all of the bitten coins are not flappy, i have owned a cheapone for about 3 years and just recently ran out of rubber bands. The only thing useful about mine is that when it snaps back out it is very quick, the hard part is hiding the gikick, which is not cut very well, i usualswitch to a regular quarter after it is restored, good luck and hope this helps.

Magicman01462
DeWoody
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of DeWoody
In my opinion, the Johnson Product Coin in Bottle is the best one for all the effects, well at least the "bitten" and "coin in bottle". The 3 in 1 coin needs to be tilted down a bit to look bitten, whereas the Johnson one doesn't. Plus its the cleanest cut and can be viewed up close without fear. And definitely keep the rubber band on it fresh. Which you can get from any orthodontist.
CS Sheridan
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of CS Sheridan
I would have to agree, the Johnson coins all around seem to be the best out there. You pay more, but the old saying is true, you get what you pay for. I love my Johnson bite out quarter.
philipi56
View Profile
Regular user
grand rapids, MI
142 Posts

Profile of philipi56
get a double folding quarter, they are the best
CSStanton
View Profile
Loyal user
Suttons Bay, MI
228 Posts

Profile of CSStanton
It seems that I purchased a coin-in-bottle where the rubberband didnt go around the outside. I remember it going thru the center, holding all three parts tight. Is this right or was I just dropped as a child?
...I lost it.
-Casey
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
PRmagic,
If you get a double fold coin, PM me for my "Coming down the pipe" AKA: "Coins roll downhill" illusion. Something a little different from the same old gaff. Smile
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
mikejorden
View Profile
Loyal user
222 Posts

Profile of mikejorden
The 3 in 1 is a waste of money. With a bit more thought it could have been a fantastic gimmick. But as it is, I'm sorry, but it's a waste of money.

Sure, it enters a bottle but as a flipper coin it is not practical for a working performer. Even the "bite" could have been better designed.

Now, if the cut had been offset from center a little bit it would still enter the bottle and the flipper effect would be easier & more practical. Still have'nt worked out who has teeth marks like the 3 in 1 - Perhaps my sponge bunnies!!!

PS I loved the Mercedes Bends bite out idea
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Question on folding quarters (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL