The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Card tricks for children to learn? (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

iFeatherly
View Profile
New user
26 Posts

Profile of iFeatherly
What are some of the easiest card tricks for children to learn and perform in your opinions?
BlushingCrow
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of BlushingCrow
Maybe some self-working tricks [so they aren't reliant on motor skills/sleights] and maybe packet tricks [if they aren't old enough to handle a full deck] - Karl Fulves would have some excellent books to suit
iFeatherly
View Profile
New user
26 Posts

Profile of iFeatherly
Quote:
On Nov 15, 2020, BlushingCrow wrote:
Maybe some self-working tricks [so they aren't reliant on motor skills/sleights] and maybe packet tricks [if they aren't old enough to handle a full deck] - Karl Fulves would have some excellent books to suit

Perfect! I’ll have to take a look. One way principles and key cards have been about the extent of what we’ve been doing so far. I was thinking some self working tricks would be good but also want to avoid large setups.

Thanks for the input!
Betrayal Mix
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of Betrayal Mix
Any of the Karl Fulves card trick books are self-working so there will be a lot to pick from - I had one of those and Wilson's Complete Course in Magic as a small child and found plenty in both to get me started.
EndersGame
View Profile
Inner circle
Reviewer EndersGame
1658 Posts

Profile of EndersGame
I have spent a lot of time volunteering and teaching card magic to children, mostly in the age range of 10-14 years old.

I especially suggest getting them started with some simple self-working card magic, so they can focus on presentation and building their confidence. I put together a few articles on the subject, including one which I put together for my students with a list of links to video tutorials teaching tricks like this.

Popular Simple Self Working Card Tricks for Beginners
Why You Should Try Self-Working Card Tricks
Why Children Should Learn Card Magic
How to Get Started with Card Magic
10 Important Tips for New Magicians: Do's and Don'ts

Roberto Giobbi's very inexpensive ebook Introduction to Card Magic is something I'd highly recommend as a great place for you to start if you're looking to learn some basics yourself, and it includes over half a dozen good self-working card tricks. Also check out Will Roya's 6 Magic Playing Card Tricks For Kids, which is specifically designed to teach kids some basic self-workers.
iFeatherly
View Profile
New user
26 Posts

Profile of iFeatherly
Quote:
On Nov 23, 2020, EndersGame wrote:
I have spent a lot of time volunteering and teaching card magic to children, mostly in the age range of 10-14 years old.

I especially suggest getting them started with some simple self-working card magic, so they can focus on presentation and building their confidence. I put together a few articles on the subject, including one which I put together for my students with a list of links to video tutorials teaching tricks like this.

Popular Simple Self Working Card Tricks for Beginners
Why You Should Try Self-Working Card Tricks
Why Children Should Learn Card Magic
How to Get Started with Card Magic
10 Important Tips for New Magicians: Do's and Don'ts

Roberto Giobbi's very inexpensive ebook Introduction to Card Magic is something I'd highly recommend as a great place for you to start if you're looking to learn some basics yourself, and it includes over half a dozen good self-working card tricks. Also check out Will Roya's 6 Magic Playing Card Tricks For Kids, which is specifically designed to teach kids some basic self-workers.

This is a fantastic response! Thank you. I’ll check it out and pass along what I think she would enjoy doing. The performance side of things is what we’ve primarily been focused on and some low effort card magic was what I was looking for so that could continue to be the case. I’ve been doing card magic for about 12 years for myself. I was hoping for this sort of response to save me time scrounging through all of my books to find extremely straight forward ones. Thank you again!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Card tricks for children to learn? (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.25 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL