The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Friction/Shuttle? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Kihei
View Profile
Regular user
137 Posts

Profile of Kihei
I stumbled on something that I'm sure has been thought of before: Who came up with a shuttle pass that relies on friction palm principles as opposed to standard finger palm? Are there any sources I could research for similar applications?
Bernard Sim
View Profile
Inner circle
Singapore
1093 Posts

Profile of Bernard Sim
I think you're refering to Jonnny Benzais friction palm which can be found in his book "The Best Of Benzais".

This move can also be found in Roth's book "Expert Coin Magic" on page 19.
Bernard Sim
wsduncan
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
3618 Posts

Profile of wsduncan
Actually the move is Edward Marlo's and can be found in (if I recall correctly) Coining Magic.
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
If you're being very precies about your terminology, then I don't recall seeing this anywhere before. You're talking about a sequence during which only one coin is visible at any time, right? If more than one visible coin is involved, then we're talking about a "utility switch" and the friction pass has been applied to that.

With regard to a friction pass technique applied to the Roth move, I don't see the advantage. The Roth shuttle pass is clearly a "dumping" action, and I don't see you getting that look from a friction technique, unless you got a lot more "friction" than I do. On the other hand, working it like the John Mulholland slide vanish might impart some movement to the "dump", so I can't say it's completely misguided.

I get the idea, I suppose. Why do you want to do it this way?
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
wsduncan
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
3618 Posts

Profile of wsduncan
I've used a varient handling of the Mulholland slide vanish as a shuttle pass on occasion and also as a transformation.

The Slide vanish has a nice ROV aspect to it which has been largely overlooked (in print at least).
Kihei
View Profile
Regular user
137 Posts

Profile of Kihei
Yes, thank you Curtis I was refering to a utility switch. Specificaly when 3 coins are used but only 2 are shown typicaly dumping from hand to hand.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26976 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
The Friction handling of the utility switch seems to add vulnerable angles to the move. Where the standard Utility Switch is a clean dumping action which takes the hand palm down, the Friction Palm leaves the hand palm to the side with a coin clinging to the hand which is exposed from the opposite side. Using this with both hands seems prohibitively angly. When the toss is done palm down, it FEELS less than convincing in the body language, and is also the reason the thing is not usually done from fingertip rest.

At least those were my findings when I tried using that approach. Have you gotten around those problems?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Kihei
View Profile
Regular user
137 Posts

Profile of Kihei
I have been using the friction palm with the coins at the base of the fingers. I encountered the same issue Jonathan raised as you are able to show the back of the hand while the fingers and thumb are nearly flat. The only solution I have come up with is to have the coin that stays start at the base of the fingers to be finger palmed/dumped after the friction action is performed. It only seems to be beleivable if it is done on the first action of a series and is not repeated. I was hoping to get other ideas and feedback.
wsduncan
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
3618 Posts

Profile of wsduncan
If one drops the coins from the (higher) right hand into the left and then moves the left hand forward the direction of action works well to cover the problem.

Add to this a coin in left hand classic palm which drops to join the coin or coins being passed and a nice illusion can be created due to combined kinetic action.
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4754 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
Hi Gang,
I have used It for years And Have in some of My notes!(The Las Vegas Lecture pg. 51.) I have also used it for A closed U.S. Showing the coins in one hand tossing them into the outher hand And just showing the closed hand and them opening the outher hand to show the change!

Best David Neighbors
The Coinjurer
David Neighbors

The Coinjurer

www.coinjurer.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Friction/Shuttle? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL