The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Homemade props in the Magic and Mystery Tour (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

bubbles
View Profile
New user
The 5th Dimension
99 Posts

Profile of bubbles
Hi all,

I'm not sure if this is the right section for this question, but I'm pretty new and had a question about some props seen in Penn and Teller's Magic and Mystery Tour China episode. Was hoping someone could point me in a direction.

In the episode at the end they do a street show with the magician family, and the dad has a giant can of raid with a little puppet guy flipping around, and a gourd with some kind of worm popping in and out.
I was wondering if these were effects that have names?
Are those things that have a history as gimmics, or are they just some kind of original folk art that the dad made for his show?

Any help's appreciated. Thanks!
bubbles
View Profile
New user
The 5th Dimension
99 Posts

Profile of bubbles
Https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVNBLnQy71M&t=190s

What I'm talking about starts at 39:09 in the video.
Thanks again.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Bubbles,

Welcome to the Café!

Most professional magician's that appear on such shows, have invented and created their magic for themselves and only them. It is a way to become notable as a performer. An agent may say, "I want to hire the magician that does something with a giant can of Raid, and a puppet. These are not standard magic effects, they are special to the performer.

If you study magic hard enough, and have the ability to use the knowledge and create magical effects just for yourself, then you to will stand out from those not so creative. No - there is no name for the effects unless the creator gives it one.

Strange you should ask this question, as Penn answered it during the old guys performance. Home made props and the guy would mark this as his performance art effect.

It is looked down upon to copy another magician's creation in the magic community.
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of thomasR
Great question!

I’m not familiar with a standard magic prop like that, but if you like that type of thing check out Mario the maker magician. He builds all sorts of little robots and mechanical things like that for his show. I think he has a penguin lecture coming up as well!
bubbles
View Profile
New user
The 5th Dimension
99 Posts

Profile of bubbles
Thanks for the replies!

Bill: We're on the same page regarding copying people's stuff! Thanks for the reply and advice.
I was more just asking if they were homemade props of an established effect. He didn't invent the kuma tubes, even if he made the tube and the stuff he pulled out of it. I wasn't sure if an animated little doll or a thing popping out of a gourd were tricks that had names like an "in and out box" or "forgetful fred" kind of stuff.

Thomas: Thanks for the reply and the suggestion. I went and found Mario the maker and gave him a follow.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Homemade props in the Magic and Mystery Tour (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL