We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » AdSense (Fool You Even If You Know the Principles Involved) by El Gran Bronzini & Nahuel Olivera (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
MurphysNEW
View Profile
Loyal user
284 Posts

Profile of MurphysNEW
"The method is genuinely quite simple, but it is beautifully concealed and deeply deceptive."
- Phil Smith

"At first you will like the effect, but then you'll LOVE the method!"
- Tom Elderfield

https://www.murphysmagic.com/Product.aspx?id=61109
dooblehorn
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburg, CA
2262 Posts

Profile of dooblehorn
The part I don't like is he picks up the cards then flips them over and sets them down next to the proper object, I mean what is to stop him from placing the cards with the right object?
rowland
View Profile
Inner circle
1405 Posts

Profile of rowland
Surely you could do the same just using m****d cards
loudini1972
View Profile
New user
Central New Jersey
94 Posts

Profile of loudini1972
Quote:
On Nov 23, 2020, dooblehorn wrote:
The part I don't like is he picks up the cards then flips them over and sets them down next to the proper object, I mean what is to stop him from placing the cards with the right object?

I agree, I don't like that you have to handle the cards. Spectators know that magicians use sleight-of -hand and will think you did just that and changed the order of the cards when placed down.
Ross W
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1702 Posts

Profile of Ross W
The plot is great. The method looks clumsy and suspicious.
Author.
Twitter: @rosswelford
www.rosswelford.com
Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4354 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
I do hate that pick up, yikes.
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
3958 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
Quote:
On Nov 25, 2020, Ross W wrote:
The plot is great. The method looks clumsy and suspicious.

Totally agree. Too bad. The plot itself has a great emotional and relatable hook.
“Belief matters more than truth. Every moment, belief in imaginary things alters lives while truth sits unnoticed and waits.”
—Hakim, Loreweaver
Luke Dancy
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas
1038 Posts

Profile of Luke Dancy
Get ALL the details on AdSense from the guy that created it!

magicmind
View Profile
Inner circle
Wandering around with
2473 Posts

Profile of magicmind
I like the look of this, but at the end of the day they look and feel like a card trick. He handles them just like playing cards, so it seems off to me.
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1694 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
There is no reason to pick up the cards and put them in a pile once they are placed next to the objects. That is counter-intuitive, doesn't appear motivated, and seems suspicious.

Pass
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
Pixelated
View Profile
Loyal user
264 Posts

Profile of Pixelated
Feels very Muldoon Match-esque
Sophocles
View Profile
Loyal user
248 Posts

Profile of Sophocles
Quote:
On Nov 30, 2020, Pixelated wrote:
Feels very Muldoon Match-esque

Indeed. It sure does and I never thought Muldoon was that strong. Never got as big of a reaction as I expected but I didn’t do it many times.

AdSense looks like fun but do you want to carry extra stuff? And there are so many things out there. Social deck for example uses Facebook cards. There is also the ESP-ECTATION by Nanda which looks weak to us but it has killed every time I’ve done it. Finally there are lots of pocket tricks with a few cards. So question is if it will be in your top 10 or top 20 and each persons skill level, budget, and what their audience is used to.
Fire Starter
View Profile
Inner circle
4403 Posts

Profile of Fire Starter
Really liked the look of this untill that collection of the cards,just didn't look right,looked as if he was putting them in the right order,even if not, sure dam looks like it,i'll pass and stick to 'Any Nymans' Hidden.
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
3962 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
I own this. I don't think the collection and turnover is a problem. I think that is way too much "magician" thinking.

I like the various routines they explain, all very strong.

However, I do have one challenge with this. That is, for the main routine, someone in the group has to have 12 items. There are alternatives for some of this things. For example one is a photo of a sharpie. You could substitute pen or pencil. Many of the items are things you likely always have on you, such as wallet, keys, money, phone, ring, and drivers license. However, some of the following I don't carry, and perhaps are a bit more hit and miss: glasses, sharpie, watch, airpods, cigarettes, and lighter.

The explanations are very thorough and lengthy, so perhaps I missed it, but I don't think they covered what you do if you need an item that nobody has, not even a reasonable substitute.

Maybe someone can comment on this.

KJ
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
3962 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Another issue is there are four cards that you must have at the bottom of the deck. In the presentation, he offered to have the participant shuffle the cards. She declined, but he didn't explain how to then get the four cards to the bottom if they shuffle. Personally, I am not good at culling cards. I suppose I could learn to cull cards, but I have focused on other ways to move one or two cards. I personally don't really have a good way to move four cards.

The best I can think of would be to offer for them to shuffle the cards up front, then take them back and show what is on the cards as you go through the patter, and as you pass them from one hand to the other, placing some on top of the receiving hand stack and some on the bottom. I think this would fly.

KJ
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
3962 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
At first, I thought the premise was awkward, as it is based on a made up magazine called "Ad Style Magazine".

HOWEVER, this just might become my NEW FAVORITE! I almost don't want to tell you why, ... but I'm going to:

Out of curiosity, I googled whether perhaps this magazine ever existed. Apparently it didn't, however....

As it turns out, while "Ad Style Magazine" is not a thing, there are some unbelievably bizarre real magazines. So, I'm working on a routine that starts with some cards that I have created from images off the internet of some of the most unusual magazines printed. The premise is about how magazines are really all about "selling" crap. So, all these bizarre magazines are designed to market things to people with unusual interests.

Here are some REAL MAGAZINES:

Girls & Corpses
Miniature Donkey Talk
Modern Drunkard
Sheep!
Portable Restroom Operator

There are more unusual magazines, but these are the ones I'm going to use. I have printed some of the cover pages from these magazines. Some of the stuff on some of the covers is UNBELIEVABLY HILARIOUS!

So, my routine will be to start talking about how crazy marketing is, then talk about the craziest magazines designed to sell crap to people with bizarre interests, show some of the magazine covers, then talk about the ultimate "marketing magazine", "Ad Style Magazine", which fortunately didn't make it. They didn't get that you have to be just the tiniest bit "subtle". Fortunately for us, they tried to start a collectors craze, like pods. Remember pods? Those little cardboard disks? Well, the first edition of "Ad Style Magazine" included a starter deck of "brand cards".

I think I'm just going to do my own shuffling, I don't think it's necessary to have them shuffle them, and I like the various routines they have, starting with a single prediction and ending with the triple prediction.

I love that they are not really predictions, they are routines of subliminal advertising manipulation.

This release is really genius!

KJ
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
3962 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Sorry, one more magazine I'm adding: Serial Killers Magazine.
dyoung
View Profile
Special user
811 Posts

Profile of dyoung
Gptta say, not loving the pick up and redeal. I don't even think its just "magicians thinking", a term I hate, because often its a cover for poor methods Smile Anyway, having said that, there's no reason why you couldn't use these cards but with a different handling, surely? I used to play around with a similar concept, but to me the logic of having something all with identical backs doesn't work with the premise of subliminal advertising.

I did match up routine with colours on cards (also did it with shapes) and how they were match to cards to different prices, to show how colours and shapes influence our choices. It got a bit too academical, but I might need to revisit it Smile

Maybe I'm missing something, but is there much about anything sublimininal, or advertising or anything in the full routine?
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
3962 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Quote:
On Dec 12, 2020, dyoung wrote:
Gptta say, not loving the pick up and redeal. I don't even think its just "magicians thinking", a term I hate, because often its a cover for poor methods Smile Anyway, having said that, there's no reason why you couldn't use these cards but with a different handling, surely? I used to play around with a similar concept, but to me the logic of having something all with identical backs doesn't work with the premise of subliminal advertising.

I did match up routine with colours on cards (also did it with shapes) and how they were match to cards to different prices, to show how colours and shapes influence our choices. It got a bit too academical, but I might need to revisit it Smile

Maybe I'm missing something, but is there much about anything sublimininal, or advertising or anything in the full routine?

Yes, there is, they have a clever pseudo explanation that involves subliminal marketing.

And, you are right on with how you can create any routine you like. These are just cards, so you can literally adapt any card routine you like. This is what is amazing to me. I see a bunch of people talk about how terrible something is, then you hand it to someone with imagination like Dan Harlan, or Pop Hayden, or any number of other magicians, and they turn it into an amazing routine.

So, for those who didn't like that move, here is an idea: Take three envelopes, labeled #1, #2, and #3. By doing simple double turnovers, you can do the one-ahead principle and that would completely negate how you handle the envelopes because their first choice will be in envelope #1, their second in #2, and their third in #3.

If you don't like the envelope idea, then find your favorite one-ahead routine and use that method.

Most people lack the imagination to be creative.

I find that is what separates good magicians from crappy ones. When I have seen crappy magicians at the local library, it is almost always the case where they bought a bunch of "tricks", read the instructions, and performed them. They never took the time to use a little imagination to create something interesting and entertaining.

By contrast, think of really great magicians. They have all done something unique. Sometimes they take something crappy and turn it into amazing magic. I bet Pop Hayden could come up with an AMAZING routine with these cards.

KJ
Fire Starter
View Profile
Inner circle
4403 Posts

Profile of Fire Starter
Quote:
On Dec 12, 2020, 1KJ wrote:
Quote:
On Dec 12, 2020, dyoung wrote:

Got to say I like your way of thinking, I changed the number process in 'The Collector' now I have a very talked about effect, key word is .use your Imaginaton

I like your way of thinking, I have indeed changed how I do 'The Collector' didn't like the process of choosing the number.So glad I did as I have an amazing efect that works for me ,key word is 'Imagination'.

Yes, there is, they have a clever pseudo explanation that involves subliminal marketing.

And, you are right on with how you can create any routine you like. These are just cards, so you can literally adapt any card routine you like. This is what is amazing to me. I see a bunch of people talk about how terrible something is, then you hand it to someone with imagination like Dan Harlan, or Pop Hayden, or any number of other magicians, and they turn it into an amazing routine.

So, for those who didn't like that move, here is an idea: Take three envelopes, labeled #1, #2, and #3. By doing simple double turnovers, you can do the one-ahead principle and that would completely negate how you handle the envelopes because their first choice will be in envelope #1, their second in #2, and their third in #3.

If you don't like the envelope idea, then find your favorite one-ahead routine and use that method.

Most people lack the imagination to be creative.

I find that is what separates good magicians from crappy ones. When I have seen crappy magicians at the local library, it is almost always the case where they bought a bunch of "tricks", read the instructions, and performed them. They never took the time to use a little imagination to create something interesting and entertaining.

By contrast, think of really great magicians. They have all done something unique. Sometimes they take something crappy and turn it into amazing magic. I bet Pop Hayden could come up with an AMAZING routine with these cards.

KJ
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » AdSense (Fool You Even If You Know the Principles Involved) by El Gran Bronzini & Nahuel Olivera (4 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL