The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » ELEMENTARY by Drew Backenstoss (145 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
durgy
View Profile
Elite user
Toronto
403 Posts

Profile of durgy
Hi Drew,

Will you be releasing more demo dates ?
http://www.durgyspade.com
facebook.com/durgyspade
twitter.com/durgyspade
DrewBstoss
View Profile
Special user
SLC, Utah
562 Posts

Profile of DrewBstoss
Brainbu$ter - I'm very happy to hear that you're so excited by ELEMENTARY! It's definitely one of those routines that you can't wait to run with. No judgments on giving it your first test drive the same day you learned it haha.

durgy - I appreciate your interest. I'm taking a few weeks off of demos (mainly so I can use that time to finalize the project). There's a little promo video currently in the works though. That should provide a good feel for the routine in the absence of a live demo Smile

Best wishes,

Drew
"The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before." Neil Gaiman

Please consider subscribing to my newsletter: http://eepurl.com/hmdnUX

ELEMENTARY: Now Available!
ALL PROJECTS AVAILABLE AT: www.mindofandrews.com/colleagues.html
Robert P.
View Profile
Special user
Kansas
556 Posts

Profile of Robert P.
Quote:
On Dec 27, 2020, DrewBstoss wrote:
Robert P. - You are absolutely correct - no harm in asking! I wouldn't be opposed to a "bundle deal" with AOTM and ELEMENTARY... but the truth is, there are only 11 remaining copies of AOTM available for purchase. So, it wouldn't be something I could offer for long. If you (or anyone else) is interested in having the discussion feel free to PM me Smile

That would be great, thanks. Sent a PM your way.

Looking forward to seeing the promo video, should be great.
durgy
View Profile
Elite user
Toronto
403 Posts

Profile of durgy
At 12:00pm, I jumped on a call with Drew.
At 12:50pm, my pocket was $100 lighter. I want to be the first to receive this and I'm not taking any chances!

Drew, thank you for taking time to walk me through this... I don't think I can say anything that hasn't already been said. I NEED to be performing this ASAP. Please hurry!

Durgy
http://www.durgyspade.com
facebook.com/durgyspade
twitter.com/durgyspade
DrewBstoss
View Profile
Special user
SLC, Utah
562 Posts

Profile of DrewBstoss
It was a pleasure to chat with you Durgy! Thanks for taking a moment to post AND for trusting me enough to invest in ELEMENTARY Smile

Just to clarify for everyone - moving forward I don't have any plans to continue setting aside a few hours each week for demos. I will, occasionally, still arrange a zoom call if schedules easily line up (such was the case with Durgy).

This also hasn't been officially launched. Those who have this already paid full price for it and understand that it will be several weeks before the physical book is ready to ship. These "early access" copies give me a chance to refine my procedures for sending the PDF etc. in preparation for opening up sales completely.

Happy New Year everyone!

Best wishes,

Drew
"The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before." Neil Gaiman

TimonK
View Profile
Veteran user
Amsterdam
366 Posts

Profile of TimonK
Just called with Drew. This is the single best propless PIN divination I have seen. In fact, I believe it's probably the single best propless piece I have seen, period. The presentational freedom is astounding, as are Drew's numerous subtleties and his wonderful scripting.

Really, really great.
"But overcome space, and all we have left is Here. Overcome time, and all we have left is Now. And in the middle of Here and Now, don't you think that we might see each other once or twice?"
- Richard Bach, 'Jonathan Livingston Seagull'

www.timonkrause.com
Tempesta
View Profile
Elite user
USA
403 Posts

Profile of Tempesta
I was able to see this firsthand recently and thought this thread can use all the positivity it can get. I don’t leave reviews often—usually because I’m hypercritical.

I judge material based on the quality and depth of work—and it’s deceptive effect.
The quality and depth of work comes from working it, feedback, and time. Something Drew said that I swear by is that a good way to tell if an effect is ready is if you are tired of it.
Material that has a deceptive effect is really the difference between theatrics and secrets. A lot of people confuse the two—just because an effect “plays” does not mean it is deceptive. Not every joke that gets laughs is funny. I like to know which one I am investing in—is this a secret worth keeping, or just something “cool.”

Further, I’ve bought and read and worked +80% of the propless material that has made the rounds, and despite even the popular ones with pages and pages of reviews, I hate it. It’s cool ideas, but there is no quality and depth of work, and no deceptive effect. For instance, if I buy your effect and make obvious improvements while I’m watching/reading it—I’m not a genius—it means the quality and depth of work could’ve been more before publication. Just my opinion, I’m entitled to it, and I say all of this to preface my review.

So, having this performed on me, Drew tried to say I’m the 1st one to not hit exactly—BUT I wish to disagree. The read and studied part of my brain could see the workings here and there, but altogether, I can honestly say I’m not entirely sure how it all works together to get to such a surefire hit. He nailed it—I felt violated, and the best part was after discussing some of it in different contexts—it made me excited. That is the key.

After having learned something, are you excited to work it?

I think that’s honestly the best outcome, and review point, from a traveling professional.

Regarding the price and format, complaints are inevitable. How someone wants to run their business or display their art is their free, God-given decision, and as a consumer, your opinion on that decision is best voiced with—or without—your money. Enough with the business ethics course every time a creator wants to publish something. The same outcry of “it’s hurting the art” applies to the multi-thread drama for nearly every release. I’m glad this is expensive. It’s good. I GET to pay Drew for the time and energy he has put it into his “work.” I can’t even afford it at the moment—and yet, I’m happy with that.

If you’re looking for the secret and you enjoy knowing more and having fun with it—get the pdf. If you like to perform and work material—get the pdf and Facebook group access. If you’re a pro, or you prefer to really dive into good material, get the book.

I can confidently say this is a solid, workable, effect with a LOT of versatility—much yet to be discovered even.

If I’m comparing it to similar effects—it’s definitely worth the investment for me to test it and work it.
If I’m comparing it to other propless material—it’s obviously better than most of what I’ve read. I’d consider it a “no-brainer,” in that regard.

Great work, Drew.
//Sean Beard
Tim Hannig
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago area
1091 Posts

Profile of Tim Hannig
Quote:
On Jan 6, 2021, Tempesta wrote:
I was able to see this firsthand recently and thought this thread can use all the positivity it can get. I don’t leave reviews often—usually because I’m hypercritical.

I judge material based on the quality and depth of work—and it’s deceptive effect.
The quality and depth of work comes from working it, feedback, and time. Something Drew said that I swear by is that a good way to tell if an effect is ready is if you are tired of it.
Material that has a deceptive effect is really the difference between theatrics and secrets. A lot of people confuse the two—just because an effect “plays” does not mean it is deceptive. Not every joke that gets laughs is funny. I like to know which one I am investing in—is this a secret worth keeping, or just something “cool.”

Further, I’ve bought and read and worked +80% of the propless material that has made the rounds, and despite even the popular ones with pages and pages of reviews, I hate it. It’s cool ideas, but there is no quality and depth of work, and no deceptive effect. For instance, if I buy your effect and make obvious improvements while I’m watching/reading it—I’m not a genius—it means the quality and depth of work could’ve been more before publication. Just my opinion, I’m entitled to it, and I say all of this to preface my review.

So, having this performed on me, Drew tried to say I’m the 1st one to not hit exactly—BUT I wish to disagree. The read and studied part of my brain could see the workings here and there, but altogether, I can honestly say I’m not entirely sure how it all works together to get to such a surefire hit. He nailed it—I felt violated, and the best part was after discussing some of it in different contexts—it made me excited. That is the key.

After having learned something, are you excited to work it?

I think that’s honestly the best outcome, and review point, from a traveling professional.

Regarding the price and format, complaints are inevitable. How someone wants to run their business or display their art is their free, God-given decision, and as a consumer, your opinion on that decision is best voiced with—or without—your money. Enough with the business ethics course every time a creator wants to publish something. The same outcry of “it’s hurting the art” applies to the multi-thread drama for nearly every release. I’m glad this is expensive. It’s good. I GET to pay Drew for the time and energy he has put it into his “work.” I can’t even afford it at the moment—and yet, I’m happy with that.

If you’re looking for the secret and you enjoy knowing more and having fun with it—get the pdf. If you like to perform and work material—get the pdf and Facebook group access. If you’re a pro, or you prefer to really dive into good material, get the book.

I can confidently say this is a solid, workable, effect with a LOT of versatility—much yet to be discovered even.

If I’m comparing it to similar effects—it’s definitely worth the investment for me to test it and work it.
If I’m comparing it to other propless material—it’s obviously better than most of what I’ve read. I’d consider it a “no-brainer,” in that regard.

Great work, Drew.

I've been performing Elementary quite a bit online and love it.

Just wanted to say I really appreciate your thoughtful post... I wish the Café had more posts like this on a regular basis. Bravo!
Author of PERFORM, the 2020 Magic Cafe Book of the Year

"I loved this book!" Ken Weber

"4 out of 4 stars!" Nick Lewin

"This will be a classic of magic!" Mark Pocan

performbettershows.com
Tim Hannig
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago area
1091 Posts

Profile of Tim Hannig
Quote:
On Jan 5, 2021, TimonK wrote:
Just called with Drew. This is the single best propless PIN divination I have seen. In fact, I believe it's probably the single best propless piece I have seen, period. The presentational freedom is astounding, as are Drew's numerous subtleties and his wonderful scripting.

Really, really great.

That means a lot coming from you.

I can't wait to put my "Elementary" book next to the "Which Hand" book on my shelf.
Author of PERFORM, the 2020 Magic Cafe Book of the Year

"I loved this book!" Ken Weber

"4 out of 4 stars!" Nick Lewin

"This will be a classic of magic!" Mark Pocan

performbettershows.com
Pixelated
View Profile
Loyal user
250 Posts

Profile of Pixelated
I can only echo what has been said on this thread.
This is a great piece of propless mentalism that I will be using.

Can't wait to see all the nuances and touches that the full product includes.
DrewBstoss
View Profile
Special user
SLC, Utah
562 Posts

Profile of DrewBstoss
Timon, Tempesta, Tim and Pixelated - It gives me goosebumps to hear that workers like all of you are excited about this! Thank you!

The release will likely be delayed (a little) due to a combination of factors in my personal life and the world at large... but the launch is drawing near!

Here's the trailer as promised. It's definitely from the "COVID-era" (there's no in-person performances shown haha) but we work with what we've got, right?! Keep in mind that this represents the "basic" version of ELEMENTARY - there are LOADS of ways you can adjust and present this Smile

Best wishes,

Drew

Rick
View Profile
Elite user
Va.
446 Posts

Profile of Rick
Looking forward to getting this!
Adam Hince
View Profile
Elite user
Pittsburgh, PA
488 Posts

Profile of Adam Hince
I was fortunate to be able to purchase the complete package in advance. This provided me an early peek at the basic version in PDF form and the apparently controversial Facebook group. However, I was chatting with Drew about my first successful trials of Elementary and out of the blue he offered me an early peek at one of the bonus routines, Amalgamation. The fact that this was included as a mere bonus is perhaps a slight as to how devious this method actually is. It’s a propless method for forcing a random country, name, drawing or (seemingly any) piece of personal information. My personal favorite is the country, followed by the name. This method is brilliant and when I did the “wife test” with the country version, she was shocked when I revealed her country, stating that there were so many choices! There is some process, but it’s quick and woven in with the presentation beautifully.

As far as I know, this and other bonuses are only available in the hardback book that is part of the complete version.

Drew did not ask me to write this, and didn’t share the bonus with any contingencies, such as requesting that I posted my thoughts. These are my unsolicited thoughts on this. It’s one of those things that can (and most likely will) be taken by others in many different directions. If only there was an online forum for these things to germinate. Smile
Psy
View Profile
Veteran user
322 Posts

Profile of Psy
Where can I buy this?
252life
View Profile
Inner circle
Ninth Circle, Hades
2386 Posts

Profile of 252life
Drew’s great about responding if you drop him a pm here on the Café.
Look for all the world like you're counting the brain cells in his cranium.

-Theodore Annemann
252life
View Profile
Inner circle
Ninth Circle, Hades
2386 Posts

Profile of 252life
Look for all the world like you're counting the brain cells in his cranium.

-Theodore Annemann
DrewBstoss
View Profile
Special user
SLC, Utah
562 Posts

Profile of DrewBstoss
Quote:
On Jan 16, 2021, 252life wrote:
Http://www.mindofandrews.com/

My products can be found on a hidden page within the site Smile The direct link is www.mindofandrews.com/colleagues.html

DrewBstoss
View Profile
Special user
SLC, Utah
562 Posts

Profile of DrewBstoss
Psy - Thanks for your interest! I'm working as fast as I can to get this ready for a full launch. The time is drawing VERY near Smile

Adam - Thanks man for posting some thoughts on AMALGAMATION! Awesome to hear that your wife responded as she did haha. It's an extremely versatile combination of ideas. I, too, am excited to see in what directions other people push the concept!

GENERAL ANNOUNCEMENT: The Simulator just went through a MASSIVE update. Truth be told, it's so much more than just a "simulator" now - it's a full-blown web app with multiple functionalities. Now that this update is crossed off the list, it shouldn't be too long before I can make ELEMENTARY widely available.

Best wishes,

Drew

Mr Matthews
View Profile
New user
UK
36 Posts

Profile of Mr Matthews
If this is anything like AOTM it will be an instant hit!
DrewBstoss
View Profile
Special user
SLC, Utah
562 Posts

Profile of DrewBstoss
This is now LIVE Smile

www.mindofandrews.com/elementary

Best wishes,

Drew

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » ELEMENTARY by Drew Backenstoss (145 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL