The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » ELEMENTARY by Drew Backenstoss (145 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
DrewBstoss
View Profile
Special user
SLC, Utah
562 Posts

Profile of DrewBstoss
Irishmagic and Tim - thanks so much for your posts! I was quite pleased with both of your reactions when I revealed your PINs. I’m genuinely having a BLAST giving people a sense of wonder again Smile

Merlin - Haha! Love the Rounders reference! Just want to clarify one thing you mentioned. The performance segment of the demos I’ve been giving last approximately 5 minutes. There’s a little one minute preamble to set the scene, one minute to generate the substitute PIN, and then right around three minutes until the reveal. I could perform the entire sequence in just two minutes but I like to have fun with the presentation (and I can’t make it look TOO easy Smile ).

Durgy - I’ve got several demos scheduled for the coming week but all of the available slots have been filled (in some cases two to three weeks ahead of time). I’ve tried to fit in as many extra demos as time will allow (even doing two at 6 am to accommodate time zone differences) but my time is limited especially as the holiday approaches. Thanks for understanding Smile

Best wishes,

Drew
"The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before." Neil Gaiman

Please consider subscribing to my newsletter: http://eepurl.com/hmdnUX

ELEMENTARY: Now Available!
ALL PROJECTS AVAILABLE AT: www.mindofandrews.com/colleagues.html
Mr. F
View Profile
Loyal user
Kentucky
241 Posts

Profile of Mr. F
I have been performing semi-professionally for the past 6 years or so, and while I still get impressed by methods, it has been a long time since I’ve been fooled by them. I had been anticipating this past weekend’s demo ever since I scheduled it back in November, and I so desperately wanted to experience the effect as a layman. While I couldn’t help but take note of some of the workings along the way, when it came time for the reveal, there was still no way in my mind that Drew had gathered all the information he needed. I was giddy, grinning ear to ear as I waited for Drew to turn his business card around and show me my number. I haven’t felt that feeling in a LONG time. Super excited about this one!

Josh
DrewBstoss
View Profile
Special user
SLC, Utah
562 Posts

Profile of DrewBstoss
Thanks so much Josh! I'm relieved to hear that I didn't disappoint the high expectations that you felt towards the demo!

I'm obviously biased, but I think there's a beautiful synergy between the method and presentation that produces the illusion that no pumping has occurred (which hopefully leaves only one conclusion - real mind reading haha!).
"The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before." Neil Gaiman

DrewBstoss
View Profile
Special user
SLC, Utah
562 Posts

Profile of DrewBstoss
I've received many inquiries about the release details surrounding ELEMENTARY. I'm finally ready to share them Smile

After a SIGNIFICANT amount of deliberation, I have to decided to offer three options:

1) ELEMENTARY "101" for $65: A 190 page PDF covering the main system and four alternative handlings.

2 ELEMENTARY "Plus" for $80: The PDF plus access to the Elementary Simulator.

3) ELEMENTARY "Complete" for $100 (plus shipping): This includes everything in the Elementary "Plus" package along with access to the devoted FaceBook group and a signed 270 page hardback book. The book includes SIX additional variants (many of my personal favorites) and THREE bonus chapters (including AMALGAMATION - my versatile, verbal technique to force information). The full content of the book will never be made available as a PDF.

NOTE: You have the option to "upgrade" later on if you wish. You'd simply pay the difference (plus shipping if applicable).

What is the Elementary Simulator?

This is the AMAZING brain-child of RodrigoGrando (a member of the Café). Several weeks ago, I shared an early draft of the book with him because I wanted to make sure there wouldn't be any issues using the ELEMENTARY system in another language (Portuguese in his case). The book contains dozens of "Practice Sessions" that allow you to test yourself for comprehension after each variation. Rodrigo had the brilliant idea to program a web tool that covers EVERY SINGLE POSSIBLE SCENARIO that you might encounter while performing ELEMENTARY! Since then, he and I have worked together to bring you a VERY useful (and fun) tool. When applicable, the simulator even links you to a performance video that depicts the exact scenario you were just tested on. I am SO excited for people to start using this! I'm certain this will significantly reduce the learning curve and fully prepare you for live performance!

I genuinely had ZERO desire to release any of this content as a PDF. After speaking with many performers around the world, I recognize the difficulties caused not only by the current pandemic, but also shipping expenses and delays in general. For that reason, I decided to make the PDF only option available. These will be individually watermarked (and secretly marked in several other ways as well) so let me be clear:

IF YOU PIRATE THE PDF I WILL KNOW! (Where's Liam Neeson when I need him?!)

The PDF only contains a fraction of my full work on ELEMENTARY, it also doesn't include any of the bonus content, so there's a trade-off if you choose the ELEMENTARY "101" option. If you opt for the Elementary "Complete" package you will receive the PDF so you can start learning the basics while you await delivery of your book Smile

My plan is to begin accepting orders early to mid January. There are just a few more loose ends I need to tie up in preparation for the launch.

If you have any questions about this project (or anything else) don't hesitate to ask!

Best wishes,

Drew

Nathan Alexander
View Profile
Inner circle
1467 Posts

Profile of Nathan Alexander
My order is requested for the big package. Love ya Drew...
Luke Master
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of Luke Master
Very excited for this. Thank you Drew!
Seth speaks
View Profile
Inner circle
New Mexico
1340 Posts

Profile of Seth speaks
So I had a demo with Drew the other night, and I don't know how to describe it, except that he mopped the floor with me and it felt great, lol! I haven't felt that mystified for a VERY long time. This is the most organic, impromptu, deceptive work on the PIN premise I'm aware of!

Since it is from Drew, I figured it would be solid, practical, and well worth the cashola, but I secretly doubted it would be as deceptive and procedure-light as it promised, just based on many other similar effects with similar promises that turned out to be... not quite true, sometimes laughably so.

Drew just had me come up with a fresh PIN in my head, clarified a couple of minor points, didn't do anything which felt off or suspect. As we chatted amiably, the suspense I felt was real, because I actually thought I might have messed it up and he wasn't going to get it. He built it up like the professional he clearly is, and I was gritting my teeth with tension. When he revealed my PIN, I was actually in shock, and burst out laughing. I think I dropped my head into my hands a couple of times. Floored, completely baffled, and THOROUGHLY entertained!!

Wow, what a perfect little piece! And he tells me he just used the basic method, and there are tons of variants included, some even better and easier. He tells me he actually had the full number about ten seconds after I made it up, and the rest was mainly just presentation and buildup. He tells me it is a simple, concrete system that works about 100% of the time.

One of my specs once walked away after a card trick saying, "Nope, no way, that is some freaky-ass satanic voodoo sh!t..." I sometimes recall that phrase when I see something that hits me really, really hard. And I thought it last night. Folks, when you reveal your spec's PIN, or when they reveal yours, it going to be a wallop of astonishment!

Give me the DELUXE version, please, obviously!! Can't wait to dive in, obviously haven't read it yet, but my prediction for Elementary--already written, sealed, and mailed to the mayor--reads "TEN out of TEN, this gets my highest recommendation!"

Seth
chosen1
View Profile
New user
lots of places
59 Posts

Profile of chosen1
Hello All,

So I experienced Elementary last Saturday, and must say it was really special. It's a great answer to the question we all get "so how do you do what you do?"

The "process" (for lack of a better term) has a few limitations, but I honestly believe that it actually helps make this feel more genuine and casual. Everything Drew discusses during the performance just makes sense. If you really did have the power to read minds you would make pretty much the same exact statements Drew makes.

What I'd really like to highlight though is the conversational tone that Drew goes into while performing. It's something I hope he discusses in the book and something I'm fairly confident he will. This entire thing just felt fun in a way that mentalism doesn't always feel. Him and I were working together to try and reach the same goal and it felt like an entertaining game that we both got to win at the end. I can't think of anything much better for a casual moment of mind reading. Plus that final line was awesome!

Thank you so much for sharing Drew, and not keeping it to yourself.

Best,
Brandon
We should all be in a constant state of wonder
252life
View Profile
Inner circle
Ninth Circle, Hades
2386 Posts

Profile of 252life
I don’t have anything to add that hasn’t already been said. This is strong and fun. We’re living in good times for mentalism. Propless has come a long way. Drew you killed it as expected. Highest recommendations.
Look for all the world like you're counting the brain cells in his cranium.

-Theodore Annemann
DrewBstoss
View Profile
Special user
SLC, Utah
562 Posts

Profile of DrewBstoss
Seth: Your reaction to the demo was priceless! I think you (along with the help of your unnamed participant from a bygone performance) just invented a new scale to rate the impact of magic - the "F.A.S.V.S."! Haha!

Brandon: That is a truly lovely compliment - thank you! I genuinely enjoy performing ELEMENTARY so it's extremely rewarding to hear that you experienced a sense of fun as well! And I agree with your statement regarding the restrictions present in the process. Giving everything a solid internal logic was one of my principal points of focus during the creation/scripting of the routine. Glad to hear I hit the mark!

252life: "Propless has come a long way." It has indeed! Having a quiver full of different arrows prepares you for any context in which you may find yourself performing. ELEMENTARY and AMALGAMATION (the bonus concept included in the "Complete" package) are beautifully direct and impactful "arrows" ready to deploy when a standard "bow" isn't prudent or desired Smile

DrewBstoss
View Profile
Special user
SLC, Utah
562 Posts

Profile of DrewBstoss
Mathieu Lesieur asked that I post this for him because he isn't a member of the Café:

"I had the chance to have a zoom demo from Drew a few days back, and I really enjoyed feeling fooled again!

The routine felt absolutely natural and Drew correctly uncovered my PIN after a few minutes. I am French, and the way Drew performed the effect proved that it works well anywhere in the world. This is an effect I can imagine being performed impromptu, casually, or part of a bigger piece with no hesitation.

The effect is extremely strong, even in the "basic" version Drew performed with me. I can’t wait to read the other variations knowing the dedication and the level of details Drew got us used to with his previous work.

I am now waiting for ELEMENTARY to be out (I will certainly go for the Complete version!) to dive into the details of this amazing effect.

Thanks Drew!"

Thank YOU Mathieu! One of the reasons I've dedicated time to giving demos is to prove that ELEMENTARY is effective regardless of where you live and perform.

Best wishes,

Drew

Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3366 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
People who pay $65 for a PDF of a propless "invented PIN" divination aren't going to be given access to the Facebook group?

Wow! Everything that has gone wrong with the Mentalism selling "business" right there.
cardistry master
View Profile
Special user
521 Posts

Profile of cardistry master
Quote:
On Dec 23, 2020, Martin Pulman wrote:
People who pay $65 for a PDF of a propless "invented PIN" divination aren't going to be given access to the Facebook group?

Wow! Everything that has gone wrong with the Mentalism selling "business" right there.

That seems like a strange decision. As long as someone can prove they bought it it seems like they should be let in. I'm sure there is a reason though.
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3366 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
Quote:
On Dec 23, 2020, cardistry master wrote:
Quote:
On Dec 23, 2020, Martin Pulman wrote:

That seems like a strange decision. As long as someone can prove they bought it it seems like they should be let in. I'm sure there is a reason though.

Presumably it's for fear that the elite buyers will blab about the bonus routines to the peasants.

A really poor look, regardless. Better to just sell the effect and let buyers discuss it together on the Facebook group.
DrewBstoss
View Profile
Special user
SLC, Utah
562 Posts

Profile of DrewBstoss
Hi Martin and Cardistry Master.

The (difficult) decision to release a PDF version of ELEMENTARY was motivated by a desire to make the basic system(s) more accessible to performers who live in areas of the world where shipping costs and timeframes make "delivery only" options less attractive.

My original plan was to release this as a physical book ONLY for $100. In order to feel comfortable sending PDFs, I devised "tiered" options to reward those who chose to support the physical book.

Beyond offering differentiated value propositions (there's a $5 marketing term for you!), the main reason the FB group is only available to those who purchase the "Complete" package is because I anticipate that the group will be openly discussing all of the bonus content found in the physical book. The PDF only options don't include the bonus content and it would be unfair to those who invested more in the project if everyone was given equal access to that content.

Martin, out of curiosity, how can you accurately assess the value of ELEMENTARY unless you've read it? I work hard to provide EXCEPTIONAL value to those who invest in my work. I am very confident that buyers will feel that all of the packages are a STEAL at their given price points due the all of the thought, refinements, tools and options I am sharing at each level.

I'm not the bad guy here... bottom-feeders who pirate other's work are our common enemy. I'm not going to let them purchase the PDF at $65 AND give them full access to all of my work on this concept.

Lastly, I am not forcing anyone to purchase this (or any of my other releases). I am under no obligation to sell my ideas at "fast-food prices."

Best wishes,

Drew

cardistry master
View Profile
Special user
521 Posts

Quote:
On Dec 23, 2020, DrewBstoss wrote:
Hi Martin and Cardistry Master.

The (difficult) decision to release a PDF version of ELEMENTARY was motivated by a desire to make the basic system(s) more accessible to performers who live in areas of the world where shipping costs and timeframes make "delivery only" options less attractive.

My original plan was to release this as a physical book ONLY for $100. In order to feel comfortable sending PDFs, I devised "tiered" options to reward those who chose to support the physical book.

Beyond offering differentiated value propositions (there's a $5 marketing term for you!), the main reason the FB group is only available to those who purchase the "Complete" package is because I anticipate that the group will be openly discussing all of the bonus content found in the physical book. The PDF only options don't include the bonus content and it would be unfair to those who invested more in the project if everyone was given equal access to that content.

Martin, out of curiosity, how can you accurately assess the value of ELEMENTARY unless you've read it? I work hard to provide EXCEPTIONAL value to those who invest in my work. I am very confident that buyers will feel that all of the packages are a STEAL at their given price points due the all of the thought, refinements, tools and options I am sharing at each level.

I'm not the bad guy here... bottom-feeders who pirate other's work are our common enemy. I'm not going to let them purchase the PDF at $65 AND give them full access to all of my work on this concept.

Lastly, I am not forcing anyone to purchase this (or any of my other releases). I am under no obligation to sell my ideas at "fast-food prices."

Best wishes,

Drew

Makes sense. Like I said I'm sure there is a reason.
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3366 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
Quote:
On Dec 23, 2020, DrewBstoss wrote:
Martin, out of curiosity, how can you accurately assess the value of ELEMENTARY unless you've read it?

Hi Drew,

Where have I assessed the value of the effect? I don't need to know anything about the value of the effect to disapprove of sellers barring buyers from entering a Facebook group.

If you've paid good money for an effect (and during a global pandemic when millions are struggling to put food on their table, referring to "fast-food prices" is a rather unfortunate and surprising mis-step for someone so attuned to marketing) I think you should have access to the Facebook group. It's about the principle. The effect being good or bad is irrelevant.

I hope you reconsider.

Regards,
Martin
chosen1
View Profile
New user
lots of places
59 Posts

Profile of chosen1
Hello All.

There is an important and probably fascinating conversation to be had about cost, value, ip, theft of that ip, etc in the magic community. I would love to have it, and have some thoughts on the matter. But I'm going to do my best to refrain from that too much now, because this topic has a very specific purpose and I believe it does a disservice to all reading to derail that.

An obvious point must be made that Drew has the right to charge whatever he wants for whatever he has to offer and anyone has the right to feel that it's too expensive. Both opinions aren't really debatable. So there's that before I get too started.

Also want to make the point that I do not know Drew from Adam. My first contact with him was to set up a zoom call to see Elementary in action.

My main point is this idea that time has value and I feel many in the magic community have gotten a bit spoiled. Not sure why someone can expect Drew to moderate a facebook group, offer up new ideas to those in said group, and do so for an unforeseen amount of time and that, that doesn't have value. I have no idea how much Drew charges for a show, but from his polish it's safe to assume he isn't cheap and charges more than $100. So let's say that the basic premise of Elementary is worth $65. So now for $35 more you're getting something physical, more ideas, and an amount of time of Drews that could be hours and hours, time not spent doing a show or a day job that will bring in much more income than typing up a facebook post for his readers. Isn't that worth something?

Now, many creators are also offering facebook groups for their work at no charge. That is generous of them, but I don't think you can expect that of everyone just because some do. If that were the case then every performer would only charge the same amount as the cheapest magician for their shows. We all have different time constraints and we all place different value on that time. Drew has been very selective in what he's released, but has proven himself to over deliver on everything so far. I feel we should also reward that level of commitment with the benefit of the doubt. The product isn't even released and some are upset about he price. Doesn't it make sense to leave that kind of umbrage for the people who have a reputation that deserves it?

To bring this back to the more specific topic of Elementary. Without even knowing all of the workings I think it has value in what it can allow you to do. I don't see myself performing this on stage necessarily. For my style I believe this fits more comfortably in a casual circumstance. But with Elementary I have a fun, fooling, engaging piece that I can use to show anyone what it is I do, something mentalist often have trouble doing. So now at any time I can amaze any potential customer with a piece that introduces the concept of mind reading. If, for the rest of my life, I get one show from performing this the investment is made back many dozens and dozens of times over. That's how I plan to use this. I've found few things that can offer that.

Drew is also giving us hours of his time showing this to people to help them make informed decisions. Now, obviously, this has marketing value to him, but this thread had been read many times and and is coming close to 5 pages. the buzz is abound and he could generate just as much doing 3-5 of these zooms, but he still keeps doing it. Some of that's probably because he's a bit wicked and wants to see as many heads explode as possible. LOL. But I'm also confident a large part of this time he's giving is just to help his future customers.

Drew is also giving those customers options. Something that not everyone does. This gives him more work, but gives people a freedom to decide for themselves how much this offering is worth. Personally I want it all! LOL. But I can save 35% if that's what I wanted to spend.

Pretty sure that's way more than anyone wants to hear from me, so I'll end it there. and let this thread get back to being what it should be. A space to discuss an exciting new piece of mind reader from a great guy in this art/business we all enjoy together.

Have a wonderful day, all.
Best,
Brandon
We should all be in a constant state of wonder
cardistry master
View Profile
Special user
521 Posts

I really don't understand how only including the facebook group with the most expensive option would affect piracy. Anyway I'm interested in this and am hopeful that there will be more demo sessions eventually.
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3366 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
Quote:
On Dec 23, 2020, chosen1 wrote:
I have no idea how much Drew charges for a show, but from his polish it's safe to assume he isn't cheap and charges more than $100. So let's say that the basic premise of Elementary is worth $65. So now for $35 more you're getting something physical, more ideas, and an amount of time of Drews that could be hours and hours, time not spent doing a show or a day job that will bring in much more income than typing up a facebook post for his readers. Isn't that worth something?

Much (most?) of the ideas on Facebook groups are provided by purchasers of the effect. For free. If we're going to be all hard-headed businessman about this will Drew be paying contributors for their ideas, or does this "time is money" thing only work one way?

Quote:
On Dec 23, 2020, chosen1 wrote:
The product isn't even released and some are upset about he price. Doesn't it make sense to leave that kind of umbrage for the people who have a reputation that deserves it?

Who has written anything about being upset by the price? And even if someone had they are perfectly entitled to do so. Latest and Greatest is for potential buyers to discuss new products, not for people selling products to be given unlimited, uncontested advertising.

And the very fact the product isn't yet released means the price is one of the few solid factual things that can be discussed.

I really hope this thread doesn't descend into another pile-on where people are afraid to give their honest thoughts. We've had enough of that over the years. Drew has released some interesting variations on the work of others -standing on the shoulders of giants to streamline routines in an entertaining and creative way, but I don't think we've reached the point where his every utterance and release has to be treated with the accompanying scent of burning incense. I'd be very surprised if he believed that to be the case.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » ELEMENTARY by Drew Backenstoss (145 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.27 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL