The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » REGAL COLOR CHANGING KNIVES (9 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
dbaltes1520
View Profile
New user
49 Posts

Profile of dbaltes1520
Wow! I love David Regals' effects and have not done anything with knives, mainly cards and coins. After wathcing the video on Hocus Pocus I had to look at the reviews. Thank you all for your valuable input - this is a bit of an expense, but from your comments I think it will add a little bit of fun variety to my set. Will be ordering soon and let you know how it works out for me. Your YouTube videos were a big help in putting together a script that fits my style. Thank you!
aheller5
View Profile
Regular user
151 Posts

Profile of aheller5
You will not be upset with this purchase these knives are amazing the feel and how they handle!!!! his video instructions are great as well
adam
dbaltes1520
View Profile
New user
49 Posts

Profile of dbaltes1520
Thanks Adam. His instructions are always well done and always with a touch of humor. I have them in my cart and will be checking out in a bit.
PendletonThe3rd
View Profile
Special user
736 Posts

Profile of PendletonThe3rd
When I first saw this, I didn't think it would be for me. I could appreciate the quality and detail that went into the set, to be sure (I expect nothing less from David Regal)…for some reason though, I just didn't think it would be for me in terms of presentation.

Watching Craig Petty's review and routine, however, definitely got me thinking. So I went out to the local shop to flirt with the idea of buying it. And then just couldn't resist and bought it.

I have to say, I am not disappointed. Quality of the knives is of course top notch and definitely not gimmicky looking. These are hands down real deal knives (just not sharpened) and there's no disputing the care taken to make them perfect for this type of routine. My concern wasn't actually with the knives themselves.

Rather, my original concern was if I would actually use these? I was asking myself, "who would carry around two knives?" if/when presenting this in the more close up/impromptu situations I would use this for?

Well...as the quality is so strong, they definitely don't look out of place as everyday, higher-end pocket knives. And I do sometimes carry a tactical or buck type pocket knife. So not completely out of the ordinary.

Craig Petty's presentation, along with ideas from David Regals routine, however, sparked the ideas to help me justify carrying two knives.

My presentation is pretty basic but I basically show off the knives, stating that, interestingly, I prefer to carry two...for extra protection of course! One being more suited to white magic (do the basic vanish, with the white knife, like Craig does in his video)...while the other knife is a little more on the darker side. And can penetrate the hand and body (with the black knife, do the penetrations like Craig shows in his review ).

The black knife can even disappear and teleport to the pocket (again, like CP does... proceed to pull the "black" knife out of the pocket again).

From there, I say "put the two together, and that's when things get a little interesting"...launching into David Regal's moves but using a basic patter flowing from the above set up.

I finish by concluding that these are the reasons why I carry two. And I start to put the knives away, pocketing the white and starting to pocket the black, when realizing that there is one more thing! Indeed, I explain that in situations when the white, or in this case, black knife won't suffice...and I need a different type of tool...I can always change it into a swiss army knife (do the change to red).

So that's it. Nothing too grandiose. And don't get me wrong, David's patter is fantastic...for HIS routine. I just wanted something to help explain why I have two knives in MY pocket. And in a way that's right for me.

All this to say is that if you were intrigued by this knife set but thought it may not be quite for you, remember you’re not just stuck with how its presented in the trailer. it's modular, and you can make it fit for whatever you want.

Even if you wanted to do a quick instagram thing, you could simply shake the black knife into the swiss army...and that could be a pretty cool visual in and of itself.

You have quite a bit here to work with for a really fantastic routine. And tons of potential for some great storytelling ideas.

Thank you David Regal for putting out such a fantastic set. Looking forward to the other just-as-premium releases you have in store!
David Regal
View Profile
V.I.P.
786 Posts

Profile of David Regal
Very pleased that you are enjoying the knives! I have a few other things coming out this year, all very different from one another. If you want to join my mailing list to find out more (when I am closer to releasing them), use the link below. Some products and specials are only for my mailing list, and I do NOT send out a lot of emails.

CLICK HERE for Mailing List
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
4093 Posts

Profile of emyers99
Will the knives stick to a magnet?
David Regal
View Profile
V.I.P.
786 Posts

Profile of David Regal
Emyers99 - I will try right now...

...and the answer is...

...YES. The bolster makes this very secure.
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
4093 Posts

Profile of emyers99
Sweet! Thanks David. Order on the way.
peppermeat2000
View Profile
Elite user
410 Posts

Profile of peppermeat2000
I am going to purchase this set. I have a clunky old set of knives that have sentimental value, but have seen better days. David's set fits the need for the knives I use in my current routine that I have been tweaking for years (if you witnessed the routine you would probably ask me, "That took YEARS of tweaking?").

The thing with audiences and "objects that seem out of place ,or no longer a part of everyday culture" is that I don't think they give as much thought to it as some magicians do.

I've used ,as I am sure many others have as well, props that some magicians would shy away from due to an audience possibly feeling the prop is suspicious...solely based on the fact that they looking at something that they don't interact with on a regular basis. Examples range from specific brands and colors of playing cards to sponge balls, linking rings, thimbles, and pocket knives.

A prop is only as suspicious as the performer using it. Don't let assumptions about props prevent you from implementing a good color changing knife routine! I mean ,jeez, you can't do card tricks all night can ya???
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3432 Posts

Profile of Julie
...and you can use the knife for something else (besides changing color) prior to hitting your audience with the full blown routine. How about stabbed in the pack, a clock trick or anything else permitting your spectator to handle the knife freely?

Julie
MagicVin
View Profile
Regular user
Staten Island, New York
183 Posts

Profile of MagicVin
David’s knives are amazing I like the idea of using the knife before the knife routine... sharpen 1 & use it to cut the rope on a cut & restored rope routine?
Smile Smile Smile Magic is all around us we just have to be willing to see it.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » REGAL COLOR CHANGING KNIVES (9 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL