The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Looking for B.I.G. Magic (Beginner, Inspectable, Good Reaction) (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
notasperfectasyou
View Profile
New user
DC Metro Area
52 Posts

Profile of notasperfectasyou
I've been a beginner for a while - maybe that makes me an experienced beginner? I do magic for friends, family, and the occasional receptionist at the doctor's office. I do a version of "Which Hand" that completely meets my criteria. A card trick like Out of This World meets this criteria. I know it's a big ask to look for magic that is easy to do, finishes clean, and truly looks amazing, but they do exist. I have searched the boards for a thread like this, and I could not find one. So here it is. Can we list the magic that is:

Good for Beginners
Finishes clean, is Inspectable
Gets a Great Reaction
Russo
View Profile
Inner circle
So.California / Centl.Florida / retired Florida
1167 Posts

Profile of Russo
The 'french drop' an EZ coin effect. (can then find coin under nose or ear) also one, where with coin on finger tipa - when putting it into other hand(?) is snapped into your palm. Again found under nose or behind ear . Many COIN effects can be EZ. Fold a dollar bill with head up - when unfolded, head is down.. Helps ??
Mark Boody Illusionist
View Profile
Inner circle
1367 Posts

Profile of Mark Boody Illusionist
My go to is the color vision box. Yes that cheap plastic one found in just about every
magic kit. I often repeat it a second time to even stronger reactions.

Best of luck

Mark
Only he who can see the invisible can do the impossible. Frank L. Gaines
Andy Young
View Profile
Special user
Jersey Shore, PA
822 Posts

Profile of Andy Young
Odd Quad by Daryl. 4 card routine that is beginner friendly and the teaching by Daryl is amazing. Really wish he was still with us.

https://www.daryl.net/product/odd-quad/5......&q=false
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
I wrote THE MAGIC BOOK just for you----plus about twenty other books
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
mlippo
View Profile
Inner circle
Trieste (Italy)
1227 Posts

Profile of mlippo
Odd Quad by Daryl. 4 card routine that is beginner friendly and the teaching by Daryl is amazing. Really wish he was still with us.

https://www.daryl.net/product/odd-quad/5......&q=false [/quote]

Odd Quad is my favourite opener and has been for years ...
We all miss Daryl I think ... :-(

Mark
mlippo
View Profile
Inner circle
Trieste (Italy)
1227 Posts

Profile of mlippo
Roberto Giobbi has written at least 15 books on great card magic and not only that, just for you.
You may wish to check them out.

Mark
MGordonB
View Profile
Loyal user
Toronto, Canada
279 Posts

Profile of MGordonB
Mark,thanks for highlighting Giobbi. Someone else who has the good stuff!
notasperfectasyou
View Profile
New user
DC Metro Area
52 Posts

Profile of notasperfectasyou
Thanks Andy, this is exactly the sort of help I'm asking for. Unfortunately, this effect doesn't seem to be available any more.

https://www.daryl.net/product/odd-quad/5......&q=false
Andy Young
View Profile
Special user
Jersey Shore, PA
822 Posts

Profile of Andy Young
You sure? Looks like I can add it to the cart.
EndersGame
View Profile
Inner circle
Reviewer EndersGame
2198 Posts

Profile of EndersGame
Quote:
On Nov 27, 2020, mlippo wrote:
Roberto Giobbi has written at least 15 books on great card magic and not only that, just for you.
You may wish to check them out.

Mark

This is great advice. I especially recommend Giobbi's series of three books: Card College Light, Lighter, and Lightest.

These three books on self-working card magic contain some fantastic tricks. They are well routined, and the real value lies in the excellent presentation ideas and patter that Giobbi teaches. Definitely one of the best places for strong card magic that is relatively easy to perform.

A lot of good `self-working' card magic will fit the required criteria that the original poster is looking for. Here are two articles that list some of the best of the best (with "Out of This World" being the #1 choice):

10 of the Best Self-Working Card Tricks in the World
10 More of the Best Self-Working Card Tricks in the World
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Quote:
On Nov 26, 2020, Harry Lorayne wrote:
I wrote THE MAGIC BOOK just for you---

Yeah. This. It ticks off all the boxes! You need this if you are a beginner. Very easy style. A great book!

Doug
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
Another "cheap plastic one" (thanks Mark) that is really great is the CRAZY CUBE magic trick. Its method is different from the Color Cube and every other similar effect, yet can be played up to a professional level or down to a kiddie baffler. It's easy-to-do and can be immediately repeated.

The effect reminds one of the very expensive electronic gadgets that are being developed and promoted around the world today. Smile

Julie
Hawkan
View Profile
Elite user
Sweden
495 Posts

Profile of Hawkan
Quote:
On Nov 26, 2020, Harry Lorayne wrote:
I wrote THE MAGIC BOOK just for you----plus about twenty other books

Yep. After almost 40 years, I still come back to this book. So much better than a beginner can imagine.

Håkan Smile
rjthomp
View Profile
Regular user
Pasadena
199 Posts

Profile of rjthomp
Let me second (or maybe fourth) The Magic Book. Still the classic beginners book after all these years. And after that Th Amateur Magician's Handbook (Now available as e-book from Lybray.com)

-Rob
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
Another excellent resource for good, practical and easy-to-do Magic is John Scarne's Tricks.

This is an older two book compilation--Scarne On Card Tricks ("Professional tricks and how anyone can do them") and Scarne's Magic Tricks ("200 best tricks that anyone can do")-- readily available inexpensively as the large combined book or separate volumes.

The major complaint magicians voiced at the time of its publication decades ago was that too many really good effects were incorrectly credited or not credited at all. In any case, this is definitely a worthy addition to your magic library.

Julie
Greg Kiefer
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

Profile of Greg Kiefer
I agree with the recommendations of Harry Loranye’s “THE MAGIC BOOK”. Be sure to read the book from beginning to the end. The book covers the gamut for those getting serious about learning magic. A great book for the beginner and for the experienced magician.
PhantomStranger
View Profile
New user
Tri-State Area
97 Posts

Profile of PhantomStranger
Not sure if this meets the criteria of looking amazing but it did get good reactions when I have done it. P&T's "Whispering Queen" card trick was my go to when I first started cause I could use a borrowed pack, have them shuffle, inspect before and after and was extremely simple for me as a beginner. I worried people would realize but never had a non-magician pick up on it.
Rodeo
View Profile
New user
BC, Canada
51 Posts

Profile of Rodeo
As other members have mentioned, you will get more mileage out of the books that are listed. If you prefer to learn by DVD and enjoy cards, Born to Perform Card Magic was a great start for me. While only a single trick, Shuffle Lesson by Chad Long is easily done. Predixion by Max Maven is another great one to look at.
SamuraiStag
View Profile
New user
Australia
14 Posts

Profile of SamuraiStag
This, That and Other is a great little 3 card worker - fully examinable. Based around 2 simple sleights and a fun little patter.
It also has the added benefit that once you master the sleights and routine that after the first routine when they have inspected the cards, you can repeat the trick and get an even better second reaction.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Looking for B.I.G. Magic (Beginner, Inspectable, Good Reaction) (5 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL