The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Charming Chinese Challenge? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
SIX
View Profile
Inner circle
New York City
1769 Posts

Profile of SIX
I love this effect it is strong but is there an effect where you can do a trick with three coins that is strong to end the routine?
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6165 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Shoot Ogawa developed a version of this routine that only uses three coins and he has a killer ending to it.

Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
SIX
View Profile
Inner circle
New York City
1769 Posts

Profile of SIX
From the CCC video or CX videos?
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6165 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
To be honest, I never saw the Charming Chinese Challenge video so I don't know if he put the whole thing in there. I just remember that this was the first time I thought to myself, "This guy is amazing."

I was hanging out in Hollywood Magic, this was a few years ago, when everyone started to tell me about this guy so I started watching some of his incredible matrix routines. At the time everyone in the shop was practicing CCC and Shoot. Looked at it for a moment and said, "Does not need extra coin." Well, within a few minutes he had developed his own version of the routine without the extra coin and fooled those who knew the original.

So I don't know if he ended up putting it anywhere... I see him do a lot of new stuff and it's hard to keep track. In the final version he leaves one of the coins on the ribbon, strokes it a bit and it ends up changing into a large Chinese coin... still on the ribbon!

Greg
SIX
View Profile
Inner circle
New York City
1769 Posts

Profile of SIX
Is there a way I can contact him?
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6165 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Go to http://www.shootogawa.com — I'm not sure if he's put out this exact routine yet, but you could ask him.

Greg
Tony
View Profile
Veteran user
Los Angeles
303 Posts

Profile of Tony
I happened to be there over at Hollywood Magic when Shoot did the three-coin CCC. As a matter of fact, Shoot even did them on my hand. His approach is an added perk in the CCC DVD which I have in addition to Troy Hooser's excellent DesTROYers book.
Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2914 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
I've seen the DVD but does anyone know if Shoot has a full three coin routine? I have my own but it doesn't look nearly as good as with four.
Kingry
View Profile
Elite user
Virginia
454 Posts

Profile of Kingry
Can't imagine a stronger ending than the third coin appearing in the spectator's hand. It's one of my most requested routines.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26986 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
I have posted some PC ideas a few times. Have a quick look via the search function.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Jonathan P.
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium
1482 Posts

Profile of Jonathan P.
I suggested an alternate ending in which the holes in the coins disappear, as well as the ends of the ribbon (which become a loop) in order to stress the impossibility of the whole trick.

Have a search. It is not old.
SIX
View Profile
Inner circle
New York City
1769 Posts

Profile of SIX
I was at a session the other day, we were all sitting around a table at the magic shop near my house and I performed the routine my friend Danny (very knowledgable) said whose effect is that? I said Hooser and he laughed. He said that effect is very old, it was in one of his books but there was a difference, it use five coins including the extra coin.

He said using five instead of four is better because the average person can tell the difference between two and three coins as opposed to three and four he said people would say I feel another coin. SO anyway, what do you guys think of that?
Stephen Barney
View Profile
Regular user
UK
130 Posts

Profile of Stephen Barney
They never feel the third coin in their hand and it is always a stunning climax
Chris Berry
View Profile
Special user
831 Posts

Profile of Chris Berry
Six, I think your friend is confusing a few effects together.

Also, they never ever feel three coins in their hands, unless you do something (which I don't see how you could) wrong.

Chris
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26986 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Simple effect you might want to incorporate... the old Albenice thing where the silk/rope ties itself into a knot, or passes through a hoop (coin).

And remember, when you put them ON... that is cool. When you take them off... that is not so nice and may need to be set up for a reason.

If you use a cord, then have other stories to tell. Smile
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Richard Lucas
View Profile
Special user
TX fornow- MemberMagicCastle'65-'88
737 Posts

Profile of Richard Lucas
Troy Hoosier was a guest lecturer on Tuesday in Houston Association of Magicians. I was extremely impressed, Troy is extremely smooth, as smooth as silk in his presentation and teaching style. He is also quite the gentleman and seems like the overall nice guy. I heartedly recommend his DVD and booklet. You can contact Troy at [email]tlh@aol.com[/email] for information of his offerings.
"The only difference between a Card Cheat and a Magician is that the Magician shows off.".......... Jay Ose 1965

Dicklucas
SIX
View Profile
Inner circle
New York City
1769 Posts

Profile of SIX
I own all three of his DVDs and the CCC DVD but his other DVD I was disappointed. Way too many gimmicks, some are OK but there was like one non-gimmick effect on each DVD.
sleightofhander
View Profile
Special user
582 Posts

Profile of sleightofhander
I didn't know he had another dvd. What is it called if I may ask?
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
16968 Posts

Profile of joseph
He may be referring to DesTroyers, which I have, and I highly recommend.....
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
sleightofhander
View Profile
Special user
582 Posts

Profile of sleightofhander
I already have that book, thanks.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Charming Chinese Challenge? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL