The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index Latest and Greatest? Vision Box 2.0 / Joo Miranda (24 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
4660 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
I love the original so I dont see the difference . If you think anyone thought anything other than it was a real card in the box from the start you may as well give up or you certainly didnt perform it in the real world . It killed imho Gaz 😊
MR Effecto
View Profile
Inner circle
2575 Posts

Profile of MR Effecto
Gaz, there are huge advantages with the 2.0 . One of the big ones is its way better to set up. Easy to carry and can add your prediction card right in front of your spectator.
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
4660 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
Fair enough I will have to seen one when someone has one to make a final judgement Gaz 😊
thecromulent
View Profile
Loyal user
Brooklyn, NY
265 Posts

Profile of thecromulent
Here's my question: will the action of adding the prediction card in front of the spectator really be something that we want to do? From what I understand, that card is gimmicked, and will be reused from performace to performace. That means that it will be pre-folded (suspicious) and will start to look weathered over time (also suspicious). If we were doing this effect for "real," we would start with a pristine card and fold it right in front of the spectator. I am not arguing with the quality of this item--in fact, I pre-ordered mine yesterday. But this aspect might not be as much of an improvement as claimed.

Evan
leosx1
View Profile
Veteran user
307 Posts

Profile of leosx1
I find card prediction effects that use unfolded cards, like Chris Webbs Decide https://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S30074 way more organic and strong than effects that use the MCF as no layman in his right mind would ever ruin his deck of cards by crumpling up one of the playing cards.
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
5290 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On Dec 15, 2020, leosx1 wrote:
I find card prediction effects that use unfolded cards, like Chris Webbs Decide https://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S30074 way more organic and strong than effects that use the MCF as no layman in his right mind would ever ruin his deck of cards by crumpling up one of the playing cards.

I'm guessing you never saw Boa Box by Cody Fisher? So entertaining and fun which uses a folded card. Audiences LOVE it!
leosx1
View Profile
Veteran user
307 Posts

Profile of leosx1
Yes true I never saw it and in the context of a snake holding a folded card in his mouth it does make sense indeed thank you for pointing this out.
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
4660 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
Quote:
On Dec 15, 2020, leosx1 wrote:

Really did rate this effect leosx1 I prefer Gobsmacked over the one you linked by Chris Webb .
Vision Box 1 or 2 are on a different stratosphere in comparison imho Gaz 😊
leosx1
View Profile
Veteran user
307 Posts

Profile of leosx1
Thank you for our reference to Gobsmacked Gaz, great effect though no box at all involved Smile. Ordered Vision in the end as it might come in handy for a clean serial number divination of a bill which would make sense to be folded also.
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
4660 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
Exactly the box telegraphs the method in Chris Webbs effect massively Gaz 😊
MrBadGuy
View Profile
New user
94 Posts

Profile of MrBadGuy
One of the trailers shows that you can customize it to using dollar bills and other cards, so is the gimmick easily interchangeable to remove it from the card and put it on the dollar bill. Or do you get a few so you can have say both a card and a bill gimmicked and ready to go?
Magic Dust
View Profile
Special user
709 Posts

Profile of Magic Dust
Quote:
On Dec 16, 2020, MrBadGuy wrote:
One of the trailers shows that you can customize it to using dollar bills and other cards, so is the gimmick easily interchangeable to remove it from the card and put it on the dollar bill. Or do you get a few so you can have say both a card and a bill gimmicked and ready to go?

As I understan it, you can change the card but it could be a sticky action ...
There is a offer for one extra piece for Vision Box.It includes the accessories
and the instructions to build one more gimmick for Vision Box.Comes with red card,
blue card and blank paper / Look at his Website 🔹 I HOPE ONE EXTRA IS INCLUDED
jamo425
View Profile
Loyal user
274 Posts

Profile of jamo425
So if you can set this up for money/billets, then it would make sense that you could set this up with a normal card rather than a double backer. Unless somehow, in order to display the prediction card, you actually need to fold it back in the opposite way? It's not a huge deal, but I would be curious to know.

Also to be fair, even if you do in fact need to use a double backer, you could simply conceal the refolding of the card a bit so its less noticeable if you're worried. I'm sure it will fly by any laymen regardless.

But if you are able to use a normal card, it would give some peace of mind. And if you're able to display the face of the card, it would actually open up a lot of different presentation ideas.
thecromulent
View Profile
Loyal user
Brooklyn, NY
265 Posts

Profile of thecromulent
I'm guessing a double backer is used just in case the spectator catches a glimpse of the inside of the folded card--so they don't see the index of a card they didn't pick. I've seen this subtlety used in a couple of different contexts with folded cards. You're never going to show them the face of the card as you fold it, because it's meant to be a mystery.

Evan
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
5245 Posts

Profile of videoman
Quote:
On Dec 16, 2020, thecromulent wrote:
I'm guessing a double backer is used just in case the spectator catches a glimpse of the inside of the folded card--so they don't see the index of a card they didn't pick. I've seen this subtlety used in a couple of different contexts with folded cards. You're never going to show them the face of the card as you fold it, because it's meant to be a mystery.

Evan

That was my thought as well. Although I'm not sure why they would use that on a demo vid, knowing that magi's are going to be wondering why they used a DB.
I don't think it is a normal card though. By that I mean I believe it is a carefully prepared gaff just as the original was.
MrBadGuy
View Profile
New user
94 Posts

Profile of MrBadGuy
I think the double facer is used also if you want to fold the card in front of them before putting it in the box. I believe the back they see, just before you fold it, is normal, and the back that is seen once it's folded in the box has has something special done to a quarter of it. That said, if you start with the folded card already in the box, similar to John Kennedy's Mystery Box, then it doesn't matter if you used a normal face card, because the face will never be seen. I get the idea of folding the card in front of the spectator, but if the special something is not easy to take of the card and transfer to a new card (once the first one is old an unusable), then I would just leave it folded already in the box. But if the gimmick is easily transferrable or replaceable (i.e. I can pop into Michaels and buy it) then I would do the folding in front of the spectator form time to time since I know I can repair/replace it after a few performances.
kiketron
View Profile
Elite user
428 Posts

Profile of kiketron
Perhaps the DB is a thinner card also. That would help if you know how it works.
Step into the unknown
Magic Dust
View Profile
Special user
709 Posts

Profile of Magic Dust
Quote:
On Dec 17, 2020, kiketron wrote:
Perhaps the DB is a thinner card also. That would help if you know how it works.

I am sure that this particular card is thinner than a normal playing card

It can be folded in front of a spectator & the back will never be visible
Magic Dust
View Profile
Special user
709 Posts

Profile of Magic Dust
Quote:
On Dec 14, 2020, Joao Miranda wrote:
Hi Guys - Thank you for the kind words.

Hello Joao, I have a design and production question:

Wouldn't it be better to have the bottom with white velvet and also the black plastic in white color ?

Since the edges of the card are also white, I think there should be less contrast problems with the edges

I believe in white this box would be even more effective and inconspicuous - Magician feedback requested
jamo425
View Profile
Loyal user
274 Posts

Profile of jamo425
If they catch a glimpse of the other side of the card then I think it would seem a bit more odd to see the back design vs a card they didn't pick. This is ofc hypothetically speaking though and worst case scenario. If you mind your angles, they shouldn't be able to see anything at all.

But if it were up to me, I think it would be nice to have a blank face card in there. So if they catch a small glimpse, it could still seem like a normal card. Hopefully whatever is in the special card can in fact be transferred fairly easy. I can think of a few different presentation ideas if that is the case.

That aside, the upgrades are great but in my opinion, not worth the money if you own a gimmick with the same concept. But to each's own, same may feel it is worth it. I will say however if I didn't have anything like this already, I would get it in a heartbeat.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index Latest and Greatest? Vision Box 2.0 / Joo Miranda (24 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL