The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical equations » » "Sum it Up" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Hushai
View Profile
Elite user
St. Louis, Missouri, USA
449 Posts

Profile of Hushai
I have never seen this mathematical principle used the way it is in Adam Hudson's "Sum It Up." https://www.penguinmagic.com/p/14702 Very interesting! Who else has used it like this?
hcs
View Profile
Elite user
Germany, Magdeburg
432 Posts

Profile of hcs
I described the well known mathematical principle in my book Melencolia I. This kind of a !@#$**g m****x dates back to Walter Gibson, 1938 and was put into print by Maurice Kraitchik: „Mathematical Recreations,” pp. 182 - 192; W.W. Norton and Company Inc, New York, 1942.

The card part is based on a me******d or s******d ***k plus clever handling of the ****r to get the right place.

Chapeau for the thinking and handling of that combo by Adam Hudson!
Melencolia I - Magic Squares for the Mental Entertainer * Smart Methods for 4x4, 5x5 and 6x6 Magic Squares * 172 A4-pages * version 3.40
Mr. Mindbender
View Profile
Inner circle
1416 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mindbender
Picked this up yesterday, it's a straightforward 6 page PDF. I like brevity.

The s***k Adam suggests makes the mental work very, very simple - easily done in the "heat of the moment" of performing.

In an effort to make the math super simple though, the s***k doesn't really allow you to turn the cards face-up while counting. But with a little effort, I found a simple way to use any me******d ***k. There's just one added step of math - but again, it's very, very simple.

The end result is that you can use your me******d ***k, turn the cards face up while counting and then when you put the deck back together, you're still in me******d ***k order and reset to go again, or move into another me******d ***k routine.

For the price, if this kind of stuff interests you in any way, it's well worth the price. Well done Adam Hudson!

PS: If you've bought this through Penguin, I posted my process of using a me******d ***k in the forum.
Hushai
View Profile
Elite user
St. Louis, Missouri, USA
449 Posts

Profile of Hushai
Quote:
On Dec 19, 2020, hcs wrote:
I described the well known mathematical principle in my book Melencolia I. This kind of a !@#$**g m****x dates back to Walter Gibson, 1938 and was put into print by Maurice Kraitchik: „Mathematical Recreations,” pp. 182 - 192; W.W. Norton and Company Inc, New York, 1942.

I learned a little bit about the !@#$**g m****x a few months ago -- it was new to me then, and I enjoyed what I learned about it. But then when I saw how Adam Hudson was using it in this trick, it seemed to my untutored eyes to be a new departure. He derives the necessary !@#$**g m****x so easily and quickly, during the performance of the trick. I didn't know you could make one up with so little trouble. Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical equations » » "Sum it Up" (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL