We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Black marker advice for edge of playing cards for card manipulations (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

stuartmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Derby England (UK)
238 Posts

Profile of stuartmagic
One of the great ideas I have picked up along the way is the idea to use a black marker to mark the extreme edge of playing cards to make them easier to "hide" when performing card productions etc.

Now I have experimented with different permanent markers but found that all those I have tried tend to "bleed" over onto the face and back of the cards slightly.

Those that do add this to their cards, what is the make / type of black marker you use and also to colour (color) the face of the cards as shown on the Yu Ho Jin DVD that he shows but never states the make / type of marker that's best for this.

Thanks in advance.

Stuart
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22930 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Never heard of this for manipulation of playing cards. I found out the hard way as well, that the ink bleeds badly.

I was trying to make an unshuffled deck effect, and for a Jumbo rising cards effect.

I then found that they use a marker that is dried up somewhat. In the end, for me it was more trouble then it was worth, after spoiling several Jumbo decks at $15 each. Also throw out several regular decks for manipulation.

Before magic markers, I read they used paint and black shoe polish.
stuartmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Derby England (UK)
238 Posts

Profile of stuartmagic
Quote:
On Dec 26, 2020, Bill Hegbli wrote:
Never heard of this for manipulation of playing cards. I found out the hard way as well, that the ink bleeds badly.

I was trying to make an unshuffled deck effect, and for a Jumbo rising cards effect.

I then found that they use a marker that is dried up somewhat. In the end, for me it was more trouble then it was worth, after spoiling several Jumbo decks at $15 each. Also throw out several regular decks for manipulation.

Before magic markers, I read they used paint and black shoe polish.

Thanks for that Bill. Yes I have ruined many a playing card marking the edge black due to "bleeding" onto the face of cards. As I understood it you should use a permanent marker pen but even with popular brands I find there is still the "bleed" factor.

A large number of manipulation DVD's I have show them doing this to cards as it does help with hiding them for certain effects but they never mention the marker brand they use.

Stuart
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22930 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I believe the rodential manipulators want to cover the edges is because they like to use wear black, so they use "Black Art" methods to help cover an the edges of a stack of cards from showing.

I have performed manipulation with cards for years and never found this a problem. If you keep your hand moving, they the audience cannot focus on any one spot for long.

I use manipulation cards, both bridge and poker, the "million deck", and it was no problem as well. Just build you finger strength to bow the cards behind your hand.

I did read that in the old days, magicians use to just apply black liquid shoe polish, at an angle to the back corners of the cards.

Another thing to remember is your advice was given by an oriental magician, they usually have very thin fingers and small hands. They may be doing the black thing because they have to much of the card, they cannot cover.

Going back in time, the manipulators of the vaudeville days used the old Steamboat playing cards. They were cheap, very flimsy and had a Bee deck type back design. This they said blended with the skin tone very well from stage. Steamboat cards have not been available in a hundred years, only collectors have have the originals. USPCC made them, but they made them with the modern card stock. No good for manipulation. Just to stiff and hard to handle with the plastic coatings.

Good Luck on what you decide on doing. Let is know what worked for you.
Alyx
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Alyx
Hey, I use permanent markers to edge mark a key card for reasons other than manipulation. The trick is to leave the cap off of a sharpie brand permanent marker for a few hours (the longer the better, so long as it can handle your whole deck... I only ever needed to mark a quarter inch on either side of one card). When you get it right, there is no bleeding.

I've also had experience using a pencil eraser to dull any minimal bleeding that I occasionally experience.
Haruspex
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of Haruspex
I never tried them on playing cards but for application where I don't want read-throug or bleeding I like the Tombow AB N15 pens.
They have both a brush tip and a fine normal tip.
It may be worth given them a try.
gregg webb
View Profile
Veteran user
391 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
Peter Marvey (sp) put on the market cards that were black on the back...in case they saw between your fingers, and there was a black curtain, and yet there was a flesh colored stripe just along each edge to blend in with your fingers. This was back at the time he won FISM or some award.
Christopher Moro
View Profile
Special user
782 Posts

Profile of Christopher Moro
I have a lot of experience coloring the edge of cards. You can use a permanent marker. The trick is to do it one card at a time. Use a chisel tip if you can. And very lightly slide the marker across the edge of the card. After you’ve done all the edges, let the card dry. Don’t stack all the cards together until it’s dry. I’ve done this with the thinnest of cards and it helps prevent the bleed. At worst, you will get virtually imperceptible bleed.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Black marker advice for edge of playing cards for card manipulations (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL