The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Any reviews of Al Stanger's Ultimate Poker machine? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Glogal
View Profile
Regular user
Hollywood, California
155 Posts

Profile of Glogal
Mister MoLoTov,
I was interested in your post, but could not see it!...I get "page cannot be displayed!"
Gigi
runawayjag
View Profile
Inner circle
1085 Posts

Profile of runawayjag
Mr. Molotov,

Hi,

PM me your address and I will send you a copy of Gaetan's routine. I personally sold the one to Raphael in Belgium, so know it is genuine. Take care.

John
Parson Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
1939 Posts

Profile of Parson Smith
I had sent Mister MoLoToV a PM suggesting that he ask Mr. Runawayjag for this info.

Once again, this goes to show how much of a gentleman is Mr. Runawayjag. (and a pleasure to do bidness wid.)

Peace,
Parson
Here kitty, kitty,kitty. Smile
+++a posse ad esse+++
Mister MoLoToV
View Profile
New user
Destelbergen
64 Posts

Profile of Mister MoLoToV
Indeed, Mr Parson, it does go noticed! And thx for the PM to!
Parson Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
1939 Posts

Profile of Parson Smith
Mister MoLoToV,

You are welcome, indeed.

Peace,
Parson
Here kitty, kitty,kitty. Smile
+++a posse ad esse+++
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4620 Posts

Profile of Potty the Pirate
Nice gimmick, but does it really stand up to other much simpler, cheaper, and more astounding effects? Sure, the routining can add a whole lot, but at the end of the day, the fact that you need to enter data into the calculator, would make me suspect that at the same time, you're inputting the info for the reveal. How much more astonishing are any number of card tricks that you can read in a book?
Sorry, for me this is another example of "magicians fooling magicians"....
;)
tdowell
View Profile
Inner circle
1075 Posts

Profile of tdowell
Quote:
On 2009-05-06 14:17, Potty the Pirate wrote:
Nice gimmick, but does it really stand up to other much simpler, cheaper, and more astounding effects? Sure, the routining can add a whole lot, but at the end of the day, the fact that you need to enter data into the calculator, would make me suspect that at the same time, you're inputting the info for the reveal. How much more astonishing are any number of card tricks that you can read in a book?
;)

Yes, it really stands up. Be aware that you do not enter the data into the calculator, the spectator does. Even if you suspect some kind of electronic wizardry, there is simply no way any machine or human could fathom the last sequence. It appears as though the calculator "senses" the card.

You should check out John's performance on his best of DVD set. Fooled me bad.
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4586 Posts

Profile of silverking
Quote:

You don't have the Poker Machine, don't understand it, and have never seen it performed.
Any other "spot on" reviews to offer on effects you don't own, and have never seen?

Here's an idea for you.......actually take the time to see the effect before you comment on it!
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3729 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
And you don't enter "data", just the name of the card.

Steve
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4586 Posts

Profile of silverking
AND, whatever cards are entered, the spec enters with his own finger!

It's likely somewhat pointless trying to get some folks to understand just how powerful this routine is, and just how completely deadly the final phase is.

Although the effect requires some practice to be comfortable with, the simple reality is that what's actually going on is not only completely alien to 99% of magicians, but it's also far deeper than 99% of all close up effects even begin to get.

There is quite frankly, nothing else on the market even remotely similar to this effect.
Reading the method and principal behind the Poker Machine will make your jaw drop in it's sheer power and beauty.

I've said it before, this is as close to real magic as it's possible to get.
runawayjag
View Profile
Inner circle
1085 Posts

Profile of runawayjag
Thanks for all the nice comments about the machine. It is exactly as some have said. That is, unless you've actually seen the machine in use, you're not going to realize how strong it plays. Yes, the machine seems to be doing the magic, but properly presented, it is an amazing demonstration and it does powerfully impress both laymen and magicians as there is no explanation as to how it could be done.

With many illusions you put a lady in the box and she zigs and zags or gets cut into many parts or stretches or changes to a tiger, etc. Sure, it's the cabinet that is doing the trick, but properly presented it is a memorable magic experience. The same applies to the Poker Machine on a much smaller scale.

If I knew how to post youtubes, I'd post the L&L demo because that really is the way it should be done. It fooled a roomful of laymen and knowledgeable magicians at that shoot.

So, if it doesn't seem to be your thing, don't buy it. I have no problem with that. Or, if you TRULY believe it's just the machine doing some miraculous discovery of cards and that there's no work on your part, absolutely do not buy it. But, if you're willing to put in minimal work to master it, you will have a very strong trick and you won't believe how many laymen (usually businessmen and card players,) will actually offer to buy the machine from you!

Take care everyone.
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4586 Posts

Profile of silverking
I show this to magicians, almost all of whom have never seen or heard of it before. At least 3/4 of them have insisted I sell it to them, or tried to twist my arm to tell them where I got it from so they could go get one.

I tell them I bought it from an old hustler who was on his death-bed and had no heirs.

I don't use the words "John Mendoza" or "Poker Machine".
In my neck of the woods, I want it for me, and me alone!

..............Sorry John!
Mystification
View Profile
Special user
567 Posts

Profile of Mystification
It is always dangerous to let the spectator input the information into the calculator. What if they hit the wrong key? Also, sometimes you hit one particular key, and sometimes you don't. If you watch the performance, the lady actually starts messing with the calcuator before John is ready. Then, she tries to hit the enter button to "speed things up", but is told to leave it alone.

I love this machine, but I choose to enter the data myself, and let them watch. I don't feel you lose anything that way.

If I have a good smart person Im performing for, I will do the first two phases and THEN let him/her do the last two, just to make sure they don't screw it up.
runawayjag
View Profile
Inner circle
1085 Posts

Profile of runawayjag
The machine allows you to check to be sure entries were properly made. If a spectator hits a wrong key, you just have him/her push "Clear" and re-enter it correctly. If you watch my demo, you see me check every entry to be sure she did it correctly.

As for pushing the "enter" key, that, of course, is part of it, and she only reached for that because I had her do it before. If you notice when I have her push "Enter," I always say, "....sometimes it makes the machine work a little faster..." The operative word is "sometimes," in case the next card does not require it. It has never been an issue in performance. Simply paying close attention to your spectator (without appearing to be doing so,) and audience management eliminates any danger in allowing the spectator to do the entries and the effect is a little more baffling if they do so. But, then again, I have done it for more than a decade so I have a sense of what to expect from the volunteer spectator which is very helpful.

And, I should mention that in the 10 years plus and literally tens of thousands of times that I've performed this routine, I can only think of twice that a spectator made a misentry that had to be cleared and corrected. If you're careful in your instruction, they never miss. It's simply because they have never seen a machine with card values and pips on it, so they look carefully at the buttons when they operate it. It's a case of natural scrutiny and it almost assures no mistakes.
niva
View Profile
Inner circle
Malta (Europe)
2969 Posts

Profile of niva
Can one still find this around?
Yours,

Ivan
runawayjag
View Profile
Inner circle
1085 Posts

Profile of runawayjag
You sure can. Hope you have yours by now and thanks for contacting me.
balloon guy bill
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of balloon guy bill
I bought the Poker machine about 10 years ago but misplaced it for years. I need to get the unit reset but I don't remember where I bought the unit.
I could use help in where to send my machine to get it restored?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Any reviews of Al Stanger's Ultimate Poker machine? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL