The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Question when I do card tricks for people (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
superweird7
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of superweird7
Hi guys
sometimes when I do card tricks that I need to control the spectator card to top the spectator tells me that he would like to shuffle the cards what I do then?
sorry fir my bad ENG
Russo
View Profile
Inner circle
So.California / Centl.Florida / retired Florida
1167 Posts

Profile of Russo
Possible -while he's showing others 'his' card, flip a card to bottom back up -so you can turn deck over it looks like the top of deck-(do this while he's looking away, showing others his card) then have him or you slid his card into deck. (you've secretly turn deck UP right,) pantomime taking his card back out ( holding his invisible Card) pantomime turning the card over and sliding it back in - all pantomime - (also slip bottom card back over). then when you spread the deck, 'His"card is facing Up, all others are facing Down - confused ?? Hope not. Bad English? where are you from ?- put it in your "profile" RR
JonHackl
View Profile
Regular user
Western Australia
198 Posts

Profile of JonHackl
I try to make sure I know what the chosen card is as early as possible in a trick. Then if he wants to shuffle, he can, because I can always reveal it in a different way, or get it back to the top and proceed as planned.

If you're so new that you don't know how to find out what the chosen card is, I'd be happy to share some methods that work for me, as a fellow amateur.
"Magic is the only kind of entertainment where 90% of the audience is trying to ruin it for themselves." - Pete Holmes

https://www.lybrary.com/ivy-p-925586.html
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1995 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
If a certain effect seems to provoke this response, re-think it.
Personally I will just say "no" when they I'm asked for some proof, unless it's already built into the effect, out of principle.

Proof is a rabbit hole, and the fall into it is hell for you and the rest of the audience.
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
Topper2
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of Topper2
If it should happen that the spectator asks to shuffle there are several ways out of the predicament:-

1) Since you've controlled the selected card to the top, you simply agree and hand over the cards, but as you do so you glimpse the index of the top card so you know what it is and can thus find it and complete the trick successfully. To do this you'd first need to slide the top card over marginally and with a small twist of the wrist in handing the pack to the spectator you get the glimpse you need. I know this explanation isn't at all good but this is a standard procedure that can be found in the books (well some of them anyway!).

2) My preferred way though is to palm off the top card as you hand the deck over, let him shuffle and as he hands the cards back you replace the card on top of the pack and get on with the trick. Again, the top palm is explained in the books and is, with appropriate misdirection, rather easier than may appear at first so it is very well worth mastering.

3) If the above does not appeal, you can put a crimp in the card and briefly shuffle it back into the pack before handing the cards over for the spectator to have his shuffle, thus when he returns the deck you can easily locate the card and cut it back to the top. You can use the crimp ruse if you haven't yet controlled the card to the top, since you ensure the card is crimped while it is being replaced into the deck.

4)Another way I like to do it is to spring the cards into my left hand before the card is chosen, this bridges the cards in one direction. After the spectator has pulled out his card and looked at it you fan the pack for him to replace his card but as you do so you ensure you bend the cards in the opposite direction from before, thus the chosen card will be bridged one way while the rest of the deck is bridged the other way. It's then easy to cut to the chosen card.

Of course if you know of a half decent trick you could do with a selected card lost in the deck, that would be a good 'out' to use in such an eventuality. I can't think of one off the top of my head but I'm sure there would be such a trick even if it is a boring mathematical trick, at least it would get you out of a hot spot.
copperct
View Profile
New user
Cincinnati, Ohio
93 Posts

Profile of copperct
Great advice. From my experience, the people asking to shuffle are friends and family who feel more comfortable with asking you to shuffle in the middle of the trick. I have chosen to go with a palm solution as I find these requests are usually made by people who are actively seeking to make eye contact in an act of defiance. I usually amicably make eye contact while simultaneously palming the top card. As soon as I begin shifting the deck towards the person I'm performing for, the eye contact is usually dropped and goes right back to the deck so I try to make sure my loaded hand is away from the deck at this point.

Gaining insight into the chosen card can also allow you to do a face-up spread afterwards to "confirm" the deck is shuffled while also allowing you to place a break at the required spot.

Hope this helps! Keep one step ahead of them in the patter and you may just be able to avoid the situation in general!
JonHackl
View Profile
Regular user
Western Australia
198 Posts

Profile of JonHackl
Copperct, that advice about where the spectator's eyes are likely to be during the request to shuffle is very helpful. I'm very nervous still about palming but that gives me something to think about for routining to make good timing for palms. Thank you!
"Magic is the only kind of entertainment where 90% of the audience is trying to ruin it for themselves." - Pete Holmes

https://www.lybrary.com/ivy-p-925586.html
Nikodemus
View Profile
Inner circle
1174 Posts

Profile of Nikodemus
Consider learning a memorised stack. This is easier than you might assume. Certainly easier than many sleights. And is of course totally invisible - it is a secret weapon.
I chose the 6 Hour Memorised Deck, which was very easy to learn. I had total mastery within a few months of practice.

A men-deck can be used in many ways. One of them is to know the identity of a chosen card.
Fan the deck and let spectator choose one. While they look at it, instead of just closing the spread, you casually cut at the point they took their card. This means the bottom card is the card before the selection in the stack. You just need a glimpse of this to know the selected card.
Even if you were planning a different trick entirely, you just need to hand over the deck face-up when they ask to shuffle. Then you can "discover" their card any way you choose to.
tltq
View Profile
Regular user
east coast
161 Posts

Profile of tltq
I think a good option is to relax and just say "No, I can't let you do that because it will mess up my setup" and smile.

You'll probably get a laugh.
DaveGripenwaldt
View Profile
Elite user
487 Posts

Profile of DaveGripenwaldt
Topper's suggestions are right on point. I'd just add one preventative solution...and that is to volunteer the deck to be shuffled before it matters. Yes, sometimes a spectator wants to try to mess you up, but often times spectators just want to know the cards are "normal", whatever that means, and offering the deck the deck early takes a lot of suspicion away.

Also, several excellent ways of handling the situation are found in a little booklet every card magician should read, called, "Outs Precautions and Challenges". The premise of the booklet is that arming yourself with a few tools will allow you to still come to a fooling conclusion to a trick even if everything goes wrong. What if they grab the deck at the wrong time and shuffle it? What if you need them to name their card and they refuse? What if you simply screw up and lose a selection before knowing what it is? OP&C will show you how to make it so none of that matters and you still triumph.

It was written in the 40s and may be a bit hard to find but it's worth the search. I see copies on ebay all the time.
copperct
View Profile
New user
Cincinnati, Ohio
93 Posts

Profile of copperct
DaveGripenwaldt - is that booklet by Charles Hopkins?
jkr
View Profile
Regular user
Mn
147 Posts

Profile of jkr
Quote:
On Dec 31, 2020, DaveGripenwaldt wrote:
Topper's suggestions are right on point. I'd just add one preventative solution...and that is to volunteer the deck to be shuffled before it matters. Yes, sometimes a spectator wants to try to mess you up, but often times spectators just want to know the cards are "normal", whatever that means, and offering the deck the deck early takes a lot of suspicion away.

Also, several excellent ways of handling the situation are found in a little booklet every card magician should read, called, "Outs Precautions and Challenges". The premise of the booklet is that arming yourself with a few tools will allow you to still come to a fooling conclusion to a trick even if everything goes wrong. What if they grab the deck at the wrong time and shuffle it? What if you need them to name their card and they refuse? What if you simply screw up and lose a selection before knowing what it is? OP&C will show you how to make it so none of that matters and you still triumph.

It was written in the 40s and may be a bit hard to find but it's worth the search. I see copies on ebay all the time.

Also available as a pdf. https://www.lybrary.com/outs-precautions......987.html

Well worth it.
Haruspex
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of Haruspex
First of all I agree with preventing the question from being asked.
However if they do ask I suggest the following.

As soon as they ask if they can shuffle, you say sure you can shuffle as much as you like.
While saying this, Assuming the selected card is on top and the order of the deck does not matter for the effect. I would then put a small crimp into it ( You will notice that it can be very subtle and still work), as I start to do an overhand shuffle.

After that I would do a riffle shuffle while saying, or you can shuffle this way if you like.
Then you hand them the deck for shuffling.

After they give it back, you simply cut the cards take the crimp out and you back where you started.
DaveGripenwaldt
View Profile
Elite user
487 Posts

Profile of DaveGripenwaldt
Quote:
On Jan 2, 2021, copperct wrote:
DaveGripenwaldt - is that booklet by Charles Hopkins?

It is indeed.
SoloDoubleAct
View Profile
New user
North Carolina
83 Posts

Profile of SoloDoubleAct
When the spectator asks if they can shuffle that means they are either being difficult OR they didn't feel like the deck was properly shuffled before; they feel suspicious.

One step to prevent this is to let them shuffle a lot beforehand, so they feel like it is truly mixed and don't feel the need to interrupt and ask to shuffle again. Tell them: "Now remember, you shuffled the deck, but look:" and they will have to admit that they did shuffle already.

Additionally, I would let them shuffle the deck again, if it is at all possible! That either means moving into a totally different effect or controlling their selection again.

If I've controlled the selection to the top, and they ask to shuffle again, I would quickly shuffle the selection to the bottom & peek it. Then hand them the deck, let them shuffle, and reveal their card somehow. One option I often use is to ribbon spread the deck face up and "pulse read" them to find the card. Once again, REALLY emphasizing how they shuffled and this is totally fair and impossible!

Good luck! In a nutshell, let them shuffle & move on! Seem relaxed and that shuffling doesn't matter, and it won't!
SamuraiStag
View Profile
New user
Australia
14 Posts

Profile of SamuraiStag
Great suggestions above.
Definitely agree with Josh Riel and DaveGripenWaldt to look at your performance and wording and find ways of alleviating this suspicion before it arises.
Get them to shuffle before they select. Maybe also give the cards a false shuffle after they have selected.

If you want the security until your performance skills improve, consider getting a marked deck (Cohorts, etc.) which will enable you to know the card without looking or peeking.

If all else fails, TLTQ nailed it with **relax and just say "No, I can't let you do that because it will mess up my setup" and smile.**.
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
If you are using your own deck, there's nothing wrong with using a "stripper" deck (also known as a tapered or shaved deck) until you're comfortable with basic controls when handling a regular (not gimmicked) deck.

Julie
Topper2
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of Topper2
Quote:
On Apr 6, 2021, Julie wrote:
If you are using your own deck, there's nothing wrong with using a "stripper" deck

Unfortunately, if the spectator insists on shuffling the cards themselves and you are using a 'stripper' deck, it is a high risk procedure to allow them to handle the cards as the chances are they may well fumble and drop some cards or perhaps rotate half the deck in attempting to do a riffle shuffle; this eventuality will completely frustrate the use of that ruse!
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
Not necessarily so. It's a logical step to perform something that won't require the use of a stripper deck and allow an audience member to shuffle the (not gimmicked) deck first. Do your trick and put the deck away.

You have observed how he/she shuffles and can go from there by bringing out your stripper deck later and have the same helper shuffle first as before. If they do reverse the halves initially, just do another trick that doesn't require a stripper deck with a different spectator until you find one who "does it right". Smile

This is similar to a procedure used to good advantage in the world of sales: INNOCULATION i.e. address what may become an objection by a prospect BEFORE he voices it.

Remember YOU are in control of the situation. There are many ways to address the concern of a spectator shuffling the deck. Have a selection made from a regular deck. Then turn away while the spectator is looking at and showing the card to the assembled multitude and switch your deck for a trimmed/short deck. etc. etc.

All the suggestions here are good. Repetition in front of live persons will prove what is best for you.

Julie
Topper2
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of Topper2
Quote:
On Apr 6, 2021, Julie wrote:
Remember YOU are in control of the situation.

That's true, thus for an experienced performer the situation of a spectator insisting on shuffling is unlikely to occur, but the O.P. is referring to an occasion when it DOES occur, probably because he is new to magic and is showing some friends a trick and they are determined to squash him. In a case like that it's unlikely he will be prepared with gaffed decks to make a switch at a critical moment, he will be in a spot and just have to get out of it. Gaffed decks are not a good solution in that case, particularly since he may well be using a borrowed deck that someone has thrust into his hands.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Question when I do card tricks for people (7 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL