The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » So, After Everything, How Was Your Year 2020? (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2802 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Hang in there Dave. Be good when you do get it.

Tom
"Entrepreneurs are willing to work 80 hours a week to avoid working 40 hours a week"--Lori Greiner

www.tomboleware.com
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
3910 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Quote:
On Jan 25, 2021, Dave Scribner wrote:
Magically, nothing really changed for me as I haven't performed in quite some time. I did miss going to conventions however. Financially I had a tough year. Lost my job and am still out of work. To compound the problem, I was screwed in this last stimulus package. We file jointly and my wife and I should have both received the $600. Because the IRS is so far behind in processing 2019 returns, they don't have my return on file so they used social security records. Based on that, I earned more than the cutoff and didn't get a check. If they don't get that fixed, I anticipate not getting the new stimulus either if it passes.

On top of that, New Jersey has a rule in their unemployment program that automatically freezes benefits one year from the original filing date. I have been frozen since Dec 19 with no benefits. I was told it takes 4 weeks to correct this. I'm now at 5 weeks and was told yesterday that the processing time is now up to 8 weeks because they are working on all the extentions. On the good side, around mid February, if they are telling me the truth, I should get a check for around $12000. It's just a matter of budgeting and getting to mid February.

Dave, hang in there.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5169 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Still hanging in there. Supposedly New Jersey has fixed their unemployment delay problem for 75000 people but I'm not one of them. Looks like they are going to take every bit of the 8 week processing time to fix my account. Only answers I can get is "wait a little longer". They don't have to pay my bills.
Where the magic begins
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5169 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Well, the 8 weeks came and nothing happened. I called and they resubmitted my problem but said it could take another 8 weeks. This escalation came to 8 weeks and still nothing. Good thing I'm independently wealthy. This makes 16 weeks with no unemployment. Anyway, I had enough and on Monday I sent the lead reviewer at the Department of Labor, who didn't respond to my previous 13 emails, a message indicating I may have to seek legal action. That must have struck a nerve because he responded immediately asking for my phone number. Tuesday morning I got a call from his office. She said the representatives I'd been talking to were giving me incorrect information and their escalation would have no effect. I should have refiled my claim in December and this would never have happened. It took her 5 minutes to refile for me and put my money in the system. I'm supposed to get the entire backlog of payments tomorrow morning. Plus I also got the latest stimulus check. So things are looking a lot better than they were 2 months ago.
Where the magic begins
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2802 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Good, now you can buy us all lunch. LOL

Glad to see you getting it worked out Dave. Well Done.

Tom
"Entrepreneurs are willing to work 80 hours a week to avoid working 40 hours a week"--Lori Greiner

www.tomboleware.com
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2298 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
Dave,

Would you mind sharing the phone number and email with me.

I applied for unemployment from September 1st to mid January. Not only have I not received a dime, I have not received any explanation at all. 8 months! The phone number I have I can't get through and the emails I've sent are no help. I've even be writing to my state senator on a regular basis.

The only thing that has gotten me through this crisis is the fact my expenses are low at this time in my life. No mortgage or car payments, and no kids in the house. If this had happened 10 years ago when we were raising 5 kids and had a mortgage, etc. I don't know what I would have done.

I don't know about other states but the system in New Jersey is truly broken.
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10135 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
That's great news Dave! Systems are definitely broken and overloaded and the info you are offered can vary from each representative you speak to. It's not just NJ either as I've been hearing this from guys in at least a dozen states, I'm sure even more.

Kudos to you for sticking to it and taking action to make it happen.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5169 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Ken, sent you a PM. And my bank account was a thing of beauty this morning. My entire backlog of payments had posted to my account
Where the magic begins
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5169 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Final update on my situation. The back payments of benefits did arrive in my bank on Thursday. The extra $300 a week for 14 weeks arrived in the account this morning so all is good. I'm one of the fortunate ones in New Jersey that got their situation resolved.
Where the magic begins
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » So, After Everything, How Was Your Year 2020? (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL