The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » My Luck Is Yours by John Carey (8 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
magikmax
View Profile
New user
Scotland
62 Posts

Profile of magikmax
No Dan, it certainly doesn't make him immune to putting out anything bad, however going on the strength of the majority of his work, bad is unlikely, although mediocre is always a possibility. He also tends to release things through people, Peter at Alakazam (not immune to stinkers, but generally good releases), the folks at Big Blind Media (again generally good releases) and RSVP (all the stuff I have seen of theirs has been good, but limited experience with them), so generally has a filter.

What I'm getting at is, if John Carey, Liam Montier, Max Maven, Peter Nardi, Jay Sankey and Magic Shug live from his phone in his bedroom each put out a £7.99 download, I'm buying the downloads from John Carey, Liam Montier, Max Maven, Peter Nardi and Jay Sankey based on their reputation, experience and previous catalogue of work long before poor Magic Shug's.

Personally, I think this one is a pass for me, as was his last banknight style routine (and to clarify, that is because neither fit my style, not because I think they are bad), however I have bought several of his DVDs and books, and will continue to watch any trailers he puts out with interest. His Alakazam Academy courses are all excellent value too, particularly if you pick them up before the event.
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
4439 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
Quote:
On Jan 3, 2021, Jack Straw wrote:
So, Mark, releasing 1 garbage download is enough to pay 10% of the monthly bills.

So creators have to release 10 pieces of garbage a month.

I see.

What a racket.

But, of course, I've known that for quite a while.

I have kids to feed and I've never released any garbage effects.

But I'm still waiting to hear from Murphy, so that may change.

Or maybe I'll just release it on my own.

It's relatively easy these days.

Low quality audio and video, jumpy camera shots, incomprehensible instructions, too loud annoying music, screaming girls, abandoned warehouse in a dangerous location setting, piercings and tattoos all over my face and body with my shirt off to show how cool I am- I'll do it all.

Gotta wait until I get the piercings and tattoos first.

I loved this post Jack it’s very funny but also very true Gaz 😊
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
4439 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
I do agree with Martin , David and Dan on this whole debate .
Things have been progressively getting worse for a good while but whether it’s sheer desperation due to Covid 19 I’m not sure , but the amount of stinkers in recent times is rising by about the same rate as the virus imo . Funnily enough the amount of magicians who buy a download when it’s already in a book or on a DVD they already own is also laughable Gaz 😊
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
4993 Posts

Profile of videoman
Quote:
On Jan 5, 2021, Gaz Lawrence wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 3, 2021, Jack Straw wrote:
So, Mark, releasing 1 garbage download is enough to pay 10% of the monthly bills.

So creators have to release 10 pieces of garbage a month.

I see.

What a racket.

But, of course, I've known that for quite a while.

I have kids to feed and I've never released any garbage effects.

But I'm still waiting to hear from Murphy, so that may change.

Or maybe I'll just release it on my own.

It's relatively easy these days.

Low quality audio and video, jumpy camera shots, incomprehensible instructions, too loud annoying music, screaming girls, abandoned warehouse in a dangerous location setting, piercings and tattoos all over my face and body with my shirt off to show how cool I am- I'll do it all.

Gotta wait until I get the piercings and tattoos first.

I loved this post Jack it’s very funny but also very true Gaz 😊

I’d love to see anyone name a single creator who releases 10 garbage effects a month.
I would like to believe you are using hyperbole to try and make your point, but I think you actually believe that.

If I buy something that I believe to be garbage I return it and if it’s a download I contact the dealer and demand a refund.
I read on here daily (sometimes several times a day) about people complaining and saying something they purchased is going straight to the drawer. If you’re one of those people who only complains on this forum and then tosses the item in your drawer then you are part of the problem you are complaining about. It’s only from having to make many refunds and receiving complaints from unhappy customers that will motivate dealers to be more discriminating in which products they sell.

Having said that, although this latest release from John Carey is not my cup of tea I would never feel I could rightfully demand my money back. If you liked the demo then you will get your money’s worth. There is a distinct difference between not liking an effect or method and it truly being garbage. This idea of something being garbage is tossed around here too loosely IMO.
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3366 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
Quote:
On Jan 5, 2021, videoman wrote:
This idea of something being garbage is tossed around here too loosely IMO.

The idea of something being brilliant is tossed around here too loosely IMO -usually by friends of the creator or people wanting the favour returned when they have something to sell.

The posts saying something are garbage are usually more trustworthy than those claiming effects/books are brilliant. Giving a negative opinion risks the traditional Magic Café pile-on.

Anyone who doesn't think there has been a worrying increase in poor downloads in recent years hasn't been paying attention, or has little love for the art. Selling magic shouldn't be the equivalent of those shops that used to open on Oxford Street claiming to sell cheap electronic goods but ended up selling you an empty box. But hey! It's your fault for not being aware as a buyer! What do you expect from a magic store? Integrity? Quality control? Taste? That's for mugs. Do you know how little profit you make from each garbage download? Barely pays the rent for a couple of months.
Merc Man
View Profile
Inner circle
Nuneaton, Warwickshire
2670 Posts

Profile of Merc Man
Quote:
On Jan 2, 2021, David Numen wrote:
I learnt tarot from Joe Riding who was a magician who did tarot readings so, yeah, they'd potentially go to a magician. And if a magician gets tarot cards out and DOESN'T do some kind of reading for his audience then he's clearly more interested in showing tricks than in connecting with his audience. I have a pretty good idea what makes people tick and people HATE being fooled but LOVE being told about themselves.

Now isn't that the truth.

As Joe Riding used to say - "Get the 10 greatest close-up magicians in the World; and one Palm Reader at an event......and see who always pulls in the longest queue".

I learnt Joe's Hand Analysis around 25 years ago. NOTHING entertainment/magic-wise, has ever given me a greater return.

During his last 10 years as a Pro, Joe Riding would often go to work with just a pack of cards, 4 sponge balls and an 'I'll Start Again' Paddle; and with his palm reading techniques , could work a full Evening Close-up AND Stand- up Show.

A man truly worthy of the term - LEGEND.
Barry Allen

Joe Riding (1932 - 2005). "I still miss you mate".
https://magicweek.co.uk/magic_articles/article_joe_riding.htm
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » My Luck Is Yours by John Carey (8 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL