The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » How to assess if they can figure it out (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

PhantomStranger
View Profile
New user
Tri-State Area
82 Posts

Profile of PhantomStranger
As I've gotten more familiar with magic over the last few years I've found I can often watch a trick and assess how it's done correctly. Is it a common wall to run into as you progress as magician where you start thinking everyone will be able to figure out how you did it? It's stopped me from me investing in a new trick a few times already. How do you assess the level of the trick to be able to fool the spectator, as you yourself get better with magic over time? Things that used to fool me no longer do, so I'm struggling with that aspect of it as it relates to audience etc.
Russo
View Profile
Special user
So.California / Centl.Florida
879 Posts

Profile of Russo
Just because it doesn't fool you any longer - doesn't mean it wont fool others - also it depends if YOU are "Entertaining", with it. Don't just do a trick like, "ha ha I FOOLED you" - 70 years in Magic, I have a couple thousand $$ in Magic I don't use - it will/can happen. Check out the forums for ideas and ask - Telling an interesting Story with the effect- not JUST a Trick, helps a lot. Best to you in 2021. RR
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9026 Posts

Profile of funsway
It is good that you recognize this to be a problem, and with the caring will come an eventual balance of "creative" vs "entertain."

But, there are other traps in store for you. One is focusing on method rather than understanding a why an effect is performed the way it is -
especially older "test of time" effects. Knowing "what" and knowing" how" are different issues, and there is "why?"

It is easy to look for ways to make an effect more powerful - even impossible for a fellow magician to figure out.
Then you learn than most observers don't care or can't appreciate the subtleties.
There is now that a possibility that observers reject strong magic if they can't immediately figure it out. Never happened for them.
Toss in the fact that some are now chemically addicted to entertainment and will care nothing about "better" - only "more."

In any situation, look for the "best magic possible" rather than "best possible magic."

My best advice is to learn balloon tying as a backup skill.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
MGordonB
View Profile
Loyal user
Toronto, Canada
256 Posts

Profile of MGordonB
Penn and Teller’s Fool Us show is a bit of a doubled sword. On the plus side it has become a great way to increase interest in magic and generate exposure for magicians around the world. On the minus side, the “fool us” mentality isn’t really doing the magic world any favours. That said, if you really listen to what Penn says after each act, it is clear that with a few notable exceptions the acts that they really, really like are often not the ones that fooled them but rather the ones that entertained them the most.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6891 Posts

Profile of Dougini
As a Magician, you must think differently. I highly recommend this book:

https://www.penguinmagic.com/p/5214

This will change you. Forever.

Doug
PhantomStranger
View Profile
New user
Tri-State Area
82 Posts

Profile of PhantomStranger
Quote:
On Jan 1, 2021, Dougini wrote:
As a Magician, you must think differently. I highly recommend this book:

https://www.penguinmagic.com/p/5214

This will change you. Forever.

Doug

Thanks for the reccomendation will definitely order this. Thanks all for your insight as well, makes a lot of sense. I actually have been watching a bunch of “fool us” lately so that point is well taken too.
SamuraiStag
View Profile
New user
Australia
13 Posts

Profile of SamuraiStag
Tagging onto this post a bit late but I guess it depends whether you are performing for magicians or the average Joe.
If you are performing for magicians, then I suspect you would want to tailor your performance to highlight your technical abilities. They may pick how you do it but can appreciate the technical ability involved and may then give you advice on improving.
If you are performing for normal spectators however, then they will only be suspicious of anything that you are giving unnatural attention to. Why run if you're not being chased?
I have recently adjusted my patter from "I have a normal deck of cards" to "I have a deck of cards". Why? Because most people don't know there are non-normal decks of cards so why raise this prospect.
- Darren.
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3641 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
Entertaining someone is much more important. Nobody really wants to get fooled or feel stupid, but everyone liked to have fun. Don’t worry about someone figuring out the secret. And speaking of complacency, most illusionist just do what they do. They can’t believe that anybody is fooled by their illusions
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » How to assess if they can figure it out (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL