The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Flesh colored paint (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Dan Ford
View Profile
Special user
Illinois
754 Posts

Profile of Dan Ford
I ran out of Tester's Flesh colored paint the other day, (also sold as Wood Colored) it came in a small glass bottle about an inch square and an inch and half high. I looked around the shop for an alternative, and came up with Rustoleum Brand Chestnut Brown and Flat White Spray paint. I sprayed a little of each into a paper cup (50/50) and used a small paint brush. Turned out great. Keeping a can of each on hand just in case! Values may differ depending on your shade of skin.
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1974 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
I.ve used a spray can ,glossy wood tan, over sprayed with Krylon spray clear flat. Much cheaper than Tessor, and it makes great roughing spray too.
Some magic dealers relabel the little spray cans of Tessor clear flat, as roughing spray. The large cans of Krylon are much cheaper.
One of the last living 10-in-one performers. I wanted to be in show business the worst way, and that was it.
Dan Ford
View Profile
Special user
Illinois
754 Posts

Profile of Dan Ford
Quote:
On Jan 12, 2021, ringmaster wrote:

Some magic dealers relabel the little spray cans of Tessor clear flat, as roughing spray. The large cans of Krylon are much cheaper.

I agree with Krylon being cheaper and great for a roughing spray, good point.
MentalistCreationLab
View Profile
Inner circle
1528 Posts

Profile of MentalistCreationLab
Here's the secret to getting good color flesh colored paint. There's a couple of ways to do this I give you one for restoration and leave the rest up to you. Take an old Flesh color painted P&L or Thayer device to your paint store the can put it most times under the color analyzer and replicate the color of paint used. Then you can have the paint mixed in latex or acrylic when using these two media use a good primer which can also be mixed to a lighter color of flesh paint. This new surface will be somewhat flexible and resist flaking off and rubbing wear that was associated with the older lead or oil based paint. Really handy to not only have a correct general color but a finish that will last under working conditions. You can but a pint or a gallon of the paint using this process depending on how much your planning on painting. Also buy a slightly better grade of paint as these paints tend to have better pigment binders and hold up longer than the cheaper paints these places sell. You will also want a actual paint store the reason for this is two fold one is color analysis and the other is color mixing by someone who is properly trained for best results do NOT use the paint mixing person at your local wall-mart as this person is usually not experienced enough and has poor training. Just saying.
Dan Ford
View Profile
Special user
Illinois
754 Posts

Profile of Dan Ford
Great tips Mentalist. You are right on with a professional to mix rather than a part timer.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Flesh colored paint (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL