The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Maybe this goes here? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
I found a trick somewhere in my library. A stack of silver coins turn gold, then turn red, then turn blue, then the top coin has all four colors on it!

It dawned on me that I could do this trick with a stack of cardboard key holders. (white cardboard disk with a metal ring around it and a wire circle to hold the key.) I could take the circle off, get some metallic Sharpies to make the gimmicks with, and I'd be good.

So I did.

Now I can't find the instructions. I THOUGHT they were in Tarbell, but going through the book, I can't find it.

Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Thanks.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Dan Ford
View Profile
Special user
Illinois
754 Posts

Profile of Dan Ford
The trick was called Abbott's Chinese Coins and was sold by Abbott's Magic Company in Colon Michigan. It came with 16 coins and 4 sheets of mimeographed instruction.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Huh. OK, thanks.

So where did > I < see it?
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Dan Ford
View Profile
Special user
Illinois
754 Posts

Profile of Dan Ford
It was advertised in the Abbott's Catalog in the 70's. That is where I found it years ago.
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1995 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
Ed, just tell me every book you've ever perused, every video you've watched, and every magician you've ever talked to or seen perform, and I will tell you where you saw it.

I get paid hourly Smile
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
It was a book, I know that. I've been told it was in "Tarbell" and "Greater Magic." As I don't HAVE "Greater Magic," I assume it has to be in the original Tarbell course book my wife bought me. (She saw the two "Tannen" volumes I'd collected, and assumed this was the same thing, all collected together. We know better, but I didn't want to hurt her feelings. Besides, it IS a good book.)

I just wondered if it sounded familiar to anyone and if they might have an idea where it came from.

In fact. They did. So thanks to them for the help.
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1995 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
Can I charge anyway?

I wish I read Tarbell when I started... it was many years into my experience that I even heard of it.
I often find myself wondering where I learned something. I wonder sometimes if that's a good or bad thing.
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
It is just a thing that is.

Whether it's "good" or "bad" frankly depends on you.
Dan Ford
View Profile
Special user
Illinois
754 Posts

Profile of Dan Ford
If you want to keep it secret, put it in a book for this generation.
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1995 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
Hey, I was raised in the generation of books right before they died! I was 9 years old when Egon told the world "print is dead"
Unfortunately it's difficult to know of every magic book when you have no resources.

If I had known then what I know now... and yet still I buy books some 36 years after they passed away.
Speaking of which, Coin Magic by Rubinstein is a good read, well worth the investment.
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
This particular trick is credited to Percy Abbott in Tarbell #8. The writer describes the effect as being brought to his attention by Percy as "an off-beat effect from the Orient".

You'll find it in the ORIENTAL MAGIC section (lesson 96/page 115) under the name CHINESE COLOR-CHANGING COINS. The instructions are very detailed and illustrated well. The patter revolves around the various ways the Chinese count their money.

Have FUN!

Julie
Dan Ford
View Profile
Special user
Illinois
754 Posts

Profile of Dan Ford
Thanks Julie!!!! Mystery Solved!!
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
OK! Let me look in my big book under "Oriental Magic," I was looking for "coin tricks!" Silly me.
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
F.Y.I. Volume #8 is not part of your big book reprint of the original course. This book includes only the original material in the mail order course. My understanding is that the Tannen volumes 1-6 comprise the original course, but with some items left out and some items added (that could be purchased from Tannen's).

It would be interesting to know details of specific tricks deleted and added.
Anyone know?

J
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
FOUND IT!

I sat down and flipped through EVERY page of the Tarbell Original Course! It turns out it's in Lesson 37, page 511, (There are 898 pages!) "Chinese Color Changing Coins"

This, by the way, is the book;

https://www.amazon.com/Original-Tarbell-......15418376
Dan Ford
View Profile
Special user
Illinois
754 Posts

Profile of Dan Ford
Mystery solved!!
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
Excellent. You are to be commended Ed for your perseverance!

Apparently this is an example of a trick that was deleted from the original mail order course by Tannen's only to reappear in the much later volume #8.

There's a lesson here somewhere... Smile

Julie
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
That's very odd, because this book is supposed to BE the original mail order course!
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Thank everybody for their help and positivity.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Maybe this goes here? (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL