We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Skymember presents MONARCH BY AVI YAP. "Thinking and execution is off the charts." -Chris Kenner (13 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
MurphysNEW
View Profile
Loyal user
286 Posts

Profile of MurphysNEW
"Avi is by far my favorite magician of this era. Just when I thought I have seen his best stuff... He shows me this. The thinking and execution is off the charts."
- Chris Kenner

"That's beautiful!"
- Wayne Houchin

Monarch is Avi's handling of the classic "Chink-a-Chink" effect. A DECADE IN THE MAKING...and being one of Avi's oldest creations, Avi has spent a substantial amount of time to refine every aspect of the routine and the COINS ARE MADE UNDER THE STRICTEST REQUIREMENTS for Avi's EVERYDAY use.

What you will learn in this project is not just an effect or a trick, but an accumulation of experiences that Avi has worked and gathered over the years. Whenever Avi performs, this is usually HIS GO-TO routine, and after learning it, you will understand why!

It's straightforward and highly visual! You could even perform it COMPLETELY SURROUNDED.
What's more, is that this routine is SURPRISINGLY EASY TO LEARN AND DO!

3 VERSIONS AVAILABLE:

Monarch (Quarter) by Avi Yap
https://www.murphysmagic.com/Product.aspx?id=67658

Monarch (Morgan) by Avi Yap
https://www.murphysmagic.com/Product.aspx?id=67660

Monarch (Half) by Avi Yap
https://www.murphysmagic.com/Product.aspx?id=67659
Steven Conner
View Profile
Inner circle
2584 Posts

Profile of Steven Conner
Why do quarters require a gimmick and the morgans do not.

Best

Steve
"The New York Papers," Mark Twain once said,"have long known that no large question is ever really settled until I have been consulted; it is the way they feel about it, and they show it by always sending to me when they get uneasy. "
MR Effecto
View Profile
Inner circle
2618 Posts

Profile of MR Effecto
This looks really good. Will pre order.
PhantomStranger
View Profile
New user
Tri-State Area
87 Posts

Profile of PhantomStranger
Quote:
On Jan 4, 2021, Steven Conner wrote:
Why do quarters require a gimmick and the morgans do not.

Best

Steve

The Morgan’s come with gimmicks as well, he mentions it in the video package. You also get replicas in addition to the gimmicks.
fcchief1
View Profile
Regular user
190 Posts

Profile of fcchief1
Already on the wishlist. I know Avi from a magic group and have seen a lot of his magic in our Zoom sessions. I can't say enough about his coin work as well as his card work. But he showed us this back in June and we were all (including Chris K, Luke D, and a few other well known names) just speechless, jaws on the floor look. Anything by him is worth it, whether this or some of his card work that was released or other coin stuff he put out. Watch the video, nuff said!
jamo425
View Profile
Loyal user
290 Posts

Profile of jamo425
Looks great but am wondering if the gaff is anything new that I don't already own. Hopefully I can perform this with the Walker gaffs I already have.

That aside, for a set of Morgan replicas (which honestly do look great btw), $70 sounds like a steal. Look forward to picking this up.
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
4182 Posts

Profile of emyers99
Is there a gimmick? Says you have to supply your own coins if you want quarter or half. Morgans are ungimmicked. So doesn’t sound like there is a gimmick.
Jack Straw
View Profile
Inner circle
Wichita
1007 Posts

Profile of Jack Straw
Chink-a-Chink.

Boy is that an unfortunate name for a classic effect.
Jack Straw from Wichita, cut his buddy down
And dug for him a shallow grave, and laid his body down
Half a mile from Tucson, by the morning light
One man gone and another to go, my old buddy you're moving much too slow
We can share the women, we can share the wine
fcchief1
View Profile
Regular user
190 Posts

Profile of fcchief1
Quote:
On Jan 4, 2021, emyers99 wrote:
Is there a gimmick? Says you have to supply your own coins if you want quarter or half. Morgans are ungimmicked. So doesn’t sound like there is a gimmick.

They come with gimmick also, from the ad prior to them giving tip on which set would suit you best "Included in this project is not just the routine, but everything you need necessary to perform the routine. Teaming up with the high end coin making company, Alchemist, the gimmick and the coins(Morgan replica) you will receive are amongst the best quality in the world!"
dooblehorn
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburg, CA
2270 Posts

Profile of dooblehorn
WOW, this sure looks good! I'm wondering how difficult this is to perform?
Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4357 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
Can’t perform this on web shows...so never then?
brainman
View Profile
Special user
887 Posts

Profile of brainman
Will this be suitable for very dry hands???
jamo425
View Profile
Loyal user
290 Posts

Profile of jamo425
I don't own the product yet but I have quite a bit of experience with different chink a chink/shadow coin routines.

For the regular routine, you would have some difficulty doing the moves with very dry hands. I'm sure it's the same case here.

But if that's the case just get some good lotion/balm. I use sortkwik which is cheap and perfect for sleight of hand with coins/cards. But there are plenty of other options out there.

In regards to difficulty in general, the moves are actually quite easy to learn but the part that will take some practice is the choreography of everything. Will take time to make it look as good as the performance in the trailer.
magikmax
View Profile
New user
Scotland
82 Posts

Profile of magikmax
I wonder how similar this will be in method to Hysteria by Chad Long. This looks better, but the mention of the gimmick makes me think it will be quite similar
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
4182 Posts

Profile of emyers99
Everything looks like the standard effect until the last coin in the second phase. So I'm assuming that's what the gimmick is for.
MurphysNEW
View Profile
Loyal user
286 Posts

Profile of MurphysNEW
Hey Steve,
All 3 versions require gimmicks, the Morgan comes with 4 extra coins.
Hope that helps.
ocb
View Profile
New user
37 Posts

Profile of ocb
Looks great! But we'll have to find out more details. I'm wondering about how it says "Difficulty: Advanced" on Murphy's website and then "What's more, is that this routine is surprisingly easy to learn and do!" Also, I'm wondering about the cleanup at the end. He seemed a little rushed to get the coins off the table (at least when performing for Wayne Houchin!). Anyway, I'm looking forward to this release and subsequent releases in the "Art of Coins" series.

For reference, here are a couple other great chink-a-chink routines, which are by Takahiro:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkt6snK_0LY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SwvLJ87V2w

Oscar
Magic KL
View Profile
Inner circle
2098 Posts

Profile of Magic KL
Looks really good!
jamo425
View Profile
Loyal user
290 Posts

Profile of jamo425
Quote:
On Jan 5, 2021, ocb wrote:
Looks great! But we'll have to find out more details. I'm wondering about how it says "Difficulty: Advanced" on Murphy's website and then "What's more, is that this routine is surprisingly easy to learn and do!"

Idk why Murphy's would label it advanced. But this is definitely not "advanced" sleight of hand or difficulty. Seems there are just some different touches and whatnot to the original chink a chink routine, and like I said it's not a difficult routine to learn. The main bit that is going to require practice is just the choreography.
Le Petomane
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of Le Petomane
What’s up with the disclaimer?
The sleights demonstrated and coin ring are not included with the purchase.
Wait, what?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Skymember presents MONARCH BY AVI YAP. "Thinking and execution is off the charts." -Chris Kenner (13 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL