The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Skymember presents MONARCH BY AVI YAP. "Thinking and execution is off the charts." -Chris Kenner (11 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
SleightlySpooky
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of SleightlySpooky
Quote:
On Jan 8, 2021, Le Petomane wrote:
What’s up with the disclaimer?
The sleights demonstrated and coin ring are not included with the purchase.
Wait, what?

In the trailer, a card trick and plain coin are demonstrated, and a ring that appears to be made from a coin is also shown.
Steven Conner
View Profile
Inner circle
2518 Posts

Profile of Steven Conner
Does anyone have an opinion about which coin set might play better. It would appear the quarters might be easier but the dollars do look nice.

Best

Steve
"The New York Papers," Mark Twain once said,"have long known that no large question is ever really settled until I have been consulted; it is the way they feel about it, and they show it by always sending to me when they get uneasy. "
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
2475 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
For almost every Matrix 1/2 dollars are the sweet spot for handling and appearance
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
4088 Posts

Profile of emyers99
Based on early comments I’ve heard, sounds like there will be some disappointment with this one.
UnbiasedMagicReviews
View Profile
Regular user
132 Posts

Profile of UnbiasedMagicReviews
The 'move' with the common coin gaff we all have which is used twice in the routine on the trailer just doesn't convince me to part with $50.
YouTube & Instagram - UnbiasedMagicReviews
I buy/review magic to help you make better decisions
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
4088 Posts

Profile of emyers99
I hear it is a re-hash of old moves and that the special move doesn’t always work. Sounds like it should have been released as a $10-15 download. As you said, the gaff is one we all already have and the included ones are apparently fairly cheap considering they aren’t made with real coins.
Daren
View Profile
Inner circle
1937 Posts

Profile of Daren
I have just received the Morgan Dollar version and must say I am very impressed, the quality of the coins are superb in my opinion, very pleased with my purchase
loudini1972
View Profile
New user
Central New Jersey
80 Posts

Profile of loudini1972
Good to know. Mine should be here today so I will report back after receiving it.
coachawsm
View Profile
New user
41 Posts

Profile of coachawsm
Quote:
On Jan 12, 2021, emyers99 wrote:
I hear it is a re-hash of old moves and that the special move doesn’t always work. Sounds like it should have been released as a $10-15 download. As you said, the gaff is one we all already have and the included ones are apparently fairly cheap considering they aren’t made with real coins.

Who did you hear this from? Shipping for this product started 1 day prior your comment.
coachawsm
View Profile
New user
41 Posts

Profile of coachawsm
Quote:
On Jan 13, 2021, loudini1972 wrote:
Good to know. Mine should be here today so I will report back after receiving it.

Do you have a first quick review for us?
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
4088 Posts

Profile of emyers99
Here are my initial thoughts. I ordered the Morgan set. I honestly didn't know what the gimmick was because the ad copy was less than clear. In hindsight, even though I have huge hands, ordering the Morgans was a mistake on a few levels, the main one being that since this is a shadow coins effect, smaller coins make the handling much easier with less potential to flash. Even Avi who is clearly gifted uses half dollar size. So I was an idiot for ordering the Morgans. The coins themselves are fake Morgans as the ad clearly states and they are pretty decent. I have multiple sets of real Morgans and these are the best fakes I've seen. Appearance, weight and sound are all pretty good. For comparison sake, I also have the fake Morgan Split Focus by Greg Wilson and the fakes that come with Monarch are night and day better in appearance. So if you want a believable set of Morgans without paying the big price tag, you will likely be happy with these. Not sure how they made them but the weight and ring are pretty true.

As for the gimmick, this will likely be the biggest area of debate. Many people, myself included, will feel that the ad should have been more transparent about what you are getting. In reality, the gimmick is the most basic coin gimmick that all of us most likely already have. (rhymes with "smell") I already have at least 10 of them including several high quality Morgans. The gimmicks that come with these sets are not made out of real coins. So while the gimmick does look and feel fine, it's not as solid as if it were made out of a real coin. More importantly, the reason this effect is priced so high is simply because they are including a fake coin version of something we all already have. (more on that later).

As for the tutorial, it's well shot and mic'd but the teaching is what I would call bare bones. If you already know shadow coins, you will be able to pick everything up. If you are not familiar with shadow coins, you will be left wanting more. There are definitely MUCH better places to learn the basic shadow coins effect if you are new to the plot. As for the routine itself, there is nothing really new in terms of moves or method. The move that makes this routine slightly different is actually an old Danny Garcia move...and that leads to my next problem. The move is certainly nice (and in Avi's hands looks like a miracle), but the move will not work for everyone. Without saying too much, people with cold/dry hands need not apply. And the bigger the coin you use, the harder the move is to do/cover (another reason why I'm mad I ordered Morgans). I've been trying the move for a while and have never been able to get it to work, certainly not well enough to perform. I'll have to go dig out my jar of Octopalm and see if that helps. If not, this will be completely unusable for me...and I'm assuming a lot of people. He also teaches a quick matrix which can be seen in the trailer. Very pretty but harder than the main routine. You need an extra coin, which is ok if you bought the quarter or half versions but not if you bought the Morgan version because you'll need either another fake morgan which doesn't come with the set (or you can use a real one if you have one)

So for my $70, I got 4 decent fake Morgans (that I didn't need because I already have multiple sets of real Morgans), a decent gimmick (that I didn't need because I already have a ton of real ones), and a routine that is pretty basic with the exception of the main move which I can't do. Coupled with the fact that shadow coins isn't really that practical to begin with since I only ever do strolling/walk-around and never perform seated and I've likely got a routine that will go right into my massive junk drawer of regrettable impulse buys.

As it is, my ultimate conclusion is that this should have been released as a $10-15 download at most. However, if you don't already own the gimmick and you really like the demo, this may be up your alley. Off to go have a scotch and cigar and lament another impulse buy.
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
2475 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
Somebody’s got to take the impulse buy for the team. Thank you.
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
4088 Posts

Profile of emyers99
I’m retiring from impulse buys. Another $70 that should have gone to the kids’ college fund Smile
no2ss
View Profile
Special user
California
748 Posts

Profile of no2ss
Quote:
On Jan 13, 2021, emyers99 wrote:
I’m retiring from impulse buys. Another $70 that should have gone to the kids’ college fund Smile

Until you get a little bored later this week? Smile

I will note, personally, that your ongoing fits of boredom-based impulse purchases (and later reviews) have been quite helpful in saving money for *my* kids' college fund.
e-man
View Profile
Special user
HILTON HEAD,SC
830 Posts

Profile of e-man
Quote:
On Jan 13, 2021, emyers99 wrote:

Eric...Enjoy your scotch.
Smile
我被烹调
ERIC HELVENSTON
ArtIn
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1206 Posts

Profile of ArtIn
Thank you for your review Eric!
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
4088 Posts

Profile of emyers99
Love you guys! Thanks for the morning laughs. Always happy to help and yes, I buy way too much stuff (i know my UPS and Fed Ex guys by name). Here’s to hoping 2021 will be a better magic yr. Last year’s releases had more duds than studs.
Steven Conner
View Profile
Inner circle
2518 Posts

Profile of Steven Conner
From all the comments, "Explanations" by Takahiro may be better.

Best

Steve
"The New York Papers," Mark Twain once said,"have long known that no large question is ever really settled until I have been consulted; it is the way they feel about it, and they show it by always sending to me when they get uneasy. "
loudini1972
View Profile
New user
Central New Jersey
80 Posts

Profile of loudini1972
I'm with Eric on this and echo what he has said. With that, the coins are really well made so $70 for soft morgan replicas and a turtle isn't that bad.
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
4088 Posts

Profile of emyers99
Yes, I agree. If you have always wanted to do say a shelled coins across routine with Morgans but don’t want to spend $350 on a real set, that would be a reason to buy this set at $70. By far the best fake Morgan’s you’re likely to find.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Skymember presents MONARCH BY AVI YAP. "Thinking and execution is off the charts." -Chris Kenner (11 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL