The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Larry Anderson's Jawdropper tapes (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Young Freak
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of Young Freak
OK, I have these tapes and have had them since they came out, I was just wondering how many of you have this set and what you think about it!
I find it a bit cheezy but there is some good stuff
just because I am young does not mean I can't do the things I do.
jkr
View Profile
Regular user
Mn
147 Posts

Profile of jkr
I recieved a set for Fathers Day a few years back. There are about three effects on each tape that I really enjoy. For an impromtu effect Electrostatic Toothpicks has been quite effective. My all time favorite (I forgot the name) is the one where you take two bills cut them in half and then immediately show them restored. That has always been a killer for reactions.

Jake
samuelchong
View Profile
Loyal user
Penang
237 Posts

Profile of samuelchong
It's good, clear explanation, suitable for beginners yet there are still some useful stuff for the intermediate learners.
Staggerlee
View Profile
New user
Chicago
61 Posts

Profile of Staggerlee
I've found that most of the tricks are just filler.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
For someone just starting, I think they were pretty good. Heck, the Hanunted Bill was worth that tape alone.
:dancing:
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Bradley Morgan
View Profile
Special user
702 Posts

Profile of Bradley Morgan
Their is a few good things in them but only one thing I use for my shows and it is not a trick. Smile

I don't want to give it away but it get great reactions and double takes. They just don't believe you when you pull the (Something)out. Its great!!

Best,
Brad
"I do not know with what weapons World War 3 will be fought, but World War 4 will be fought with sticks and stones." - Einstein
Ron Crumley
View Profile
Elite user
1950 - 2012
448 Posts

Profile of Ron Crumley
While it's true this video set doesn't represent what's considered "main stream" magic, there are certain elements that can be gained from this set.

One specific effect from the set I use when I'm in a setting with a high noise level is Never the Twine Shall Meet. (it can be done with hand motions only) It's a C&R string handling. While the set up/creation of the string has been included in earlier books, this video reminded me of how convincing this effect can be, even when the spectators are burning your hands.

Keeping the fact in mind: "Presentation makes the effect", this set has selective elements which have potential value, in the right hands. (sometimes we need to get away from the magician's mind set and consider the spectator's)

Corny, cheezy, and more than obviously staged? Sure, but again, watch it for potential and odds are you'll see material you can use.
RxGregory
View Profile
New user
St. Charles, MO
65 Posts

Profile of RxGregory
I bought the set a long time ago and paid something like $39.95 for them. "Buy now, and you'll get the bonus miracle deck!!" Great, a non-Bicycle Svengali deck...back then I didn't know how useless that would be. I had a friend of mine who's into magic borrow them about a month ago, and he was pleasantly surprised. Yeah, there are some (as Ron Crumley noted) cheezy and corny effects, but I recently watched them again and have used a couple at the dinner table. They're good for a few laughs, and the one I still use is the self printing business card. You can buy the whole set on ebay for six bucks now, which is a great buy even if you only use one trick out of the bunch.

Greg
If it was easy, everybody would do it, and if everybody did it, it wouldn't be magic.
David Roth (Ultimate Coin Magic Vol. 11)
deerbourne
View Profile
Regular user
Centennial, CO
174 Posts

Profile of deerbourne
I got those some time ago and my son still asks me to bend spoons...

Personally, I like a few tricks off of each tape as well, but what I really liked was his care of the 'special' coin off the volume of the same name.

I hadn't seen anything that covered the use of the gimmick that well until then (even if the routines could have been better).

Deerbourne
Frank Tougas
View Profile
Inner circle
Minneapolis, MN
1712 Posts

Profile of Frank Tougas
I have had the set for quite some time now and I consider them to be a excellent quality set. Sure the tricks are so called "beginner" level but many working professionals use beginner level tricks interspersed with more difficult ones to great effect and advantage.

I'd say if you can't find one or two "keepers" from each of the four tapes, then you're just not using your noggin.

I wonder if Crazy Man's Handcuffs had been presented as a Jaw Droipper trick rather than having been shown on national television by DC if it would have carried the same respect it does among close-up and walk-around performers.

I have seen top names do things I've later found in "magic for Dummies". Now there is something to ponder.
Frank Tougas The Twin Cities Most "Kid Experienced" Children's Performer :"Creating Positive Memories...One Smile at a Time"
rannie
View Profile
Inner circle
4375 Posts

Profile of rannie
Sometimes it is in "beginner,s" and "cheesy" videos and books that we actually find forgoten gems.
"If you can't teach an old dog new tricks, trick the old dog to learn."

-Rannie Raymundo-
aka The Boss
aka The Manila Enforcer

www.rannieraymundo.com
www.tapm.proboards80.net
stephen secret
View Profile
New user
mpls.
67 Posts

Profile of stephen secret
Rannie you are correct. I went down to the library to check out the tape and can see some possible things I may use.

Sincerely, secret
sincerely, secret
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2004-06-24 14:49, rannie wrote:
Sometimes it is in "beginner,s" and "cheesy" videos and books that we actually find forgoten gems.

Man, isn't that the truth!!!
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Larry Anderson's Jawdropper tapes (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL