The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Close-up levitations...thoughts (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Chad Sanborn
View Profile
Inner circle
my fingers hurt from typing,
2206 Posts

Profile of Chad Sanborn
This is a throw back to another post by Ben Harris on stage levitations. If you do the balducci, or any other type of close-up levitation, you would suffer from the same effects the Ben brought up. Ie;your hair, clothes etc. do not float as well. What if you built up a presentation around this premise. That if you really could float, that things on your person, and that occupy the same space should float too. Maybe even nearby objects would be affected in some way. To that end you could do your Balducci lev. and things would float out of your pockets, then fall to the floor as you decend back down. nearby objects would move or twitch as you did this as though they were on the edge of your weightless circle!

just an idea. All of which is possible. but maybe not practical.

Chad Smile
Steve Landavazo
View Profile
Special user
Northern California
654 Posts

Profile of Steve Landavazo
Hi Chad!

What a great post! I think your reasoning definitely applies, because it seems reasonable a, "weightless circle" would be the norm if one of the objects were already weightless.

I know that Steve Fearson seems to have taken it to this step with , "Fearson’s Box", because in the end of his routine, the box floats as well as the person!

It sounds as if you are thinking along the lines of what Steve’s intentions were when he invented the trick.

Gosh, I can imagine it now! Everything in the immediate area sort of taking a life of it’s own and kind of, "eerily" floating with the rest of stuff, and then gradually falling to the floor. Sounds cooooool!!!

A lot of applications possible! Maybe even, "static hair" too, which wouldn’t be that difficult to do!

It seems that when Blaine did his "Balducci", the "slow and deliberate" side arm movements may have been meant to resemble your main idea!

What a fun idea! If you take it any further, please post what you come up with!

Your Friend in Magic! Smile
Courage is the willingness to be afraid and act anyway!
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5733 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
See the second Star Wars film. When Yoda is teaching Luke about levitating and balance there are many objects being affected around him.
Fantasy Knight
View Profile
Loyal user
Toronto,Ontario,Canada
244 Posts

Profile of Fantasy Knight
Hello everyone,
Tricky Ricky here, just thought I would ask a question, there is several close-up levitations such as balducci, zero gravity, pocket lev, Fearsons (anyone) and not shurr of others, but my question to all reading this is, which one do you think is best and why, my shop sells more close-up lev. then anything I sell, HATS OFF too David Blaine. Don't let price be a factor, anyone you think and why you feel that way!

Magically Yours Tricky Rickys Magic and Fun Shop

Smile
Smile
Grew up near one of the greatest minds in magic the late Stewart James, in a town called Wallaceburg just 15 mins from Courtright where James could be found, time and time again he would inspire me to always be creative and just love all magic.
TrainingMagi
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of TrainingMagi
You know, you could do the "wieghtless circle" idea as a bizzare magic effect. Did you know (and this is for real) that there is something in witchcraft known as a magicians circle? It was a circle made of white chalk, usually used for the conjuror to stand in while summoning up demons. The demons would be pretty angry when they were summoned because supposedly demons did not like to be summoned. Now, the demons could not enter the conjurors magic circle, and heaven help the man who stepped out of his circle without banishing the demons back, for it was said that the minute the conjuror stepped out of the circle the demons would literally tear him apart. There was an account in history where a conjuror created a magic circled and said the incantation to summon up demons, the demons were summoned ut turned invisible, the conjuror, figuring his spell didnt work, stepped out of the circle, and he was torn apart. Now, what you could do, is explain to the audience what a magic circle is, draw a circle with white chalk around yourself, perform a Balducci Levitation in the circle, and have objects move outside of your magicians circle, supposedly caused by the "angry demons". The only problem is finding a way to make the stuff move without having threads crisscross your room or have you moving all over the place. Just some thoughts.

The new comer Smile Smile Smileanc Smile Smile Smile Smile
Saydean
View Profile
Loyal user
Omaha,Nebraska
206 Posts

Profile of Saydean
The problem with all these close up levatations is the height factor. If one can float why limit it to a few inches? We do a vertical levatation where mt wife goes up about 5 ' in the air and the audienmce is only 6'' away from the stage . I think that levatations are some of the greatest effects in magic,they grant the power to fly unaided to you, or so we would have the audience belive. Check out the April issue of MUM and you will see the ad for the levatation we do . What I really want to see is a simple device that would give 8-10 foot of lift. Would'nt that be great?
TrainingMagi
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of TrainingMagi
You could say as an excuse to only floating a couple of inches is this, "I could fl;y around this room, but due to room constrictions, i'll just give you a small demonstration". Just another thought.

The New Comer Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
Jeb Sherrill
View Profile
Inner circle
Elsewhere
1161 Posts

Profile of Jeb Sherrill
Well, a few inches is all you really need close-up (not that five feet wouldn't be great). But people expect things to be big and exaggerated on stage, so floating a few inches is like vanishing a coin instead of a car. They're blown away just because you're right in front of them in their living room.

Sable
Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
I don't believe in reincarnation, but I may have in another life.
TrainingMagi
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of TrainingMagi
Good point.
Saydean
View Profile
Loyal user
Omaha,Nebraska
206 Posts

Profile of Saydean
Due to my fat fingers I said 6" in my previous post. I meant 6 '(feet)
OOOPS!
Jeb Sherrill
View Profile
Inner circle
Elsewhere
1161 Posts

Profile of Jeb Sherrill
Quote:
Due to my fat fingers I said 6" in my previous post. I meant 6 '(feet)
OOOPS!

Ah. I thought your audience was rather close. Smile

Sable
Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
I don't believe in reincarnation, but I may have in another life.
Fantasy Knight
View Profile
Loyal user
Toronto,Ontario,Canada
244 Posts

Profile of Fantasy Knight
Just a comment. I do zero gravity and I blow everyone away with it. When asked about height, I say give me a pillow in case I fall. I take my coat off and do a pocket levitation and that's high to them. They kiss the ground I was standing on. Isn't magic getting stonger everyday?
:magicrabbit:
Grew up near one of the greatest minds in magic the late Stewart James, in a town called Wallaceburg just 15 mins from Courtright where James could be found, time and time again he would inspire me to always be creative and just love all magic.
RangeCowboy
View Profile
Regular user
Long Beach
198 Posts

Profile of RangeCowboy
re-weightlessness,

I believe the trick to making the audience believe in total wightlessness is to simply give them a few visual clues that would tempt the eye to believe that the entire cabinet is affected by that phenomenon.

So have it on curtains, clothing or other fixtures in the cabinet area. Have a blower kick up a draught and make hair, streamers or silks defy gravity. Of course now we need a reason for the silks to be there.

I have thought about using little silk streamers like you might see on a hot air balloon or a zeppelin and explained as electrostatic charge detectors or whatever.

Heck, stick a 500,00 Volt Van DeGraaf generator in the cabinet and lets make real static cling. Now throw a large long-haired Persian cat in and watch the sparks fly - literally. The cat goes squealing three times around the ceiling of the cabinet - that's more anti-gravity evidence for you.., magi scarred for life...

Oops, shouldn't this be in the Bizarre section?
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
1486 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Saydean -

Do you have advertising and photos for your levitation effect on a web site ? Would love to see a Quicktime or Real Player movie clip of the effect.

Thanks.

David
Ben Harris
View Profile
V.I.P.
wowbound.com
2099 Posts

Profile of Ben Harris
Hate to throw another "visual image" in here, but this is one that I've been battling with for years.

In regards the "standing" levitation, of which there are quite a few.

I've ALWAYS wanted to focus attention on the SHADOW. I want to hear the audience GASP as they see the shadow of my toes slowly slide away from the real thing.

Psychologically, its a great convincer.

Unfortunately, I can't find a method that allows such a visual for real world performing conditions.

One day...

Cheers

Ben Harris
+ "Top 10" Best-Selling author at Lybrary.com
+ Proud sponsor "Genii Magazine's 75th Anniversary Convention"
+ Inventor of the world famous Floating Match
+ WOWBOUND.COM
Saydean
View Profile
Loyal user
Omaha,Nebraska
206 Posts

Profile of Saydean
Dai ,go to http://www.lorenzoandlorraine.com today is sneak preview day the video and pics are there
Saydean
hackmonkey
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1093 Posts

Profile of hackmonkey
In regards to Mr Harris's idea about the shadow, there was one effect that I remember called the ghost jump. The effect was, you tell the spec's that you are practising a levitation but have not perfected it yet. You then face the audience and jump, but instead of coming straight back down you hang I the air for a few seconds. You jumped about 6 inches that should be high enough to see your shadow move away. It involved special shoes, the audience was able to see under you and from what I remember, your shadow should look separated from you. It was not the easiest or most practical to perform, but you could do it anywhere pretty much on demand. I think I saw it posted on the original magic library before it became part of ultimate magic. If not, I may have the file tucked away somwhere.
Look behind you...on your left...thats the real world.

http://www.instagram.com/JoePiperMagic
Brad Jeffers
View Profile
Veteran user
328 Posts

Profile of Brad Jeffers
Chad, What an interesting concept! Everyone is familiar with what actual weightlessness looks like because we've all seen films of astronauts in zero gravity ... everything floats! It would be great if you could reproduce that same effect, here on earth. I think however, that in the balducci levitation, the fact that the hair and clothing do not also float upward, is one of those discrepancies that simply goes unnoticed. They must be looking at your feet, anyway. Yours is a good idea though, and I can tell by your picture that you've been working on it ... you've already mastered the hair levitation bit!
bdormer
View Profile
New user
Maryland, USA
49 Posts

Profile of bdormer
Hmmm - I did a quick check with my local witch (don't ask) and the official word is that a magic circle (not magicians circle) is made with salt, not white chalk. Demons are apparently alot like garden slugs - they don't like salt (high blood pressure, perhaps?)

If you really want to do it right, you need 5 candles and you draw a pentagram inside the circle.

If you do this on a new moon or full moon at midnight, or on Halloween, I can not be held responsible if you open a doorway to another dimension (call the Ghostbusters).
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
16989 Posts

Profile of joseph
Quote:
On 2001-11-21 07:22, Chad Sanborn wrote:
Ie;your hair, clothes etc. do not float as well. What if you built up a presentation around this premise. That if you really could float, that things on your person, and that occupy the same space should float too.
Chad Smile

Solution: Shave head and back, and float in birthday suit....
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Close-up levitations...thoughts (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL