The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Card Warp Problem (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Boroballa
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of Boroballa
I was doing some card magic for a group at a party, some seemed like tough cookies but not really that bad. I was going to perform card warp but it was hard because I couldn't find out how to tear the card under cover. So I had a girl pick 2 cards I took one told her to fold one the fat way and while I said I was going to fold mine the other way. I had to turn my back to "prepare" it, trying not to expose anything here. But one kid was standing there and there was no way I could do it in front of him. So I walked farther away and did it. Then to make it short, I did the effect and the kid said, "wait that card was messed inside. Then after he took the cards and turned to do the same thing but didn't, my little cousin did it with the cards out in the open and I was so obvious. If you do that it's going to happen, or something like that trying to deny it. It just seemed like it was easy to figure out and it sucks because I feel now that the effect is exposed to a number of people. Anyone got any presentation ideas or anything else to take their mind off the card inside being "rigged" besides preparing the card. Thanks; I just don't want this happening again to what can seem to be such a hard-hitting effect.
BradleyNott
View Profile
Veteran user
Westwood, CA (UCLA)
351 Posts

Profile of BradleyNott
Tear beforehand and plan to do the effect in advance.

Never make magic a challenge.

Be relxed about the torn card pieces in the end, then...PUT THEM IN YOUR POCKET and go on to do something else...DON'T LET THEM TOUCH THE CARDS but don't treat the cards as if they held so deep secret, just casually show them after the trick is doen and they've been torn, then pocket them as you take out your next trick, etc.

Good luck with practicing, and don't allow your spectators to burn you if you can help it.

-Brad
If you were a hotdog, and you were starving...would you eat yourself? I know I would!
chrisrkline
View Profile
Special user
Little Rock
965 Posts

Profile of chrisrkline
Three things. First, calm down. Second, if you had never done the effect in front of people, starting with an unprepared deck then you should not have done the effect. Run off the bathroom before you do it next time and prepare the card. Third, run your posts through a spell checker. I really stopped reading after two or three sentences.

Posted: Jun 13, 2004 10:43pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On 2004-06-13 22:37, BradleyNott wrote:
Tear beforehand and plan to do the effect in advance.

Never make magic a challenge.

Be relxed about the torn card pieces in the end, then...PUT THEM IN YOUR POCKET and go on to do something else...DON'T LET THEM TOUCH THE CARDS but don't treat the cards as if they held so deep secret, just casually show them after the trick is doen and they've been torn, then pocket them as you take out your next trick, etc.

Good luck with practicing, and don't allow your spectators to burn you if you can help it.

-Brad

---------------------------------------------
I don't see the problem letting the specs handle the torn cards. I usually give them out to the spectators.
Chris
Boroballa
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of Boroballa
Sorry I did not check spelling. I was not talking about after with them handling the cards I was talking about during the effect one person might of saw the "rigged" card. I just was not happy because my little cousin thought he had it figured out and actually did something like it with the cards. Thanks for replys though.
BradleyNott
View Profile
Veteran user
Westwood, CA (UCLA)
351 Posts

Profile of BradleyNott
I was just trying to prevent reverse-engineering
If you were a hotdog, and you were starving...would you eat yourself? I know I would!
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Buy a copy of Darwin Ortiz at the Card Table and look up his Card Warp Deck.
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10960 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Take a look at my "warped and restored "I tear the card right under the spectators noses. And this is done surrounded. This effect is on my dvd.

PM me and I'll send you a demo of how I tear the card.

vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
Samuel
View Profile
Special user
Norway
831 Posts

Profile of Samuel
Vinny:

That's a totally different trick though...
Samuel

Magic is everywhere
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10960 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Yes but I do the same tear using my effect when I do card warp even thought the effect is different.
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
Platt
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2015 Posts

Profile of Platt
Boroballa, no offense, but I think you have some bigger issues than magic to worry about. Please, for the love of God, learn how to write a coherent sentence.
Sugar Rush is here! Freakishly visual magic. http://www.plattmagic.com
Boroballa
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of Boroballa
If you want to get into a writing contest maybe I could call up my English teacher and we could set something up. Who are you to say I can't write a sentence when I did not spell check one time. I do take offense to it because it sounds to me like you are talking down to me as if you think you are more intelligent than me. If it makes you happy you can quiz me on my knowledge of the English vocabulary and sentence structure. I don't know maybe because you can correctly include the word coherent in one of your sentences it makes you a master of the literary arts. So if you're done criticizing other people for spelling errors maybe we can get back to magic, unless you want me to write 10 compound sentences with coordinate conjunctions for you.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
TIPS:
1. I don't think it's a "Card Warp" problem.
2. Never turn your back to any spectator.
3. Never put your hands behind your back to select a card, shuffle, or anything else.

2,3 reek of bad magic.

If you're not prepared to do something then don't do it.

Because magic is so "magical", it makes you want to run out and try everything right away; well before you're ready. Ignore the temptation. Practice, practice, practice.

Never do anything unless you're completely prepared and confident that it will work 100%.

Lastly, if you're performing for friends, believe me... they already know that you're their buddy and NOT a real magician and you can't DO real magic.

They are very difficult spectators to perform for. For all of us. This means that you need to be prepared and 200% confident that you will pull it off. You need to be prepared for grabby, cocky, smug, mean, rude spectators.

Don't do anything for them until your performance is as smooth as glass.

Learn and move on!!!
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Kevin Ram
View Profile
Special user
Travelling through Europe
791 Posts

Profile of Kevin Ram
I second getting the Ortiz book At the Card Table.
"Your the Italian stallion" As said by my g/friend
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
If you fold the card the 'fat' way to illustrate, and then fold your card the 'skinny' way ... it will be creased and much easier to tear later.

Once a card is creased it can be torn quietly after you get one card inside the other. Just a bit more creativity and you are all set. Hold the cards close to you and say something as your open the fold and use your thumbs to pull... and the job is done.

BTW, your writing is okay. Spelling and grammar help the folks who don't read very well. Smile
...to all the coins I've dropped here
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2004-06-14 10:10, Platt wrote:
Boroballa, no offense, but I think you have some bigger issues than magic to worry about. Please, for the love of God, learn how to write a coherent sentence.

I believe that this commentary would have been better received if it were in a PM rather than in an open forum.

I've been guilty of the same lack of decorum. Let's both try to do better.
Kenardo1
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of Kenardo1
You can have the spectator hold or fold one of the cards as you make the tear. Or you can make some kind of reasonable excuse fitting in with your presentation to turn around and tear. Either way make sure your movements and motivation are natural.
Samuel
View Profile
Special user
Norway
831 Posts

Profile of Samuel
You could just cover your tear with the hands, as you casually wait for them to finish folding - covering up with some patter...
Samuel

Magic is everywhere
Nikos
View Profile
Regular user
115 Posts

Profile of Nikos
When Ammar does it on one his Easy to Master Card Miracles videos he has the card pre-torn. He just goes through the desk casually and pulls out two cards. He hands one to a spectator and asks them to fold it in the manner he asks while he openly folds the other card.
Michael says that you don't need to worry about the spectator seeing the tear as it is not easy to see anyway.
If you don't want to use this method you could use a force. Fan the cards have the spectator touch two cards (outjog the cards) but replace one of the selected cards with the pre-torn one.
I can't recall the name of this control but you fan the cards have someone point to a card you and when you outjog it you swap it with the force card. Any help from the more knowledgable card guys?
Jonathan P.
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium
1484 Posts

Profile of Jonathan P.
For the torn pieces, Michael close suggests to tear the pieces once more, ending with 4 quarters. So, you finish the effect, you let the spec. register the ending. And THEN, casually, your tear the two pieces in half, throwing the quarters on the table. Quite more difficult to play with the pieces to backtrack the inside work.

PS: it's another story, but he is prepared for a restoration of those pieces too.
Mike Walton
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
984 Posts

Profile of Mike Walton
Quote:
On 2004-06-13 22:40, chrisrkline wrote:
Third, run your posts through a spell checker. I really stopped reading after two or three sentences.

Chrisrkline, that's funny that you mention spell checker. I checked your posts, namingly the "Too perfect theory" post and you have several words spelled incorrectly.

I believe this is a magic forum, but if you prefer it to be a spelling competition, then you should work on your own spellng before you fault others.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Card Warp Problem (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL