The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Looking for Chinese cosmetic purse for Paul Green's 2 Copper Silver routine (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Mike Walton
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
984 Posts

Profile of Mike Walton
I'm looking for an inexpensive Chinese (silk or satin, but I'm guessing satin) cosmetic purse or coin purse for Paul Green's 2 Copper Silver routine from In the Trenches (which is very good by the way).

I've checked online and am striking out. It best resembles these little Chinese wallets, but I don't want to buy $75 worth of Chinese imports. This little purse also should have a layer inside to separate the inner pouch.

Anyone use this routine and know where to find this Chinese coin purse?

Thanks in advance.
mystre71
View Profile
Inner circle
martinsburg west virginia
1683 Posts

Profile of mystre71
Try the magic warehouse, they used to have them.
Walk around coin box work check it out here https://www.magicalmystries.com/products
mike gallo
View Profile
Inner circle
1341 Posts

Profile of mike gallo
I've seen these purses in various malls that have shops specializing in Oriental interior things for your home, so best I can say is...check out the mall.

Mike
Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2914 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
Ask Bob Little for one. He has the best coin purses I have ever seen, I think he mentioned that Bloom uses them.
Dan LeFay
View Profile
Inner circle
Holland
1371 Posts

Profile of Dan LeFay
Layaudiences often make funny remarks about my little leather purses. I wouldn't want to think what they might say if I brought out something like your picture shows... Is the style really necessary? Aren't there other styles that would fit the technical demands of the routine?
"Things need not have happened to be true.
Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths,
that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes,
and forgot."
Neil Gaiman
Mike Walton
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
984 Posts

Profile of Mike Walton
I'm using a CSB set so this purse matches the international theme, especially since one coin is "Chinese." Ideally, I would find one wallet/purse that is red with some Chinese writing on it, but I'll see what's out there.

Haven't found anything just quite yet. I'll check into the recommendations though. Thanks for the posts everyone.
JimMaloney
View Profile
Inner circle
1184 Posts

Profile of JimMaloney
What about using a small red envelope and writing some Chinese on it yourself? Just make sure you know what it is you're writing! It'd probably be best if it went along with the theme of the red envelope and the money that's inside.

-Jim
Books and Magazines for sale -- more than 200 items (Last updated January 17th, 2014. Link goes to public Google Doc.)
Mike Wild
View Profile
Inner circle
NY, PA, TX, MA, FL, NC
1290 Posts

Profile of Mike Wild
Mike,

The Magic Warehouse definitely has them for short money, near the bottom of the page... $1.50 each.

Best,
Mike
<><>< SunDragon Magic ><><>

"Question Reality... Create Illusion"
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4866 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
I bought one of these a year ago on Canal St in Chinatown for $2.50. They come in different sizes. Mine had a snap closure and a zipper compartment. I think I saw these in Walmart recently. Make sure you know the dimensions before ordering since some of the purses are quite small.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27157 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Those little red envelopes have LARGE cultural significance to the Chinese. Please spend a few minutes reading about what they are before you jump into this project. A few minutes of web search and reading: search for 'Chinese, red, envelope, gift' and you might find great ideas for a routine.

You might like this info.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Spydur
View Profile
Special user
PDX, now San Diego...back to PDX
966 Posts

Profile of Spydur
I had a friend of mine give me a gift. It was three small coins weaved together with twine and placed in a red envelope. This gift signifies prosperity and wherever you place it, it will bring you good luck. Some people place them in their wallet to bring them more money. (Hint, Hint.)

By the way this is a true story.

C
JimMaloney
View Profile
Inner circle
1184 Posts

Profile of JimMaloney
Quote:
On 2004-06-14 11:26, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Those little red envelopes have LARGE cultural significance to the Chinese.

Precisely why I suggested a little red envelope. Three coins threaded on a red ribbon is also a good start for a presentation of Charming Chinese Challenge.

-Jim
Books and Magazines for sale -- more than 200 items (Last updated January 17th, 2014. Link goes to public Google Doc.)
Woofledust
View Profile
New user
Connecticut
76 Posts

Profile of Woofledust
Go into Ebay and do a search on "Chinese pouches 3 x 2.5". An Ebay store called Lotta Display will come up. You can get six purses for $2.50 or 12 for $4.75, enough to last a lifetime (well, I'm pretty old). Postage is only around two or two and a half bucks. You do not have to bid on these items.

You can also find dozens of similiar items on their website including other sizes of the pouches. I found the 3 x 2.5 inch ones to be perfect for me. They shipped immediately even though mine was a small order.
Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2914 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
I also know that http://www.magicproshop.com has a lot of coin purses on it that might be good for the trick.
briantwig
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of briantwig
Check out your local Asian market.
constantine
View Profile
Regular user
Memphi, on the Mighty Muddy
189 Posts

Profile of constantine
Check out this one.
Constatine 49%er
“The way of the transgressor is hard—to quit.”
—Jefferson Randolph “Soapy” Smith
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27157 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
The red envelopes are one topic.

The coins on a ribbon are another topic.

One is a gift for spending, the other is something that one can give as a gift, and has its own significance.

It is UNUSUAL to remove the coins from the ribbon. I suggest that you look up the use of the coins on ribbon ornament and consider how such a routine would play. On another thread I suggested getting the coins and knots onto the ribbon and giving the thing away.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8695 Posts

Profile of harris
One of my new non-magic magic store is called World Market. It is similar to Pier One Imports.

I live in Kansas, United States of America.

If you like story magic, they are a great source for fun props.

Regarding comments to leather purses, I used to work at Kansas' oldest bed and breakfast (AKA Lansing Correctional Facility). As a counselor in the maximum security yard, I used magic often as a way to connect with the men and as well as have fun myself. "Nice purse" was one of the comments I received. As one who embraces both his masculine and feminine side, this was not a big deal. My magical wife Annie, is a great supporter of my unusual props.

Speaking of unusual props, I just got a mini wallet from Magical Creations. After a trip to my Office Max I had color duplicates of my ID and other cards. It has played well in my morning programs.

Harris Deutsch
Laughologist

Enjoy the journey.

Harris
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Victor Brisbin
View Profile
Elite user
Washington, DC / NOVA
432 Posts

Profile of Victor Brisbin
If you don't live near a Chinatown or an Asian gift store, here's a suggestion. Drop a note to Paul Green. By the way, the pouch or purse is a much better idea for this than an envelope IMHO. Cody Fisher also has a good idea with this effect, using a slightly (pun intended) modified clasp change purse.
"It is better to practice a little than talk a lot." - Muso Kokushi
mystre71
View Profile
Inner circle
martinsburg west virginia
1683 Posts

Profile of mystre71
The same type of purse that Paul used on the DVD is sold at The Magic Warehouse.

Best
Joe
Walk around coin box work check it out here https://www.magicalmystries.com/products
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Looking for Chinese cosmetic purse for Paul Green's 2 Copper Silver routine (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL