The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Felony by Kyle Purnell (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Josh Burch
View Profile
Regular user
103 Posts

Profile of Josh Burch
I'm a huge fan of Kyl Purnell and I'm stoked for this effect:

https://www.penguinmagic.com/p/14876

"Everything Kyle creates is Gold! Felony is very practical and So well thought out, I Love it!" - Nicholas Lawrence

Kyle Purnell doesn’t just create magic, he develops solutions to problems in pursuit of some of the hardest-hitting magic you can do for a layperson. Imagine having the ability to mend a completely unique object borrowed from your spectator and then give it back to them for a thorough examination. That’s Felony by Kyle Purnell.

Here’s what happens:

You borrow a dollar from your spectator. If you want the dollar can even be signed. The dollar is folded in half and then torn down the center. Both hands are shown completely empty by the magician. Then with a gentle rub, the magician visually restores the tear in the center of the bill. The bill can be immediately handed back for examination.

Kyle has developed a very simple gimmick that allows you to get an almost perfect tearing illusion with a borrowed bill. In addition to the basic handling you’ll learn how to do this with a signed bill, and even get some ideas on how you can present this with polymer bills if you live in Europe or Australia. The in-depth construction of the actual gimmick is easy to do, with materials every magician has easy access to. You’ll also learn a handling if you want to perform this effect for larger crowds. This is a torn and restored bill gimmick you’ll carry with you all the time to blow away your audiences. This is Felony by Kyle Purnell.
dooblehorn
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburg, CA
2090 Posts

Profile of dooblehorn
Assuming you need to make multiple gimmicks?
papercrane
View Profile
Regular user
Columbus, OH
152 Posts

Profile of papercrane
No need to make multiple gimmicks! The gimmick should last for dozens of performances before you need to make a new one.
Calvin826
View Profile
Elite user
470 Posts

Profile of Calvin826
I'm thinking that the get ready for this is pretty awkward and unnatural looking, hence the distracting music and violent editing. Looks to me like an unnecessary devolution of the old ripped wallpaper gag.
Jack Straw
View Profile
Special user
Wichita
981 Posts

Profile of Jack Straw
But everything that Kyle creates is gold, Calvin.
Jack Straw from Wichita, cut his buddy down
And dug for him a shallow grave, and laid his body down
Half a mile from Tucson, by the morning light
One man gone and another to go, my old buddy you're moving much too slow
We can share the women, we can share the wine
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
5161 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On Jan 13, 2021, Calvin826 wrote:
I'm thinking that the get ready for this is pretty awkward and unnatural looking, hence the distracting music and violent editing. Looks to me like an unnecessary devolution of the old ripped wallpaper gag.

Agree, not a very good demo. Where's Martin when you need him?? I'm guessing it won't be long and he will show up here and criticize this demo and if not I will be very surprised since this demo is worse than magnet o's.
Josh Burch
View Profile
Regular user
103 Posts

Profile of Josh Burch
Quote:
I'm thinking that the get ready for this is pretty awkward and unnatural looking, hence the distracting music and violent editing.

The get ready is pretty flexible. You just do it in the action of taking the borrowed bill. Kyle teaches one approach but it's open for variation.

You can't have it both ways. Everyone on the Café flipped out about Kyle's last release when we showed the entire uncut performance for camera. They said that the performance was too long. So, it's cut this time to just show the magical moment and we're still not happy. Oh well, you win some you lose some.

Quote:
Looks to me like an unnecessary devolution of the old ripped wallpaper gag.

Lol, the wallpaper gag is just that...a gag! It's not exactly a fooler, or a piece that you would do at any kind of a close-up gig. The wall paper gag by itself, is little more than a silly diversion. There's no comparison to that gag and Felony outside of the method.

The Felony gimmick is much more than the wallpaper gag. Kyle's system aligns the gimmick automatically with any borrowed bill. It simulates the look and sound of the tear perfectly. It also makes for a deceptive, visual, restorations of a borrowed bill.
Josh Burch
View Profile
Regular user
103 Posts

Profile of Josh Burch
Quote:
On Jan 13, 2021, dooblehorn wrote:
Assuming you need to make multiple gimmicks?

Kyle also explains everything so that you can easily make the gimmick for other values and denominations. It will take some arts and crafts but it's not too difficult to make even if you wear one out.
mpilkey
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of mpilkey
Kyle showed me this last year, and even sent me a gimmick to play with. The thinking behind this is incredible. Super practical, and easy to do. I’m just waiting for the mythical winged horse to come on here and give his two cents. Which I’m sure will be negative...
SIRIously Mental available from me directly

Mike@chattanoogamagic.com
rosariorose9
View Profile
Special user
Kreskin guessed that I had
996 Posts

Profile of rosariorose9
Quote:

Reminded me of that as well...along with Michael Ammar's 'take' on that idea.
no2ss
View Profile
Special user
California
755 Posts

Profile of no2ss
Quote:
On Jan 13, 2021, Josh Burch wrote:

You can't have it both ways. Everyone on the Café flipped out about Kyle's last release when we showed the entire uncut performance for camera. They said that the performance was too long. So, it's cut this time to just show the magical moment and we're still not happy. Oh well, you win some you lose some.

I get where you're coming from, but just to be clear: pointing out that people didn't like that one routine, doesn't mean they don't like all trailers with full routines. They just didn't like that particular routine.

Also, Penguin often has done a thing where they post *both* a trailer and a full performance. Seems like doing that in cases like this might be nice. Then you *can* have it both ways!

Either way, this looks interesting, and waiting for some more reviews...
magikyle
View Profile
Regular user
128 Posts

Profile of magikyle
Hi all, Kyle here.
I'm not a huge 'cafe guy' but I hopped on here to see how people were responding to the release...so I'd love clear a few things up!
Firstly, yes, it 100% has roots in the 'wallpaper gag'. In fact there happens to be a huge gash in the wallpaper on the backdrop during the explanation as an homage to that. And then of course it is explicitly credited. We stand on the shoulders of giants, right?
Calvin, I think I understand your concern about the get ready. Without blatantly exposing anything, a big part of the $10 value that you're purchasing is a surefire way to discreetly add the gimmick to a borrowed bill with 100% accuracy (i.e. no fiddling or chance of misalignment).
Please know that magic is the most precious (non-human) thing in the world to me. I think that's important to know, because I know that most people on the Café don't know me. So please allow me to be clear: I only release things to the magic fraternity that I think will push the art further. In this case, here is a way to do a torn and restored bill that is borrowed and signed with no switches, and a satisfyingly reliable loading mechanism built into the simple gimmick. Im not a cash Grab kind of guy...if I have a brain fart, that's great...but it'll never see the light of day until it gets refined and polished until I'm happy that it will represent myself and the community at large well.

This'll probably be the last time I'll pop on here to post. But if you have any more questions please feel free to facebook me. I like making new friends.
mpilkey
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of mpilkey
Quote:
On Jan 13, 2021, magikyle wrote:
Hi all, Kyle here.
I'm not a huge 'cafe guy' but I hopped on here to see how people were responding to the release...so I'd love clear a few things up!
Firstly, yes, it 100% has roots in the 'wallpaper gag'. In fact there happens to be a huge gash in the wallpaper on the backdrop during the explanation as an homage to that. And then of course it is explicitly credited. We stand on the shoulders of giants, right?
Calvin, I think I understand your concern about the get ready. Without blatantly exposing anything, a big part of the $10 value that you're purchasing is a surefire way to discreetly add the gimmick to a borrowed bill with 100% accuracy (i.e. no fiddling or chance of misalignment).
Please know that magic is the most precious (non-human) thing in the world to me. I think that's important to know, because I know that most people on the Café don't know me. So please allow me to be clear: I only release things to the magic fraternity that I think will push the art further. In this case, here is a way to do a torn and restored bill that is borrowed and signed with no switches, and a satisfyingly reliable loading mechanism built into the simple gimmick. Im not a cash Grab kind of guy...if I have a brain fart, that's great...but it'll never see the light of day until it gets refined and polished until I'm happy that it will represent myself and the community at large well.

This'll probably be the last time I'll pop on here to post. But if you have any more questions please feel free to facebook me. I like making new friends.

Well stated Kyle!
SIRIously Mental available from me directly

Mike@chattanoogamagic.com
trickyat86
View Profile
Veteran user
Pittsburgh, PA
374 Posts

Profile of trickyat86
Just finished watching the instructions. When I watched the trailer, I was curious about the applying the gimmick to a borrowed bill. I'm pleased with how quick and easy the gimmick allows it to be applied/removed on the bill.
Mercury52
View Profile
Inner circle
Kevin Reylek
2139 Posts

Profile of Mercury52
Kyle did a virtual lecture for my local magic club a few months back, and this effect was part of the lineup. There’s definitely more to it than just the wallpaper gag. It’s simultaneously simple and clever.

Many of us stop thinking about method too soon - Kyle is one of the guys who keeps pushing further. This is a case of our own knowledge hurting us, because we see one element of the method and think that’s all there is to it. Everything I’ve seen from Kyle since I first met him 3-4 years ago has been well thought-out and this is no exception.
Kevin Reylek
boydy
View Profile
Special user
Ayrshire, Scotland
860 Posts

Profile of boydy
How applicable is this to polymer bills?
magikyle
View Profile
Regular user
128 Posts

Profile of magikyle
Boydy, the method absolutely works with polymer bills Smile the only difference is that you'll have change the premise slightly, since people know that polymer bills are nearly impossible to tear. I cover it in the download 👍
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Felony by Kyle Purnell (5 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL