The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » How to do the Professor's Nightmare (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Jon Allen
View Profile
V.I.P.
England
1701 Posts

Profile of Jon Allen
Sorry I'm late on this one guys.

The false count is not described in my lecture notes but it is in the lecture. I like to offer something to the people who go to the lecture that is not in the notes. A thank you for coming. Smile

The false count is on the video as is the finale. There are actually 3 different versions of the finale, the best of which is where you walk away leaving your helper holding 3 equal lengths of rope. As they move their hands apart, they are now holding 3 different lengths of rope.
Paragon 3D - the most incredible Card to Clear Box you will ever own. Be fooled here: http://youtu.be/GQxRZ1OGkUo
The Silent Treatment - Digital Edition: this iconic routine just got upgraded! Watch - http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=phTDUhX0m9o
Watch the brilliant effect, Rule of Three: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CytuXsCbL0 and order it from www.onlinemagicshop.co.uk
Order the bar-raising DVD set 'Connection' at www.onlinemagicshop.co.uk
kaytracy
View Profile
Inner circle
Central California
1793 Posts

Profile of kaytracy
Wow, I learned mine y e a r s ago in a little kid's boxed magic kit form Marshal Brodein! It was done using a thin sash cord, which was later replaced by me with heavier rope, but then it also had the rice bowls (I later bought bigger bowls too), cups and balls, and a number of the basic classics.
Kay and Tory
www.Bizarremagick.com
mforteath
View Profile
New user
Tasmania, Australia
62 Posts

Profile of mforteath
It is a cheap trick to buy. I think it is excellent, and always confuses an audience if performed correctly. It can be tricky to start with. The mirror is good for practice.
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
There is a video tape called "Full Circle" which brings to life the tired Standard Professor's Nightmare Routine usinh a ring and the Professor's Nightmare Ropes.
Dennis Michael
impossible man
View Profile
Elite user
401 Posts

Profile of impossible man
"The Armchair Magician" is another source for the basics of this trick, and a few good TT standards. I don't remember the authors' names.
Dean Gilbert
Impossible Man
www.impossibleman.net
cheaptrick
View Profile
Loyal user
Wilmington, Delaware
251 Posts

Profile of cheaptrick
There is a good demo of this effect on Penquin's site.

The FALSE COUNT is a mind blower!

http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=60

I've set up a routine that starts with Tarbell's "Many Cut Rope Mystery" (a C&R), then Robinson's "PN Setup" (from Allmagic.com), and ends with the Nightmare.

Smile
"Pick any card. NOT that one!!!"
dlhoyt
View Profile
Regular user
176 Posts

Profile of dlhoyt
Guy Hollingworth's version was presented in the September,1999 issue of Genii.
jahunsmythe
View Profile
New user
Dallas
16 Posts

Profile of jahunsmythe
I found it inThe Complete Idiot's Guide to Magic Tricks by Tom Ogden.

Great explanation of this effect, and great overall book.
delpfin
View Profile
New user
Poland
53 Posts

Profile of delpfin
I learned Professors Nightmare from Tremain's video: "Comercial Close Up Act".
Anybody can say my: Aldo Coloumbini method is different?
And Second question: In Coloumbini method, at end of trick all 3 ropes is one.
What method show Aldo? Method with gimmick like gimmick used in linking Ropes (spiking without explanation secrets is so hard,) Smile or changing ropes and can give one long rope to spectator for controlling?
WarlockDrummer
View Profile
New user
Chicago (Evanston)
21 Posts

Profile of WarlockDrummer
I have to agree with Andy Charlton's early comment. Aldo Colombini's Professor's Math, where you cut the rope into 3 unequal lengths, stretch them even, and then fully restore the rope, is fantastic and the best version that I have seen.

Aldo has included it and a number of other great effects in his lecture notes (the name if which I cannot remember).

Smile
!WD!

"80% of life is showing up."--Woody Allen

"That's how the world will end, not with a bang, but with a whimper."--t. s. elliot
delpfin
View Profile
New user
Poland
53 Posts

Profile of delpfin
WarlockDrummer: Fully restore the rope = I can give the rope to spectators???

delpfin
Martin_H
View Profile
Regular user
Austria
164 Posts

Profile of Martin_H
Daryl also has a very detailed description of the PN Routine on an old Video, "The Magic Castle Lecture." He gives hints on the false count, and at the end of the routine, he ties the equal ropes together very fairly. Then he put the ropes in his hand and one rope "shrinks" - - when he unties the knots, the ropes are unequal again.

A very nice routine!

Martin

Magic greetings from Vienna to all.
life is real magic
Ashkenazi the Pretty Good
View Profile
Veteran user
Northern California
363 Posts

Profile of Ashkenazi the Pretty Good
A colleague recently showed me how he dips the ends of his rope in glue, and they don't frey. Anybody tried this?

Also....

Any favorite brands? Not thick/thin/cored/uncored but rather specific names?

Cheers,
Ashkenazi
------------

We could have been practicing!
phill
View Profile
Veteran user
Connecticut
365 Posts

Profile of phill
I picked up some 5/16" nylon braided rope at the local Home Depot. I removed the "core" and it works pretty well.
3/8" might be better, if you can find it, and may be more easily seen further away.
I also use "magicians rope" for the PN, but find it a little more difficult to cut for the cut and restored type effects.
Dipping the ends in glue is "quick" and does work rather well. I use a white colored craft-type glue.

phill
Scripture, Sculptures & Surprises!
Ashkenazi the Pretty Good
View Profile
Veteran user
Northern California
363 Posts

Profile of Ashkenazi the Pretty Good
Let's try this:

Can folks list their favorite Magician's Rope (or Brand name rope) for two different purposes:

For cutting

For manipulating

I think that it would be more helpful to be as specific as possible - include all the verbiage in the ad for the rope you bought so we can order it, too.

Thanks,
Ashkenazi
------------

We could have been practicing!
magicbyswh
View Profile
Inner circle
North East Tennessee
1497 Posts

Profile of magicbyswh
I dip the ends in hot glue from a glue gun. It dries fairly quick and works great. Just squirt some glue from glue gun on a working surface and dip the ends in it.
Creator of Cereal Brainwave, Creator of the Tossed out Book
Christopher
View Profile
Special user
512 Posts

Profile of Christopher
If you don't have a hot glue gun handy, there is a product called Fabri-Tac by Beacon that works great. It just takes a while longer to dry, but it's handy to keep with you on the road.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18559 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Roger Sylwester's handling in an old Heirophant is the best I have seen... however, the strongest routine is Mongolian Pop Knots...

I did a version marketed by Ken Brooke that started with one long rope and you finish with one long rope.

You hide a gaffe at the finish, but it is dead easy... at Tannen's Jubilee at the finish I threw the rope into the audience.

After the show Sam Schwartz and Del Cartier came backstage and said "You have to answer something to settle a bet." I said, "What?" They said, "How did you switch the rope?"

I said "I didn't do a switch, I just tossed it into the audience and figured the one guy that got it would see the gimmick, but it would FOOL the 900 other people in the audience... liked it fooled you two!!!"

Fun doing stuff like that...

Oh, the Ken Brooke trick was called "The Conway Rope Trick" by Pat Conway.

Smile
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Magic CPA
View Profile
New user
81 Posts

Profile of Magic CPA
Tony Hassini does a pretty good job explaining the Professor's Nightmare in his "My Favorite Rope Magic" video.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18559 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Can anyone with a file of the Hierophant tell me which issue contains Roger Sylwester's handling of the Professor's Nightmare?
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » How to do the Professor's Nightmare (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL