We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Bubble Thought by Adam Elbaum (17 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Adam Elbaum
View Profile
New user
40 Posts

Profile of Adam Elbaum
Hey everyone, just wanted to tell you about my newest creation Bubble Thought.  
Here's the trailer etc.

https://www.vanishingincmagic.com/card-m......thought/

It's my take on Al Koran's Double Thought, but meant for virtual magic; hence the name Bubble thought (because it was created in the bubble of quarantine).  There are 2 versions of the trick taught, but only one performed in the trailer.  The 2nd version is actually my preferred version, in which a card is thought of by both the spectator and the magician, and they are thinking of the same card.  To prove the magician didn't influence the selection, both parties cut their deck somewhere random, and they both cut to the same card as well.  

The download is over an hour long and teaches 2 versions plus 2 methods.  There's tons of interesting and innovative ideas in here that can be applied to other virtual or in-person effects.  I'm very excited about this trick, as I'm very proud of all the thinking that went into it.  Even if you think you know what's going on, I'm confident there's alot more happening than you realize to maximize the impact and make the effect even more deceptive to your audiences.

I'm happy to answer any reasonable questions, so as they say, "Ask me anything." 
gossamer
View Profile
New user
21 Posts

Profile of gossamer
It looks very nice! The method can be backtracked naturally, but we already know that, like you said it's a take on Double Thought. As long as it's not recorded I think this would really play amazingly, and even recorded I'd say it'll slip past a layman. Good one.

One question: How many questions are needed worst case scenario for the f**hing?
Adam Elbaum
View Profile
New user
40 Posts

Profile of Adam Elbaum
Most often I only ask 1 question, but it would only ever be 1 no. There's a lot more going on than you realize most likely, which is why there's not a bunch of questions. Also version 2 (not shown in the trailer, is much stronger and could not be back tracked).
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2787 Posts

Profile of John Long
I am not familiar with "Double Thought"... but this looks AMAZING!

One question, for applicability (not snooping for method), can this be done with just audio? (such as over the phone?)

John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
Adam Elbaum
View Profile
New user
40 Posts

Profile of Adam Elbaum
I'm so glad you appreciate it.

To answer your uestiosn, it's a visual trick so you couldn't do it with audio only. in other words, you pick a card from their deck and they pick one from your deck, then you cut to each others cards. Without the visual element the effect changes,it becomes you think of a card and I think of a card and then we read each others minds and tell each other what we're thinking. And for the record, when they try to read your mind and say "are you thinking of the 2 of clubs" and you say yes, don't be surprised if they're not impressed, hahaha
DonB!
View Profile
Regular user
Minnesota
143 Posts

Profile of DonB!
John Long, no it cannot, at least not for the reason this was released.

Imagine: the spectator says that her card is the 5 of Spades, and over the phone, you say, “Wow, what a coincidence, that’s the one I have too. .

Not effective.
DonB!
Non-stop laughter. Eternal Impact.
Adam Elbaum
View Profile
New user
40 Posts

Profile of Adam Elbaum
Exactly!
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2787 Posts

Profile of John Long
Adam, Don:

I see said the blind man, who took the hammer and saw.

Or in the vernacular: Duuuh! Smile

I just did not give it enough thought. I still like the effect, but at least at the moment, I don't do online magic.

John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
no2ss
View Profile
Special user
California
876 Posts

Profile of no2ss
First off, I've done various versions of Double Thought for years (probably the effect I've done most often), and it fries people. Especially skeptical people. I have a friend who I did it to years ago who *STILL* asks me about how it was possible.

From the video I can see how this is done, but congrats, Adam, because this is some very clever thinking. Will try to pick this up sometime soon to learn the details/nuances and the other version. I will note that I think some of the ideas you seem to use in that first version are similar in concept to a few of the ideas Dani DaOrtiz uses in his Connected series of virtual effects (not saying he teaches similar effects, but he mixes in some similar methods to achieve some miracles). I'm thinking that there may be some cool ideas to pull some of DaOrtiz's thinking in some of those effects and applying them to Bubble Thougth (clever name!) to make it even better... Or, at the very least, mix and match this with Daortiz's effects to have a completely killer virtual show.
dirtyfoucault
View Profile
Regular user
UK
119 Posts

Profile of dirtyfoucault
This looks great! To me, so much more impactful than some of the really elaborate, mathematical/procedural tricks the Zoom-era left us with.

One question: it says on the VI website that this requires cards from 6 decks. Can those cards be used again as normal once this trick has been done or do they require gaffing? Just reluctant to be permanently left with 6 incomplete decks.
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
9318 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Quote:
On Jan 23, 2021, DonB! wrote:
John Long, no it cannot, at least not for the reason this was released.

Imagine: the spectator says that her card is the 5 of Spades, and over the phone, you say, “Wow, what a coincidence, that’s the one I have too. .

Not effective.

This is one of my lockdown favourites.
Illucifer
View Profile
Inner circle
1390 Posts

Profile of Illucifer
This is solid stuff.
It's all in the reflexes.
Adam Elbaum
View Profile
New user
40 Posts

Profile of Adam Elbaum
Dirtyfoucault, You don't actually need 6 decks. We recommend 6 decks for the sake of simplicity in explanation. Technically this could be assembled from 2 decks with a couple duplicates. And to answer your question you can disassemble the deck if you wanted to, but I think you'll prefer to keep it all together so you're always ready to perform it. All the traditional hyperbole of a new release aside, this reactions I have been getting from this trick are really above and beyond anything else I typically get from virtual magic. To quote Noah Levine's blurb in the ad, "Bubble Thought... ends with the thing we’ve all been searching for since March – A reveal on t'heir side of the screen with no contrived procedure"

Illucifer, I'm so glad you appreciate this.
Philippe
View Profile
Special user
689 Posts

Profile of Philippe
Is Double Thought still available anywhere please?
Gregory57
View Profile
Loyal user
244 Posts

Profile of Gregory57
I picked this up yesterday. This is a great effect. All the details in the presentation are covered, including some very nice subtleties. So much better than all the counting and procedural type effects for online that are currently out there
Cliff Gregory Wollin
gossamer
View Profile
New user
21 Posts

Profile of gossamer
Quote:
On Jan 23, 2021, Adam Elbaum wrote:
Most often I only ask 1 question, but it would only ever be 1 no. There's a lot more going on than you realize most likely, which is why there's not a bunch of questions. Also version 2 (not shown in the trailer, is much stronger and could not be back tracked).

To be clear, I didn't mean to suggest that you could get everything from the trailer, or that this isn't worth purchasing. I'm probably going to pick it up in fact. I assumed there were subtleties and variations you would cover in the actual explanation, and I certainly don't know the particulars of your fan. It's good to know there's an even stronger version!
NeilS
View Profile
Inner circle
2615 Posts

Profile of NeilS
I think Adam is to be applauded not only for creating such a brilliant effect for performing online but also putting up unedited film of a full performance. This was really good to see.

Neil
Adam Elbaum
View Profile
New user
40 Posts

Profile of Adam Elbaum
Thanks for the nice comment NeilS , but I really need to give Vanishing Inc the credit here. My experience with them behind the scenes is that they're obsessed with quality and truth in advertising.
no2ss
View Profile
Special user
California
876 Posts

Profile of no2ss
Quote:
On Jan 24, 2021, Philippe wrote:
Is Double Thought still available anywhere please?

If you pick up Penguin's marked deck, in the video instructions for it, taught by Rick Lax, it teaches Double Thought (though, unfortunately, I don't believe he properly credits it). There are other variations out there as well... But that method is obviously quite different than what Adam has done here, which relies on entirely different principles.
PatrickGregoire
View Profile
Inner circle
1745 Posts

Profile of PatrickGregoire
I don't understand - twice, Adam said the second version is better and impossible to backtrack - but it wasn't used as the trailer to sell this product? Peculiar... Adam, do you know why?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Bubble Thought by Adam Elbaum (17 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL