The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » CALCULATED THOUGHTS by Doug Dyment ("A true underground genius" -Ken Weber) (56 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
MurphysNEW
View Profile
Elite user
457 Posts

Profile of MurphysNEW
"Until the publication of this book, has been one of mentalism's best-kept secrets; you are about to dip into the vast creativity of Doug Dyment, a true "underground" genius."
- Ken Weber

"Doug Dyment is one of the deepest thinkers in mentalism and Calculated Thoughts is his Magnum Opus. The depth to which he explores each of his chosen subjects is simply breathtaking. He shines a highly perceptive light into some of the darkest corners of mentalism technique and reveals insights that will remain with the art for decades to come."
- Marc Paul

FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER, Doug Dyment releases his ultra private material (except a few limited items, that are long out of print).

There are more than 40 complete, audience-tested routines detailed in this massive text including Doug's diabolical DAO system that allows you to perform memorized deck magic without needing to remember a single card, as well as his "Perfect Center Tear," which is beloved by many of the biggest names in mentalism.

AVAILABLE AT ALL MURPHY'S MAGIC DEALERS NOW

https://www.murphysmagic.com/Product.aspx?id=69179
MentalPhilo
View Profile
New user
Texas
36 Posts

Profile of MentalPhilo
Just picked this up today, 2-8-2021, hope it’s a good one. Anyone have any thoughts on this yet?
celebrity
View Profile
Inner circle
1965 Posts

Profile of celebrity
I have been privy to a small amount of the ideas that are in this book and can’t wait to add this one to my shelf!

Besides being such a lovely guy, Doug is one of the rare few that I trust completely when it comes to his releases. He always puts quality first and won’t release anything that hasn’t been field tested and carefully polished to perfection!

Those in the UK can order from www.mindfx.co.uk

Best Wishes Michael
As a mentalist you must always ask yourself what if! And throughout your life you should seek to ask and answer this question over and over again, only then will your wildest dreams become a reality!

Visit - www.mindfx.co.uk to learn more!
Mr. Mindbender
View Profile
Inner circle
1566 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mindbender
I have all of the Doug Dyment booklets, and although I'm happy to see it all come together in one book, on a purely selfish level, bummed that it's going to move from the "underground level" to street level! Doug's a brilliant thinker, and even though, as I mentioned, I already have all of his booklets, I'll get this too!
marcpaul
View Profile
Regular user
106 Posts

Profile of marcpaul
It's a great book, beautifully produced and the contents will get you thinking. Doug's work on the magic square and full deck stacks is genius. Personally I have used "The Real Thing" for years. IMO it's one of the best routines a mentalist can do in a corporate show. It has everything, audience participation, a strong effect, but best of all relevance to the audience. Anytime a company wants me to perform a bespoke presentation for them I simply add this to my normal, tried and tested, set and the job is done.
Drtriage
View Profile
Elite user
My garden fence has
463 Posts

Profile of Drtriage
Just ordered it. I have some of his booklets and look forward to a book that combines them all with more!
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
So is this suited more for stage, and / or parlour?
ElliottB
View Profile
Inner circle
3250 Posts

Profile of ElliottB
I promised myself that I would stop buying magic until I complete my massive supplement in progress.

But I just placed my order (on Penguin).

This it the kind of book that must be purchased.

I have never regretted buying any of Doug's material.

Elliott
Mr. Mindbender
View Profile
Inner circle
1566 Posts

Quote:
On Feb 9, 2021, pegasus wrote:

I haven’t seen the book, but if it’s a compilation of all of Doug’s previously released booklets, then there’s material for all performance situations. If you’re not familiar with the variety of Doug’s work, then you can check it out at his site https://www.deceptionary.com/
MentalPhilo
View Profile
New user
Texas
36 Posts

Profile of MentalPhilo
Quote:
On Feb 9, 2021, Mr. Mindbender wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 9, 2021, pegasus wrote:

I haven’t seen the book, but if it’s a compilation of all of Doug’s previously released booklets, then there’s material for all performance situations. If you’re not familiar with the variety of Doug’s work, then you can check it out at his site https://www.deceptionary.com/

Thank you so much for sharing! There’s a supplement area (password protected) for the book. Can’t wait to receive my order!
ipe
View Profile
Special user
513 Posts

Profile of ipe
I'm very very interested in this product. I think I'm going to buy it. Is possible to have the table of contents and a brief description of the effects/principles/moves?
What would a real mindreader do?
ElliottB
View Profile
Inner circle
3250 Posts

Profile of ElliottB
Here is what I found online:

Contents
Foreword (Ken Weber)

Magic Squares

What Is It About Magic Squares, Anyway?
Flash Squared
Foundation Square
Square School
The Natal Square
Fair & Square
Full Deck Stacks

On the Ordering of Playing Card Suits
Hiding a Sequence in Plain Sight
The DAO Stack
The 4D Stack
QuickStack 3.0
SnapStack
The Q Stack
The Zenith Stack
The Chroma Stack
The ChroMem Stack
Card Capers

Menologue
PokerFace
PokerPlay
An Immoderate Deception
Major Arcanum
Couplet
Bob’s Your Uncle
ESPerimental
Quarto

Introduction
Evolution
Execution
Consummation
Contribution
Codicil: Six Billet Layouts
Zenermancy

Introduction
Symbols: Introduction
Symbols: Interpretation
The Circle
The Cross
The Wavy Lines
The Square
The Star
Transitions: Introduction
Transitions: Interpretation
A Reader Prepares 236
Reading Dynamics
An Abecedarian Adjunct
Coloured Symbols
Wordplay

Sign Language
Verbiage
Mystery Melange

Penney's From Heaven
Spoiled for Choice
FourSight
The Real Thing
The Vision
For the Toolkit

BikeMarks 2.0
Tick Tock Too
How to Construct a Forcing Matrix
Premise NV
Marker Cribs
Musings

On Performance
On Overthinking
On the Use of Props in Mentalism
On Extrasensory Perception
On Psychic Guilt
On Predicting the Future
On Learning Cold Reading
On The Validity of Readings
On Being a Perpetual Student
Borrowed Business

Other Minds, Other Thoughts
ABCDEFG
The BBB Peek
Design Duplicity
Psi Coin
C.C. Seer
Figmental
Bloodied
Afterword (Richard Webster)
Escamoteur
View Profile
Regular user
109 Posts

Profile of Escamoteur
Hello,

There's no detailed descriptions, but the table of contents is shown in this listing. I hope that this is helpful.

https://www.vanishingincmagic.com/mental......houghts/

Regards
Mr. Woolery
View Profile
Inner circle
Fairbanks, AK
2149 Posts

Profile of Mr. Woolery
Check Deceptionary for a bit more description and discussion about contents of his booklets, which appear to make up the majority of this book.

I ordered within minutes of getting an email from VI about it.

Patrick
ddyment
View Profile
Inner circle
Gibsons, BC, Canada
2501 Posts

Profile of ddyment
For the record, approximately two-thirds of Calculated Thoughts is comprised of (almost) every item from my eight previously-published books, updated and expanded for this new publication. The remaining third consists of previously unpublished material.

And yes, descriptions of many (far from all) of the previously-published pieces can be found within the pages of The Deceptionary, along with a plethora of reviews for each book, which should give those new to my work an indication of what's in store.
The Deceptionary :: Elegant, Literate, Contemporary Mentalism ... and More :: (order "Calculated Thoughts" from Vanishing Inc.)
Mr. Mindbender
View Profile
Inner circle
1566 Posts

THAT is some table of contents!!! This volume of high quality mentalism will surely put Calculated Thoughts in the class of classic books like Unreal by Bruce Bernstein and Richardson’s Theater of the Mind.

Congratulations Doug, what a true contribution to the art!
RedDevil
View Profile
Inner circle
Deep South
1315 Posts

Profile of RedDevil
This will be in my collection. Looking forward to it.
www.reddevilmentalism.com
F-F-U-L-Ri-F-F-Li-R-U-F-F
ddyment
View Profile
Inner circle
Gibsons, BC, Canada
2501 Posts

Profile of ddyment
The Table of Contents posted by Elliott is spaced in a somewhat peculiar fashion.

For those interested, a more easily parsed version can be viewed here.
The Deceptionary :: Elegant, Literate, Contemporary Mentalism ... and More :: (order "Calculated Thoughts" from Vanishing Inc.)
Willie mcgregor
View Profile
New user
80 Posts

Profile of Willie mcgregor
Just ordered mine from VI I said no more magic this month.
ElliottB
View Profile
Inner circle
3250 Posts

Profile of ElliottB
Quote:
On Feb 9, 2021, ddyment wrote:
The Table of Contents posted by Elliott is spaced in a somewhat peculiar fashion.

For those interested, a more easily parsed version can be viewed here.

Oops. Just copy/pasted without looking it over.
Thank you for pricing this book so reasonably.
A lot of books these days are way out of my price range.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » CALCULATED THOUGHTS by Doug Dyment ("A true underground genius" -Ken Weber) (56 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL