The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Coincidence or Conspiracy Theory? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16236 Posts

Profile of tommy
If the entertainment side of our magic is colourful and the facts of the experiment are black-and-white, then is this a coincidence or a conspiracy theory?

If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16236 Posts

Profile of tommy
I guess we better define our terms:

Colourful is easy to define, as Percy Garris said: "I'm not crazy; I'm just colourful." "That's what happens when you live 10 years alone in Bolivia: you get colourful."

The colourful is that which the audience does not rationally question.

A black-and-white subject or situation is one in which it is easy to understand what is right and wrong. i.e., "But are we all quite sure that the cards on the table are the four Queens? Please examine them. They are the four Queens? Kindly place them on the deck."

The black-and-white is that which the audience rationally questions.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16236 Posts

Profile of tommy
Colourful speaks to the heart of course, not the head, which is obviously why when colourful is mouthed to someone it looks as though the person mouthing it is saying "I love you."

Tommy
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3526 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
Nurse! The patient is out of bed again...
Dan Ford
View Profile
Special user
Illinois
524 Posts

Profile of Dan Ford
Quote:
On Feb 9, 2021, Pop Haydn wrote:
Nurse! The patient is out of bed again...

Hilarous!!!!!!
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16236 Posts

Profile of tommy
One can tell if a magician is unbalanced or not by the speed of his act. In our magic, speed in presentation is a most important point, medically speaking.

If your act is too colourful or too black-and-white, then you need to see the witch doctor; the ratio will be 50/50 if you are well balanced. The benefits of hemispheric synchronization are profound.

Tommy
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16236 Posts

Profile of tommy
Now there is a dilemma.

Smile

Tommy
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16236 Posts

Profile of tommy

Tommy
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27140 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
@tommy, whose art?

Here's a little (minus the intentional component) something for our "what is magic?" quest:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_transfer_illusion
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3526 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
Quote:
On Feb 10, 2021, tommy wrote:

"Intuitive" is misspelled.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16236 Posts

Profile of tommy
That sounds strange John but I was watching this Doc the other day and I think they own everybody.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p0......lisation

I did it in Photoshop.

Pop, thank you for the spell-check.

Intuitive means having the ability to understand or know something without any direct evidence or reasoning process, which is how the audience it's our magic.

Tommy
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16236 Posts

Profile of tommy
Https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P627tIEahso

Jon, I think they should test the right and the left hand to see if there is any difference.

Tommy
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16236 Posts

Profile of tommy
It seems to me, everything is fictional apart from the facts in effect of the experiment: the magician, the story he is trying to put across, the assertion, etcetera, are intuitively known to be fiction. The fiction tells the audience it is our magic, as opposed to charlatan magic. The fiction is or ought to be so incredible that it cannot be taken seriously vice versa the magic.

That is funny because it would mean, I think, that there is no intuition in charlatanry, apart from the charlatan perhaps proving it exists or something.

Mind you, thinking about it, I guess some charlatans are colourful.

Tommy
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27140 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
You made the illustrations - kudos Smile Smile

Fun with body/identity can take a different turn when using somewhat less "identical" hands -> a paw, perhaps a tentacle...

so - narrative?
Context: We discuss magic with presumed common human experience including {sense of self, subjective continuity, persistent objects, singular identity, persistent sensory experience... pranks, jokes, theater,... stereotypical character/archetypes... childhood stories of this culture... }
...to all the coins I've dropped here
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16236 Posts

Profile of tommy
Https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8j_p2VCiIz0

One can look at the two sides of our magic as the unknown and the known.

How do we encounter the unknown?

The audience encounters the unknown by using their imagination, which is evoked by the incredible assertions the magician makes.

How do we encounter the known?

The audience encounters the known by using their rational faculties, informed by the facts of the experiment.

Art evokes, science informs.

Coming up with a magic plot is an art, it requires imagination, one has to wonder, whereas coming up with a magic experiment is a science, which requires knowledge.

One way of coming up with a magic plot is to take some real or plausible phenomena and exaggerate its effect. In so doing, one is creating an illusion, a sort of mental illusion: an illusion is not a complete lie but is a distortion of the truth.

Creating a magic experiment requires knowledge, the study of technique, method, the acquiring of skill, etcetera.

You are all alone in a dark room and you hear a noise in the room! What is that? You politely wonder. You turn on the light and nothing is there that could have made the noise. Was it a ghost? Is it magic? Well, no! Still the unknown, it makes you wonder.

Tommy
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Coincidence or Conspiracy Theory? (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL