The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » We need to help Wikipedia (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

mightytimbo
View Profile
New user
45 Posts

Profile of mightytimbo
I just came across Tannen's Magic Shop Wikipedia Page. It currently consists of one sentence. That's really pretty tragic.

I love the place, but to be honest I'm not nearly as qualified as some of the guys here to speak to it's history.

I thought I'd drop you guys a line and see if anyone would be interested in writing up the BIO for the place. People should know the history there. If someone really did that story justice that Wikipedia page could be miles long.

Anyway, thought I'd throw it out there.
Forza Azzurri
View Profile
New user
40 Posts

Profile of Forza Azzurri
As a VERY experienced Wikipedian I have to point out that Wikipedia articles on businesses can be really problematic. The major area is in conflict of interest (COI): the people wanting to develop the Wikipedia article may be principals in the business. There's nothing super bad about that, but such COI situations can definitely raise the hackles of the Wikipedia editing community. Don't let that stop anyone from engaging in developing this article since there are lots of wonderful businesses with historic importance that have articles on them that really should be developed. Two of my favorites would be the CHANGE OF HOBBIT and THE OTHER CHANGE OF HOBBIT Wikipedia articles (they're historic science fiction and fantasy bookstores, the former being defunct). Posting here is a good approach to try and solicit people who love the store but aren't affiliated with it, to engage in editing. Second, post in the TALK section of the article stating any affiliation (be transparent) and make a similar request. DO NOT attempt to use Wikipedia as an advertising platform for a business. I guarantee you will feel the wrath of the Wikipedia community.

Final note: some Wikipedia editors set up editing events to cover specific issues. I could see (but won't do this! Too much work!) a "Magic on Wikipedia" editing event where a groups of people get together for a weekend with the sole purpose of creating and improving relevant articles. This does require guidance from experienced Wikipedia editors (and again, I AM NOT VOLUNTEERING ... yet).
Forza Azzurri
View Profile
New user
40 Posts

Profile of Forza Azzurri
There's actually a Wikipedia category specific to "Magic shops"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Magic_shops

Pretty sparse category with only four entries:

Fantasma Magic
Magic store (a super brief article ABOUT Magic stores)
Martinka
Tannen's Magic Shop
mightytimbo
View Profile
New user
45 Posts

Profile of mightytimbo
I don't know if this was a reference to what I said, but I don't work there or anything. I just love the place (as I know many of the members here do) and thought it was a tragedy that their Wikipedia page was pretty much blank.

Quote:
On Mar 17, 2021, Forza Azzurri wrote:
As a VERY experienced Wikipedian I have to point out that Wikipedia articles on businesses can be really problematic. The major area is in conflict of interest (COI): the people wanting to develop the Wikipedia article may be principals in the business. There's nothing super bad about that, but such COI situations can definitely raise the hackles of the Wikipedia editing community. Don't let that stop anyone from engaging in developing this article since there are lots of wonderful businesses with historic importance that have articles on them that really should be developed. Two of my favorites would be the CHANGE OF HOBBIT and THE OTHER CHANGE OF HOBBIT Wikipedia articles (they're historic science fiction and fantasy bookstores, the former being defunct). Posting here is a good approach to try and solicit people who love the store but aren't affiliated with it, to engage in editing. Second, post in the TALK section of the article stating any affiliation (be transparent) and make a similar request. DO NOT attempt to use Wikipedia as an advertising platform for a business. I guarantee you will feel the wrath of the Wikipedia community.

Final note: some Wikipedia editors set up editing events to cover specific issues. I could see (but won't do this! Too much work!) a "Magic on Wikipedia" editing event where a groups of people get together for a weekend with the sole purpose of creating and improving relevant articles. This does require guidance from experienced Wikipedia editors (and again, I AM NOT VOLUNTEERING ... yet).
Forza Azzurri
View Profile
New user
40 Posts

Profile of Forza Azzurri
Go for it! Wikipedia encourages someone like you to just dive in. Be fearless and edit away! If you're shy, put your edits in the article's TALK tab. I'll monitor things and am positively predisposed to improve the article. I have a soft spot for people who love certain businesses and shops (like I indicated with CHANGE OF HOBBIT). If you'd rather, feel free to enter some text as a reply or comment herein. I am also a librarian and can edit with a certain level of skill so don't worry about perfection. If you can post any cites to magazine or newspaper articles, those are the kind of things that Wikipedia likes. I am going to come out of the closet and engage with this article. You've got me curious. And you're right, the current Wikipedia article is pretty lame. You've guilted me to engage (that's not a bad thing).

So, here. Just say "What do you think of adding this?" and type what sounds useful. I'll put it in the article under my name. You can also edit and add things to Wikipedia anonymously. That's actually not frowned upon.

Darnit, mightytimbo! You're going to drag me into Wikipedia after a lengthy hiatus.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » We need to help Wikipedia (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL