We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Grandfathers top Adam Wilbur (41 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
NicholasD25
View Profile
New user
98 Posts

Profile of NicholasD25
While I really like the idea of this, all of these types of tricks have same general flaw. The object looks like it's dangling, not floating. It might look good if it spun in one hand, quickly floated over to the other, then vanished. No floating and moving around the body, which pretty much gives away the method.
The great Gumbini
View Profile
Inner circle
2418 Posts

Profile of The great Gumbini
Ben I cannot wait as well. I do agree that if this is used in the same manner as the UFO card it will not go over so well the way I'm going to do this effect I will say as a child I love magic but my grandfather gave me this top to try to take my mind off of magic and whenever he saw me fiddling around with magic he would take the top away and I would have to go find it in the Box where he hid it I will simply spin the top allow it to float land it vanishes and then grab the box open it back up and say sorry Grandpa and take the box show it to the audience and close it up. I think this should be a short and sweet routine not anyting prolonged let them really wonder how the top floated for just a moment and then completely vanished that's my opinion.

Good magic to all,

Eric
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
4182 Posts

Profile of emyers99
My first impression of this is a good one. The props seem good quality and Adam’s teaching is clear and detailed. My first IT effect was the floating rose some 25 yrs ago. I still remember my mom yelling, “pick up the phone. Some guy named Kevin James wants to talk to you about a floating flower.” Since then, I’ve bought 20ish floating effects and a grand total of zero of them made it to my act. Many never even made it out of the box. This one is different enough that I might actually work with it. I really like the grandfather story line with the great reappearance at the end. A nice full circle premise and the top finally gives justification for having to spin the object. The hook up and moves are all standard. The wave vanish looks very nice but leaves you dirty and angle sensitive. (Plus you’ll probably need to buy something to make it work). Adam teaches a second vanish that eliminates those issues, and I actually like it better. The box is simple in design and well made. Not examinable. You can switch the bottle caps for other bottle caps easily if you’d like. U get enough basic IT materials to perform about 12-15 times. Each set up is good for one performance only but Adam walks though how to make and transport 10-15 setups for quick reset.

Overall, I think this is a solid release. You know what you are getting so if you like what you see in the trailer, you will like this.
dooblehorn
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburg, CA
2267 Posts

Profile of dooblehorn
Quote:
On Mar 8, 2021, The great Gumbini wrote:
Ben I cannot wait as well. I do agree that if this is used in the same manner as the UFO card it will not go over so well the way I'm going to do this effect I will say as a child I love magic but my grandfather gave me this top to try to take my mind off of magic and whenever he saw me fiddling around with magic he would take the top away and I would have to go find it in the Box where he hid it I will simply spin the top allow it to float land it vanishes and then grab the box open it back up and say sorry Grandpa and take the box show it to the audience and close it up. I think this should be a short and sweet routine not anyting prolonged let them really wonder how the top floated for just a moment and then completely vanished that's my opinion.

Good magic to all,

Eric

Yep, my plan exactly! Short and sweet!
dooblehorn
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburg, CA
2267 Posts

Profile of dooblehorn
Quote:
On Mar 8, 2021, emyers99 wrote:
My first impression of this is a good one. The props seem good quality and Adam’s teaching is clear and detailed. My first IT effect was the floating rose some 25 yrs ago. I still remember my mom yelling, “pick up the phone. Some guy named Kevin James wants to talk to you about a floating flower.” Since then, I’ve bought 20ish floating effects and a grand total of zero of them made it to my act. Many never even made it out of the box. This one is different enough that I might actually work with it. I really like the grandfather story line with the great reappearance at the end. A nice full circle premise and the top finally gives justification for having to spin the object. The hook up and moves are all standard. The wave vanish looks very nice but leaves you dirty and angle sensitive. (Plus you’ll probably need to buy something to make it work). Adam teaches a second vanish that eliminates those issues, and I actually like it better. The box is simple in design and well made. Not examinable. You can switch the bottle caps for other bottle caps easily if you’d like. U get enough basic IT materials to perform about 12-15 times. Each set up is good for one performance only but Adam walks though how to make and transport 10-15 setups for quick reset.

Overall, I think this is a solid release. You know what you are getting so if you like what you see in the trailer, you will like this.

Thanks emyers99, this is very helpful. Sorry to see the hookups not reusable, but kind of makes sense now.
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
4182 Posts

Profile of emyers99
I should clarify. If you don’t want to do a vanish, the setup is reusable.
Ben Harris
View Profile
V.I.P.
The Land Down Under
2117 Posts

Profile of Ben Harris
Adam's important contribution here is that he has validated the need for spin. A "spinning top" makes sense. Spinning cards, silver blocks and finger-rings, do not.
+Inventor of the world famous Floating Match+
+Author: Machinations (Vanishing Inc, 2020)+
EVERYTHING BEN HARRIS
Dutchie
View Profile
New user
100 Posts

Profile of Dutchie
Quote:
On Mar 8, 2021, NicholasD25 wrote:
While I really like the idea of this, all of these types of tricks have same general flaw. The object looks like it's dangling, not floating. It might look good if it spun in one hand, quickly floated over to the other, then vanished. No floating and moving around the body, which pretty much gives away the method.

Couldn't agree more.

If magicians really believe that spectators will watch this and not think "oh that thread is clever, I really cannot see it" they are deluded.
goldeneye007
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1964 Posts

Profile of goldeneye007
Thank you all for your input - that sounds like an interesting one!
Ben
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
4182 Posts

Profile of emyers99
Adam agrees that less is more. He doesn’t normally do the around the body moves but does teach it so people know how to do it. His routine is more short floats and a hand to hand float before ultimately doing the vanish. He also stresses slow smooth movements so as not to telegraph the IT.
The great Gumbini
View Profile
Inner circle
2418 Posts

Eric I absolutely agree with Adam's assessment of this effect. And to me the beautiful part of this is you basically have a two-for-one deal here because just as they're trying to figure out the floating of the top it's vanished and then reappears in the beautiful box. I can see this in my mind and I have to admit it plays very well there. Now of course the fun part waiting on it to arrive and then working with it to make sure it appears very smooth. I just really like this whole idea.

Good magic to all,

Eric
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
3962 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Quote:
On Mar 8, 2021, The great Gumbini wrote:

Good magic to all,

Eric

Sounds like a real good routine. I hope your audience enjoys it. I haven't come up with a routine yet, my plan is to see what he does with it and hopefully come up with some inspiration from his work and what others are reporting here on the Café. Thanks for sharing your ideas.
KJ
magikmax
View Profile
New user
Scotland
82 Posts

Profile of magikmax
I’m intrigued by this due to the story. Can anyone provide a hint as to what other item you need to have for the final vanish? Also, having avoided tricks using this method for many years, what consideration must the performer pay to lighting conditions?
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
5521 Posts

Profile of RNK
As to the lighting conditions I believe it's like any other effect that uses this method, light shining overhead and or behind you would not be good. Also, like any other floating trick, any area that is well lit can potentially be a problem.
Harry Patter
View Profile
Elite user
411 Posts

Profile of Harry Patter
I have found most lighting conditions to be fine, but be honest with yourself when you get to the venue. If you can see, they can!

PropDog review is out:
The great Gumbini
View Profile
Inner circle
2418 Posts

Great review definitely appreciated and I am looking forward to this. The thing I like is I do not do this kind of effect because I was never really good with this kind of gimmick however being that the levitation is only for a short while I will definitely put the time and practice into this even though the moment will only last for a moment.

Good magic to all,

Eric
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
3962 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Excellent review by Propdog. Anyone can have an opinion, but I really like when a reviewer adds value for the viewer. This review was really good.

I hear a lot of people, including the Propdog reviewer talking about how much they dislike IT work. I used to feel that way until several years ago, when one of my daughters had to spend a lot of time at a hospital and we spent a lot of time sitting, waiting to see this person or that person. We had to do something to pass the time. So, there were a couple things that we did a lot of. One was a simple thing where I had an elastic IT on a reel where I would stick the other end to a table. I would pretend like I was trying to make something like a ball of paper levitate and it didn't seem to work. Out of the corner of my eye, I would wait until someone started looking and then I would make it work just enough for them to notice. As soon as they told a friend, and the friend started looking, it would no longer work. Then, when only they were looking, it would work again. This would go on until frequently, they would approach us. At that point, I would say that strange "abilities" ran in my family, but it really skips a generation, so it is my daughter who has the skills. I would then have them put their hand behind their back and hold out a number of fingers and she could "see" it. It was a wonderful way to pass the time in a hospital, and I quickly grew very comfortable with IT.

KJ
dooblehorn
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburg, CA
2267 Posts

Profile of dooblehorn
Quote:
On Mar 10, 2021, 1KJ wrote:
Excellent review by Propdog. Anyone can have an opinion, but I really like when a reviewer adds value for the viewer. This review was really good.

I hear a lot of people, including the Propdog reviewer talking about how much they dislike IT work. I used to feel that way until several years ago, when one of my daughters had to spend a lot of time at a hospital and we spent a lot of time sitting, waiting to see this person or that person. We had to do something to pass the time. So, there were a couple things that we did a lot of. One was a simple thing where I had an elastic IT on a reel where I would stick the other end to a table. I would pretend like I was trying to make something like a ball of paper levitate and it didn't seem to work. Out of the corner of my eye, I would wait until someone started looking and then I would make it work just enough for them to notice. As soon as they told a friend, and the friend started looking, it would no longer work. Then, when only they were looking, it would work again. This would go on until frequently, they would approach us. At that point, I would say that strange "abilities" ran in my family, but it really skips a generation, so it is my daughter who has the skills. I would then have them put their hand behind their back and hold out a number of fingers and she could "see" it. It was a wonderful way to pass the time in a hospital, and I quickly grew very comfortable with IT.

KJ

great story !KJ...and yes, a good Propdog review, they are pretty honest if they don't like an effect.
danHumphrey
View Profile
Regular user
179 Posts

Profile of danHumphrey
Quote:
On Mar 11, 2021, 1KJ wrote:

KJ

Very good, that made me smile!!
The great Gumbini
View Profile
Inner circle
2418 Posts

That made me smile also. and I hope your daughter is doing very well. And I would like to add the way you very astutely noticed when the onlookers started to notice what was going on is a very good Testament to how much magicians should always be aware of our surroundings without making it obvious so many times a true magical moment happens when people think you don't even know they're looking. Thank you for sharing that with us and again all the best to your daughter and your family.

Good magic to all,

Eric
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Grandfathers top Adam Wilbur (41 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL