The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Chess Board effect.... or similar... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

kuffs
View Profile
Special user
791 Posts

Profile of kuffs
Hi to everyone. I am in search for anythings good to know about chess board effects....

Anythings from prediction to divination..let see...PM please...

I will trade or buy things if you have somethings worth...I already have some of the effect around but maybe....

Thanks in advance,

Take care,

kuffs
ddyment
View Profile
Inner circle
Gibsons, BC, Canada
2394 Posts

Profile of ddyment
One of the classic chessboard effects is the Knight's Tour demonstration. This falls into much the same category as magic squares (i.e., a demonstration of the entertainer's mental prowess), though without the opportunity for personalization.

You can do this either with a crib sheet, or learn to really do it at http://members.aol.com/beagenius/knighttour1.html.

... Doug
"Calculated Thoughts" is available at Vanishing Inc. and The Deceptionary :: Elegant, Literate, Contemporary Mentalism ... and More
Banachek
View Profile
V.I.P.
Houston
1079 Posts

Profile of Banachek
Knights tour as have been suggested. Same can be done with a checkers board with the way the king jumps. See Zufeld Memory stunts.

Also there is the idea in Corinda or Anneman where you play numerous people at one time going from board to board.

There is playing a game of chess blindfolded or while in a seperate room.

That's all for now, I know I have read of some others that use only one or two of the chess pieces, not sure where
In thoughts and Friendship
Banachek
Campus Performer of the Year two years in a row
Year 2000 Campus Novelty Act
PEA Creativity Award Recipient
http://www.banachek.com
Hal Weaver
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of Hal Weaver
Quote:
On 2002-07-26 21:05, Banachek wrote:
...Also there is the idea in Corinda or Anneman where you play numerous people at one time going from board to board.

Friends,

That is in Corinda. It doesn't sound as if it is a performance piece. In fact, I would be afraid to perform it with a group who knew much about chess. I think, as Corinda suggests, the ruse would likely be discovered.

Hal
MichelAsselin
View Profile
Veteran user
20th century, 3rd dimension
326 Posts

Profile of MichelAsselin
I have this idea which I have worked on and off. It is based on an idea from The Scroll of Maskelyn Ye Mage.

Spectator selects a color (B vs W), then a chess piece, then a position on the board. All the while a box was seen on the table. The box is opened, it is the chess piece of the appropriate color. It is picked up, engraved underneath are the coordinates to the position.

Many ways to get there.
" , ? ; !!! "
- Marcel Marceau, Feb 30, 1945.
christopher carter
View Profile
Special user
660 Posts

Profile of christopher carter
Very nice plot, Michel.
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2678 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
Quote:
On 2002-07-26 20:48, ddyment wrote:
One of the classic chessboard effects is the Knight's Tour demonstration. This falls into much the same category as magic squares (i.e., a demonstration of the entertainer's mental prowess), though without the opportunity for personalization.

You can do this either with a crib sheet, or learn to really do it at http://members.aol.com/beagenius/knighttour1.html.

... Doug

Thanks for the plug for my website, Doug!

You might be interested to know that I recently updated that section so you can practice the Knight's Tour right on the website - including the version in which you're given the starting AND ending points.
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4609 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
It's a wonderful site, and very fun to play with.

Within minutes, I was able to do the Knight's Tour on Level 1, thanks to Scott's clear instructions.

Now I'm working on Levels 2 and 3... and of course, to get to the point where I can do it blindfolded!

The other feats on the site are a lot of fun too!
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2678 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
Quote:
On 2002-07-26 20:48, ddyment wrote:

Actually, Koltanowski (a blindfolded chess wizard) performed a VERY personal version of the Knight's Tour. On a large diagram of a chess board, he would ask for names of people present, and place one name on each square. Koltanowski would then call out people's names in an order to effect a full knight's tour! This is discussed in more detail under "MNEMONICS" in the Encyclopedia of Impromptu Magic, by Martin Gardner.

The section under "CHESS" might be of some interest, as well. There's no more details on Knight's Tours, but there's a great routine that lets you determine the color of any pawn handed to you, even if you're blindfolded or have them handed to you behind your back! It's better suited to right after a chess game, though.

Just some additional chess-themed ideas for you!
Ian Rowland
View Profile
Special user
London
876 Posts

Profile of Ian Rowland
If you're interested in performing the Knight's Tour, then you may want to go and see Ricky Jay's stunning show, "Ricky Jay On The Stem" currently playing in New York. The Knight's Tour is one feature of an incredible 'Master Mind' routine he performs in the second half of the show.

Personally, I think everyone should beg, steal or borrow a ticket to see the show anyway, because in my view it's one of the greatest theatrical magic shows you could ever see. It is wonderful, simply wonderful, and altogether a larger, fuller, richer showcase for Jay's talents than the "52 Assistants" show.

I flew 3500 miles to see it, and consider this time and money well spent. I learned so much in just 2 hours watching the show that could have otherwise taken me a lifetime to learn.
www.ianrowland.com . Working Magic.
dada
View Profile
New user
telaviv
4 Posts

Profile of dada
3500 miles just to see the show?
Wow, can you tell us what you learned?
Hal Weaver
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of Hal Weaver
Quote:
On 2002-08-03 05:27, Ian Rowland wrote:
If you're interested in performing the Knight's Tour, then you may want to go and see Ricky Jay's stunning show...

Ian,

Does Ricky do a standard reentry version with each square numbered 1-64? Is it his presentation that impressed you?

One thing that made Peter Raveen's presentation impressive was his commanding voice. The mechanics were ordinary.

Hal
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Chess Board effect.... or similar... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL