The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Vanish in the Air by Alex Soler (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
4860 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
I found a online video with: Vanish in the Air. I think it looks very good. But how practical is it in real life? See video here: http://www.newmagicsecrets.com/
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26976 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
I'm missing it, please PM with a URL to the clip. Isn't that his last name which should be hyphenated?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
broothal
View Profile
Elite user
Europe
449 Posts

Profile of broothal
MrCyNic
View Profile
Loyal user
England
238 Posts

Profile of MrCyNic
Okay, the thing's only $7, so I downloaded it out of curiosity.

It's not exactly an earthshaking new concept in magic (nor is it intended to be). However, it's visually striking, it's not difficult and, under the right circumstances, I could see this being rather effective.

Cheers,

Cy.
Mehtas
View Profile
Inner circle
England, UK
1650 Posts

Profile of Mehtas
Kjellstrom ,

I am not too sure about perfomance in real world as he drops his hands down below the screen for a clean up or something while in real world you don't have that sort of screen.

its a real miracle if you could vanish things like that without dropping your hands down after the vanish.
MrCyNic
View Profile
Loyal user
England
238 Posts

Profile of MrCyNic
Quote:
On 2004-06-15 14:38, Mehtas wrote:
Kjellstrom ,

I am not too sure about perfomance in real world as he drops his hands down below the screen for a clean up or something while in real world you don't have that sort of screen.

its a real miracle if you could vanish things like that without dropping your hands down after the vanish.

That was my first thought, too. Actually, it turns out that the hand drop is purely incidental. It is not a functional necessity of the move, and no clean-up is required.

Cheers,

Cy.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26976 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Odd videos...

The rigid hand positioning diminishes the effect of the coin vanishes.

When a hand is empty, it moves and moves as if it had released something.

The videos come across as clever hiding. Will show to a couple of laymen and ask their impressions.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
MrCyNic
View Profile
Loyal user
England
238 Posts

Profile of MrCyNic
The performer's stated intention in the ebook is to give the impression that the coin has been thrown toward the spectator. Having now tried it out, I can certainly confirm that my spectator's reaction was a strong, reflexive attempt to "catch the coin as it flew at me" (her words). The vanish played well and, as mentioned before, there's no clean-up required.

The thinking behind the move seems pretty solid to me, and the concerns I've read here so far, while understandable given the rather cramped video frame the clip provides, are not unavoidable consequences of the method.

My only concern is deciding under what circumstances it would be appropriate in any of my routines to apparently hurl a coin at a spectator. That'd call for a pretty specific dramatic motivation...

Basically though, for £3.93, it's not a bad buy.

Cheers,

Cy.
BradleyNott
View Profile
Veteran user
Westwood, CA (UCLA)
351 Posts

Profile of BradleyNott
In miser's dream people often grab into the air when producing a coin, you could offer to toss the coin to a spectator and have it vanish before they can catch it.

I like the videos too, don't think I'll buy the instructions as I don't see a practical use for this move for my own uses as of now...but maybe in the future.
If you were a hotdog, and you were starving...would you eat yourself? I know I would!
leefoley3
View Profile
Elite user
Texas
402 Posts

Profile of leefoley3
Is this move anything similar to Kam's one handed coin vanish on POS 1? I like the way Curtis uses this move. Instead of giving the impression that he's tossing a coin to someone, it's the impression that he's just flipping a coin in the air (like doing a coin toss). It's a "knacky" kind of thing.
In December of '06 I was diagnosed with a very rare cancer, Dermatofibrosarcoma Protuberans. One in a million people worldwide are diagnosed with this type of cancer annually. Sarcomas account for 1% of all cancers. Knowledge is power!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Vanish in the Air by Alex Soler (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL