The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Great Performances (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Why haven't I been made aware of this man, Jay Black, before now?! I may have heard the song before but I don't recall. Quite excellent.

Please share more great performances here! Smile
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Jay was part of a band called Jay and the Americans, out of Queens, NY who were quite popular on Top 40 radio in the early 60s. Cara Mia was a big hit for them. I remember seeing them as a kid at the Paramount on a bill that included The Four Seasons, Lou Christie, and James Brown.

I'll go with this: Sammy Davis Jr. singing What Kind of Fool Am I? I think as a male vocalist of that genre arguably a better singer than Sinatra or Tony Bennett, though I think kind of forgotten these days

and one more absolutely perfect male vocal, Bobby Hatfield of the Righteous Brothers, Unchained Melody:

arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1777 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Sammy Davis Jr: Great singer, and an even better performer/entertainer. They don't make 'em like that anymore!
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Excellent singer and performer, indeed. I definitely appreciate Sammy Davis, Jr. And while I understand the sentiment, I think "they" do still make 'em like that. Celebrating those like that seems to be an issue, though.

Here's one of my faves from someone other than Mr. Presley. Smile :

I may add the classic version I use to play and rewind and repeat on cassette, if I can find it. Could only play it so many times in the morning before I had to go to school, back in the day. I don't have that problem anymore. Smile Smile

These kinds of soaring vocals, and I want to mention Heintje here, remind me of birds singing- pure music and joy. When someone loves to sing, you can, generally, I think, spot it very easily.

-edit- got it:

Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4246 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Jay Black's voice is amazingly fresh and youthful sounding for his age!
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
I've got to give one more nod to Gene Chandler for this "in through the out door" take:

Smile Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Great Performances (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL