The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Starting a Psychic Business - Resources? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

tihani
View Profile
New user
30 Posts

Profile of tihani
Hello, my name is Tihani. I'm a long time lurker and first time poster Smile

I'm currently an amateur psychic performer/reader.
I'm looking to go pro once things begin to go back to normal.
For now, I'm learning everything I can about the business side of things.

I'm putting together a list of psychic business resources and I would like your help and input.

Here is what I have on my list so far: (Please let me know if any of these don't actually cover the business side of things... and please recommend any that I missed)

Which of these would be best for an amateur looking to go pro?

Richard Webster:
The Astral Travel Workshop (does this book actually explain how to find attendees?)
Astrology For The Psychic Entertainer
Cashing In On Past Lives
Gemstone Reading For Profit (does this cover any business at all?)
Home Psychic Parties For Fun And Profit
How To Build Up A Psychic Practice With Full Length Cold Reading
How To Make Money Giving Free Talks
King of the Small Towns
Ladies Nights
The Mail Order Psychic
Money-Making Psychic Development Classes
Pitch Books
Plan For Success
The Psychic Business
The Psychic Readers Toolbox
Readings as Entertainment
Secrets of a Psychic Reader (does this one cover any business at all?)
The Tarot For Fun And Profit

Blair Robertson / Stuart Cumberland
How to make money working psychic fairs
Money Making Methods Book 1
Money Making Methods Book 2
The Complete A - Z Home Psychic Marketing
Stuart Cumberland Home Study Course (I think this was a multi-video set put out with Geoff Ronning at Stage Hypnosis Center?)

Docc Hilford:
The Psychic Pitch (I think this was later rebranded as "Window To You Future" or something like that?)
Docc has some "acts" such as Perfect Mental Club act and "The Cinderella Act" and "Star Tradeshow Act" but I don't know if he covers how to market them or not.
Docc has other stuff that talks about making money like "Top Shelf" and "Secret Venues" and "A Fortune in Fortune Telling" and "The $1000 Secret Seance"
And most of the copy for his other stuff mentions making money... "Dead Velvet 2" and "Palms of the Desert" etc...
How much does Docc actually cover in these? I've heard mixed reviews.

Bill Montana:
Inner secrets of the psychic fair (I think this was five volumes)
What other things did Bill put out that deal with the business side of things?
I know Bill put out other stuff with Robert Marsi. I can't recall what they all were and I don't know where to find them. Can anyone help with this?

Craig Browning:
Psychic Technologies Vols 1-7
Any other stuff that Craig put out relating to the psychic business?

Dean Montalbano/Leaping Lizards
They had a couple of things on like tarot reading and palm reading. It mentions covering the business a bit.
Seems more on the readings than the business though. Can anyone speak to these being good or not?

Gene Nielsen's "The T-Party Plan"
(any others?)

Paul Voodini's "Psychic Cash Machine"
(Again, any others?)

Christine Jette's "Professional Tarot, The Business of Reading, Consulting and Teaching"

Robert Nelson's "Horoscope Party Business" and "The Horoscope Pitch"

Jonathan Royle
This guy has a TON of stuff that talks about making money as a psychic. Reviews seem to indicate he never really covers it though.
Can anyone give some guidance on this guy's stuff?

Alright, so that's all that I have now. I'm sure that you all will know of many, many things that I have missed or forgotten. Please let me know what they are! Also, what would you recommend for me to dive into? What is the best of the best of all this stuff?

Of course then there are all of the other materials that aren't necessarily about psychic business but on show business in general or even coaching businesses and stuff like that. I'm currently trying to keep this list narrowed to those who are in our trade rather than general info but I am certainly open to that also.

Thank you!

Tihani

I forgot "Sir Edwards' $100 Horoscope Demonstration Sales Plan" and "Back Of The Room Pitch Books" by Kenton Knepper.
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved to Seattle to see
1200 Posts

Profile of imgic
Shouldn't a psychic know?

(Sorry, I couldn't resist.)

While I can't provide specifics, I'd recommend connecting to your local Small Business Development Council, or whatever related government agency, operates in your area. Use their resources to develop a business plan: define your target market, create list of services you'll offer, calculate costs and prices, develop marketing plan...everything you need to launch.

Good Luck...
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10146 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
This forum consists of the vast majority of non-professionals, amateurs, hobbyists, theorists, and not actual performers or performers who do this for income, profit, or as a business. So you will get a lot of armchair thoughts, opinions, and very limited-knowledge answers that can do more damage than good.

Here, almost all are working professions, either full or part-time, and give provide you with much more ofthe proper and direct knowledge you may be seeking.

Let me first say, as we often discuss here, most books, courses, programs, and content written by magicians and are often only from their own limited personal experience, not the industry or actual entertainment business perspective. Rarely do the same results happen for the reader or student as so many of the aspects between the creator and the reader are different - different areas or locations, different demographics, different markets, different venues, and much more.

When learning from an industry or entertainment business position (much different than conventional business, especially for what you are interested in) it is very much the same regardless of all the variables.

Next, I will urge you to dedicate your efforts to learning about entertainment business, rather than just your interest in readings. Readings, mentalism, juggling, magic, hypnosis, etc. are just your performing discipline, not your business. These are your "products", not your business. I have always said success in entertainment is made in the business behind the performance, not the performance or your performing discipline.

This is why I suggest you learn the art and science of entertainment business, rather than many of the limited and poor resources you had listed.

Then once your entertainment business is established, you can focus on any specific niches or specialties you choose (Psychic Business Resources). Also, in business, and I can not express this enough - be sure to learn in the proper sequential order, starting with the beginning steps and aspects such as creating the proper foundation and , making the initial decisions your entertainment business will be based and built upon. This foundation is so important because it is what everything else will be built upon. So many performers do not understand this.

Too many magicians and performers learn out of sequence, missing so many important aspects, only to then have to go back and start over later once realized. I can't tell you how many performers, and how many of those resources you listed will offer terrible advice believing that "once you think you are performance-ready, all that's left is to market yourself." This is some of the worst advice ever given.. There is a whole huge segment missing between the performance and marketing which is the bulk to your business, the operations, how you position and present your business, strategies, targeting, pricing, expense variables, and so much more. Only once these are all properly in place should you ever think of beginning to go to market.

This (and so much more) is what I mean by learning the entertainment business in the proper sequential order.

I have been an entertainment business coach, trainer, and consultant for over 35 years. I have written or produced over 100 resources on entertainment business. That's why I said most of those resources you listed are poor resources for learning the business of performing and the business behind performing. Many of my coaching students have read those and came to me seeking help because they didn't help them achieve their interests and goals.

I spoke about this at Mindvention in Las Vegas recently (the world's largest mentalism convention) to mentalists and readers around the world. Later this year I will be re-releasing and presenting my Getting Started In Entertainment Business Course which is a 6-week training for beginners just starting out and also for professionals wanting to correct much of what is missing in the foundation of their business and wanting to take their business to the next level. This would be a good starting point for you. PM me your email address and I'll put you on this notification list once we get closer to release.

Other members here will also chime in with ideas for you as well. The key is to learn the business of performing and entertainment, not the discipline. Some will chime in with general information (see I too am a mentalist and can predict this) or argue that entertainment business is no different than conventional business, but of course, they aren't professional performers or in the entertainment business themselves. Others will add good insight that I felt would be valuable to you.

Best of luck and post here or PM me if you have any specific questions.
tihani
View Profile
New user
30 Posts

Profile of tihani
At this point I have little interest in readings but am more interested in learning about entertainment business. I already know how to give readings.

Quote:
Later this year I will be re-releasing and presenting...

This sounds great! But what resources should I dive into until then?
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2803 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Quote:
On Mar 2, 2021, Mindpro wrote:

Other members here will also chime in with ideas for you as well. The key is to learn the business of performing and entertainment, not the discipline. Some will chime in with general information (see I too am a mentalist and can predict this) or argue that entertainment business is no different than conventional business, but of course, they aren't professional performers or in the entertainment business themselves. Others will add good insight that I felt would be valuable to you.

All businesses want to be different which makes us all the same. Smile

Certainly, you need to learn all the tricks of the trade for your like business; but once you start thinking you can’t learn anything from all the other successful business people you may just miss the real secret to business success. Understanding ‘WHY’ a business is successful is just as important as knowing how it works. You may have heard the saying everything he touches turns to gold, it might be wise to study those people too.

Tom
"Entrepreneurs are willing to work 80 hours a week to avoid working 40 hours a week"--Lori Greiner

www.tomboleware.com
lin
View Profile
Special user
California
834 Posts

Profile of lin
I'd suggest putting Royale at the bottom of your list. His reputation is poor and far below the others on your list.

Webster and Voudini are both good value.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10146 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Yeah, you have a lot of If-fy to poor resources there as far as business.
There are some things you really should stay away from and other resources that will serve you much better. Many of the things you mentioned are better used once you have your proper business foundation in place and operating, but not for starting or learning entertainment business.

Best of luck!
tihani
View Profile
New user
30 Posts

Profile of tihani
Quote:
On Mar 1, 2021, Mindpro wrote:
There are some things you really should stay away from and other resources that will serve you much better. Many of the things you mentioned are better used once you have your proper business foundation in place and operating, but not for starting or learning entertainment business.

So where would you suggest one start? What resource would serve me best?
clairvoyant
View Profile
Loyal user
270 Posts

Profile of clairvoyant
I'd suggest Webster and Voodini as the place to start
Mr. Woolery
View Profile
Inner circle
Fairbanks, AK
2008 Posts

Profile of Mr. Woolery
Looks like most of your titles are aimed at being a reader. Have you ever attended a psychic fair? Like as a member of the public? It is really easy to collect a lot of how-to and get lost in paralysis of analysis. When you get a chance to, go to a few psychic fairs. Go see a couple of storefront psychics. Keep notes on what makes the successful readers stand out from the rest.

Now, with just that much information (and half a dozen paid readings), you have more market research than you might realize. And the other part of the puzzle is your product. Can you reliably deliver a sensitive, kind, meaningful reading?

I used to be one of the in-house readers at the local witchy shop. When we had a local witchy shop. There are others here with a lot more experience than I ever had, but I got enough to tell you that it takes both sizzle and steak to get a good reputation for readings.

What kind of readings do you currently do? What is your level of experience with them? What makes you different from the person at the next table?

I don�t have most of the books you list. But it does appear that you are making a list rather than just asking for suggestions. Perhaps I�m mistaken in your intentions? Are you planning to be a professional psychic or are you just building a library?

Patrick
Smoking Camel
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1040 Posts

Profile of Smoking Camel
The astral travel book doesn't contain a marketing plan. It has a few ideas.

Ive had success selling home tarot parties and the astral travel workshop through facebook ads.
I no longer smoke camel cigarettes.
tihani
View Profile
New user
30 Posts

Profile of tihani
Quote:
On Mar 2, 2021, Smoking Camel wrote:
The astral travel book doesn't contain a marketing plan. It has a few ideas.

Ive had success selling home tarot parties and the astral travel workshop through facebook ads.

This is quite interesting to me. I've ran some facebook ads in the past... some with success and some without.

I'm assuming that you are only running them within a certain mile radius of your home?

What sort demographics and interests are you finding success with?

Are you they text/image ads or video? (I've always had better success with text with image)

What kind of landing page are you sending them? A contact page? Order form? Some sort of sales page?

Cheers!
The Hermit
View Profile
Loyal user
300 Posts

Profile of The Hermit
Most of those books are about faking a reading. You say you do palmistry, tarot and numerology. Have you studied or trained on those? If you plan on using those tools, many of the people you read for will know some of them and know if you're faking or not. If you plan to be a pro using those methods, you need to be really grounded in them. If you are and you have ability, the business will create itself. Being a professional means creating a website, promoting yourself and giving a good quality product. It's like any professional service business. I suggest you look at books on building a consulting business. A lot of books on psychic business written by magicians are completely misguided. Remember, guys that are busy making a bunch of money doing something, don't have time to write a bunch of books about how to make money doing it.
tihani
View Profile
New user
30 Posts

Profile of tihani
Businesses don't create themselves. People create them.

For example, a website doesn't create itself. It must be created by a person.
And creating a good website involves knowing UX design, graphic design, copywriting, content creation, SEO, photography for good promo pics, videography/editing for good videos, etc.

Unless you mean the old saying, "work begets more work"...?

Yes, one can build a business on word of mouth... but one has to get that initial work to get the ball rolling.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10146 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
From a business perspective operating a Psychic business is just like any other entertainment business. Once you know your foundational determinations and know your targets, it then becomes a matter of going deeper into that market and becoming an established top professional in your market area.
Thaumaturge
View Profile
Loyal user
288 Posts

Profile of Thaumaturge
Quote:
On Mar 18, 2021, Mindpro wrote:
From a business perspective operating a Psychic business is just like any other entertainment business. Once you know your foundational determinations and know your targets, it then becomes a matter of going deeper into that market and becoming an established top professional in your market area.

Excellent advice here.
I started by knowing what I wanted to be, researched and tested the waters, then adapted to give what the customers in my area want, and am now busily working myself to be THE person in my area to go to for my specific areas my business deals with.
Because I am now marketing what the customer wants, in the past week of opening things up again and starting from scratch, I have a permanent spot throughout the summer near Glastonbury reading tarot. Each sitter gets specific targeted marketing and I harvest their contact details. My USP is that I give probably the most accurate reading they will have ever recieved (as mentalists this should be easy). I've made connections with local event and entertainment venues and groups and I've also received funding to do a large amount of Tarot workshops and mystery entertainment events through the arts council and my local council in my town, so by the end of summer I'm well on track to be THE guy for X and X within my locale.
I'm not saying this to brag, but because the advice given there works. Understand what your customer thinks they want and give it to them, whilst gently swaying them to your other areas of business too. And look out for opportunities - they are everywhere once you come round to that way of thinking.
I would like to read more from Mindpro on this and his 6 week course!
Thaumaturge
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10146 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Quote:
On Apr 19, 2021, Thaumaturge wrote:
I started by knowing what I wanted to be, researched and tested the waters, then adapted to give what the customers in my area want

I would like to read more from Mindpro on this and his 6 week course!

You are spot-on with what you've said. I often talk about creating your business based on having a strong and distinct foundation. The foundation aspect of any business is what everything l upon so initially this is what needs the most effort and attention, and full understanding.

Of course creating this foundation is a big part of my 6 week training program, as is the concept of "giving the customers what they want." Actually, I go quite deep with this, to a level many never get to or realize, even long-time pros. This is one of my keys to success. There are many psychological understandings, triggers, and nuances that are part of being where success is created. Not only must you know how the client or customer thinks, but often you know what they really want (not what they think they want) long before they really even know. To truly serve a customer, you have to really know the customer. To know the customers goes back to determining who and the type of customer you will be dealing with, which again is just another feature of the foundational process.

Yes, this and so much more will be covered in the program. By the way, if anyone has any specific questions about the program feel free to ask here or start another thread. I am making some additions to the program (more than I expected) so I am really excited about it coming up, the content and depth it will provide, and the many it will be able to help.

Yes, entertainment business operations are much easier once all of your foundational elements are all in place. Many have told me it actually becomes fun! It removes or eliminates so many of the problems you regularly hear so many performers complain about or struggle with. Once all of this is understood and these components are in place it is quite easy to rise up to the top of your market, oftentimes passing long-time pros in the process.

An example of this was documented here in Tricky Busines last year by one of my coaching students, and while he knew of it based on our discussing it several times in our coaching sessions, he actually found himself in a live situation, side by side with his markets' competitors and top long-time pros (30 and 40 year establish pros in his market), and actually saw this happen live in real-time. He saw people literally walk right by these big names in his community and directly up to him. The results he received were amazing. These long-time pros were witnessing this and with 90 minutes they were talking among themselves and soon went up to my student asking him what he was doing and even offering to pay him to show/teach it to them. One guy I believe even offered to partner with my student and offer him half of his business. It is truly amazing when it happens and it happens very regularly and can happen to anyone with the knowledge, training, and effort to execute.

And what is funny is, much to the disbelief of many here, this does not have anything to do with tech or the stuff many of the "gurus" say you must have - no fancy, expensive website, no SEO, no autoresponders, no virtual assistants, no launch formula, no youtube, no social media mastery, no LinkedIn, no Photoshop or Adobe Illustrator, no ad extensions, no Lead Pages, no podcasts, no webinars, no subscription or membership programs, no strategy sessions, no blogs or vlogs, no newsletters, etc., just the proper knowledge and entertainment business training. And it can happen anywhere regardless of where you are located, large cities, small towns, etc. If there is a performance market, it can work.

I'm glad Thaumaturge shared his insight and personal story and wish him continued success as he continues.
tihani
View Profile
New user
30 Posts

Profile of tihani
Quote:
On Apr 20, 2021, Mindpro wrote:
And what is funny is, much to the disbelief of many here, this does not have anything to do with tech or the stuff many of the "gurus" say you must have - no fancy, expensive website, no SEO, no autoresponders, no virtual assistants, no launch formula, no youtube, no social media mastery, no LinkedIn, no Photoshop or Adobe Illustrator, no ad extensions, no Lead Pages, no podcasts, no webinars, no subscription or membership programs, no strategy sessions, no blogs or vlogs, no newsletters, etc., just the proper knowledge and entertainment business training. And it can happen anywhere regardless of where you are located, large cities, small towns, etc. If there is a performance market, it can work.

This caught my attention. I'm tired of the tech and stuff gurus tell me I must have
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10146 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
You must remember about 95% of the "gurus" are in the game of online marketing. This is not what entertainment business owners and operators should even concerned about until your business is market-ready and at the point to market. Then even still, online marketing is only one tool/option in your business and certainly not one that I would make my priority, not just due to tech, but because there are many other options you should focus on and that may be dictated by your performance market(s).

This is why learning things in the right sequential order is so important. Online marketing and tech may be great once your business is fully in place and then it becomes a matter of your business model and if such tools and tech best support your business model.

I have quite a few websites for my businesses and they are not meant to be found in Google, social media, nor do I want them optimized because it is not conducive to my business model. What these gurus do is give you a self-serving business model that is 100% dependent on online tech, SEO, algorithms, and much more.

Then they push the whole "niche" concept so everyone offers small individual components and you have to end up taking 10, 20, 30, or more of these special niche learning components before you get a full operation - that is IF they all work and play well together nicely and the tech aligns.

I have always preferred to teach a complete and full business development system covering all of the primary components needed to operate and sustain a successful business. Unfortunately, we now have a generation of people that falsely believe the online world is the only way business operates. I remind them to look at the top businesses such as Coca-cola, McDonald's, Amoco, Chevy, Ford, and all automakers, not to mention Hollywood, and so many other successful businesses that were created and successful long before the internet was even invented.

Success starts with having the right perspective, not the perspective the gurus want you to subscribe to. This is why I believe in operating from an industry perspective.

The online world and its offerings can be great to add once our business foundation is laid, your business model is chosen, your business operational system is created to support your business model and business plan, and you are market-ready and operating. It can be a great component of your business if applicable and used in the right context.
Gerry Walkowski
View Profile
Inner circle
1434 Posts

Profile of Gerry Walkowski
Mindpro,

As usual, this is great stuff!

Thanks,

Gerry
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Starting a Psychic Business - Resources? (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.34 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL