The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Everything old is new again » » History of the Misers dream? (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

floatingcardtrick
View Profile
Regular user
136 Posts

Profile of floatingcardtrick
I was wondering if any magic historians know the origins of what we now call the Misers Dream. What are the best examples of it being performed historically. Differences in method. Gimmicked, none gimmicked.
Magicol-1
View Profile
New user
Orlando
90 Posts

Profile of Magicol-1
Without a doubt in my opinion a great resource is Levents ultimate guide to the misers dream dvd set
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I never thought about why or where the production of a quantity coins into a pail or receptacle first appeared. There are some reference to old time magicians used there top hats with a metal plate placed inside to cause the sound louder for audiences. I have never read or seen anything pertaining to your question.

Back in the Vaudeville days, such magicians as T. Nelson Downs, and Arthur Buckley performed very difficult coin manipulations on stage. Fast and quickly demonstrating their skill and ability to manipulate coins.

Check out YouTube video of Arthur Buckley's act.

I have the Levent videos, and they are excellent. I don't remember him getting into history, but you can see his contents page on his website and see if it is listed. It is simply Levent dot com.
KungFuMagic
View Profile
Regular user
167 Posts

Profile of KungFuMagic
I can say that T. Nelson Downs, in the 1st chapter of "Modern Coin Manipulation" (1900), claims "Miser's Dream" as his original creation. He describes a borrowed hat and the ensuing parade of coin productions. He does go on to describe an array of various productions. I cannot assert it is the original. but it is certainly early, and a claim to creation.
Nick Sasso
part-time Samurai conjurer
gregg webb
View Profile
Inner circle
1564 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
Much of L'Homme Masque's act and moves, including the "Downs's Palm" is really the L'Homme Masque Palm for producing coins, and the day he died is when it became the Downs Palm. But, sure, Tommy Downs created the whole act. There's another guy, Allen Shaw, I think it was who had a lot of work on it.
gregg webb
View Profile
Inner circle
1564 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
A modern master of the act is Jeff McBride.
gregg webb
View Profile
Inner circle
1564 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
Other great practitioners were Al Flosso, Chris Capehart, and Presto (Earl Johnson). Don't forget Norm Neilson.
emanuele
View Profile
New user
London
49 Posts

Profile of emanuele
My 1868 copy of Robert-Houdin Secrets de la Prestidigitation et la Magie contains an effect called "La Pluie D'Or" (The Rain of Gold) - translated by Hoffmann in 1878 as "The Shower of Money".
The effect description reads: "To produce Coins from different Objects under the very Eyes of the Spectators", borrows a hat, then goes into straight Miser's Dream routine. So far I guess it's the oldest reference I can give you!
It's fascinating as Robert-Houdin sells it as some type of alchemic feat, being able to produce only silver coins (as he puts it, copper is too low grade to be bothered to be dealt with, gold is more valuable but silver coins are bigger and best seen at distance)

Interestingly, Robert-Houdin then describes a follow up parlor/stage, where a glass vase covered in silk gets filled with golden coins, while the borrowed hat is found full of banknotes. He promises to explain the feat in his stage book sequel, however as far as I know, it was never explained. (I own the stage book sequel and is not in there).

Em
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Everything old is new again » » History of the Misers dream? (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL