The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Mem deck mind-reading effects (CARD SENSE & similar) (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Nikodemus
View Profile
Veteran user
314 Posts

Profile of Nikodemus
Darwin Ortiz has an effect called Card Sense
https://www.vanishingincmagic.com/card-m......ed-deck/

Jan Forster has an effect called Under Test Conditions.

Ed Oschmann has something similar (not sure the name). 18.00 -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJEou9RmC_w

All of these have similar structure & method, but various differences in the details.
I am curious to know who if anyone is regarded as creating the "original" version?
Also are there any other interesting variations you especially like?
chappy
View Profile
Special user
755 Posts

Profile of chappy
"Pure and Simple" published in The Devil's Staircase (2014) fits the bill, (not as the earliest, obviously, although it may have been published earlier than those listed above.) In the same section, numerous methods are explained for routines of this type in the section called Mindreading with a Memorized Deck. I'm not sure I'm including all those listed but in the comments, you'll find reference to other similar routines including by Marlo, Tamariz, Aronson, Jorg Alexander, Doug Dyment, Mike Powers, Steve Ehlers, off the top of my head.
https://www.thedevilsstaircase.com/home
FARO FUNDAMENTALS, DETAILS OF DECEPTION and THE DEVIL'S STAIRCASE at www.thedevilsstaircase.com
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany ... when not traveling...
3934 Posts

Profile of JanForster
Biggest inspiration for me was Aronson’s “Four Part Harmony” in his “The Aronson Approach”. I think you can track down many variations using the basic structure of his routine. The concept is great, but the routine itself had too much dealing (done by spectators) for my taste. So, I chose more the approach making forget that the performer touches the cards or making it at least as seemingly irrelevant as possible for the participants. I gave up the “totally hands off” quality believing that this is targeted more towards magicians. My experience told me that I might be right as I could and can fool almost every magician with my “Under Test Conditions”. BTW, similar ideas you can find also in Ramon Riobóo’s works. Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
Pasteboard Alchemist
View Profile
Elite user
487 Posts

Profile of Pasteboard Alchemist
Having both the above sources ("The Devil's Staircase" and Jan's lecture), I can second (third?) that they're both excellent resources for variations on this effect. As Chapman mentioned above, a variety of approaches are discussed in his book. In Jan's lecture, I strongly encourage you to pay extra attention during the explanation part of "Under Test Conditions", as the presentation he shows while doing the explanation is different from what he does in the initial performance--and it's phenomenal. I use a variation of that with some of Chapman's nuances/ideas mixed in when I perform it.
Nikodemus
View Profile
Veteran user
314 Posts

Profile of Nikodemus
What I love about these effects is they are utterly baffling to the uninitiated, but really straightforward if you know a stack!
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5019 Posts

Profile of landmark
Greg's version is excellent. I'll also point to Doug Dyment's "Immoderate Deception" from his 2002 Mindsights booklet, which he cites as a slight variation of Harvey Berg's 1997 "Immaculate Perception."
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany ... when not traveling...
3934 Posts

Profile of JanForster
Yes, "technical" excellent sources (!!), both of them! But both have for my taste (coming more from the perspective of a mentalist) too much dealing and/or cardistry handling. Another approach (secretly counting) you find in Aronson's "Group Shuffle" (70ties), published also in his "Bound to Please". Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Mem deck mind-reading effects (CARD SENSE & similar) (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL