The Magic Cafť
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index Ľ Ľ Latest and Greatest? Ľ Ľ The Sting - Scott Paton (12 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Magic from A to Z
View Profile
Elite user
Sweet Home Alabama
430 Posts

Profile of Magic from A to Z
'The Sting is more than just a trick. It's a multi phased monster of a card set that will make you look incredibly skilled with a deck of cards' - John Carey

With The Sting Scott has created more than just a card effect. It truly is a full blown performance piece. The moment Scott first showed the effect to Peter, Peter fell in love with it and created his own presentation which is taught on the download.

The great thing about The Sting is that the effect itself is totally self working even an absolute beginner can do it! With that said the effect will grow with your skill level.

I think the true holy grail to any card magician is the new deck ending and The Sting delivers this automatically.

Scott has created a killer routine, Perfect for those times when you are sitting at a table and you want to blow their minds. Emulate the skills of a world class card cheat by presenting this as a gambling demonstration.

The Sting also works great over Zoom for online performances.

Please note The Sting uses an un-gimmicked deck, is self-working and in the tutorial Scott and Peter cover everything you need to know.

https://www.alakazam.co.uk/the-sting-by-......ad-.html
Futureal
View Profile
Inner circle
1636 Posts

Profile of Futureal
Not bad. But itís not magic. Read Maximum Entertainment. Gambling demonstrations arenít magic.
JamieD
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1763 Posts

Profile of JamieD
I was shown this via Zoom and it fooled me until I was told it was self working in which case it fooled me even more! I've never added a proper gambling routine to my set before but always looked for a really strong but still easy to perform. I think this ticks the boxes. And whilst it might not be magic, it doesn't mean it isn't magical. Magic is in the eye of the beholder.

Jamie Daws
TORCE - VMRS - DARK SERIES
www.JAMIEDAWS.CO.UK
Fire Starter
View Profile
Inner circle
4378 Posts

Profile of Fire Starter
Very nice indeed.
Joe Roberts
View Profile
Special user
749 Posts

Profile of Joe Roberts
I found this to be very boring (even when chopped up for the purposes of a demo), but that's just a matter of taste. What I really don't like is when something is advertised as "self working" and then they show a demo of the trick that is clearly not self-working. It seems like it's done to intentionally take advantage of people who are just getting into magic and might not know better.
JoelDickinson
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1323 Posts

Profile of JoelDickinson
Iím pretty sure the Alakzamís team would not pull the wool over anybodies eyes.
After watching the trick I can see it is semi-automatic and after chatting with the Alakazam team I can see exactly how this effect can be performed so it is 100% automatic and self working.

Joe, Alakzam certainly wouldnít do anything to intentionally take advantage of anybody.

Anyway, I think this effect looks strong. Itís nice to see an automatic routine with plenty of strong phases!

Quote:
On Mar 11, 2021, Joe Roberts wrote:
I found this to be very boring (even when chopped up for the purposes of a demo), but that's just a matter of taste. What I really don't like is when something is advertised as "self working" and then they show a demo of the trick that is clearly not self-working. It seems like it's done to intentionally take advantage of people who are just getting into magic and might not know better.
REALWORKERS.CO.UK
TADAA.CO.UK - ASTONISHING MAGIC
Rizzo
View Profile
Inner circle
East Coast
3218 Posts

Profile of Rizzo
The only downside I see (maybe?) from the demo is the reset.
jbadman
View Profile
Special user
London
944 Posts

Profile of jbadman
Bloody brilliant effect. Completely fooling, entirely self-working (but you can add your own skilled flourishes to this to enhance the effect if you so wish).

Extremely entertaining too. If you pass this by because you think it's a 'gambling demonstration' then it's your loss. Just use your imagination and come up with a different presentation - it's not like this involves producing a full house or a royal flush or anything like that.

Best card effect I've seen so far this year, and probably last year too.
http://www.underground-collective.com - check out our new DVD now!
Joe Roberts
View Profile
Special user
749 Posts

Profile of Joe Roberts
Quote:
On Mar 12, 2021, JoelDickinson wrote:
After watching the trick I can see it is semi-automatic and after chatting with the Alakazam team I can see exactly how this effect can be performed so it is 100% automatic and self working.

Joe, Alakzam certainly wouldnít do anything to intentionally take advantage of anybody.

Anyway, I think this effect looks strong. Itís nice to see an automatic routine with plenty of strong phases!

Quote:

It's not really open for debate. The product page says:

"Please note The Sting uses an un-gimmicked deck, is self-working and in the tutorial Scott and Peter cover everything you need to know."

And the demo shows a trick that uses multiple sleights. The version shown is not "semi-automatic."

If the ad said "no thread" and the demo used thread, would there be any question of what the issue is?

The ad should say "sleight-free version also taught."

But you would never actually show a demo for the sleight-free version though because the only thing that makes this trick potentially fooling is the false shuffles. If those aren't included you have a pre-mixed deck that you deal into four piles in a very deliberate manner. Why would anyone be surprised if it turned out the deck was separated into suits at that point?
Mr. Mindbender
View Profile
Inner circle
1444 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mindbender
Quote:
On Mar 12, 2021, Rizzo wrote:
The only downside I see (maybe?) from the demo is the reset.

Reset would take a bit of time alone - but also, in the tutorial they talk about the intriguing idea of not showing the full reveal. You could end the poker demonstration with the reveal of the Kings and Queens, but not show the rest of it, so that you're actual set up to do something like OOTW if you wanted.
Gordon Astley
View Profile
New user
44 Posts

Profile of Gordon Astley
Love it. Rehearsing now. Nice and simple. Trailer should have left out the shuffles but they are taught in the download. Love the stack. Set up is a few minutes as in most stacks. Needs a good performance and attitude. Itís a tenner. Value for money and fun.
Gordon Astley
Gordon Astley
View Profile
New user
44 Posts

Profile of Gordon Astley
Quote:
On Mar 11, 2021, Futureal wrote:
Not bad. But itís not magic. Read Maximum Entertainment. Gambling demonstrations arenít magic.

And your point is ?
Gordon Astley
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12329 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On Mar 11, 2021, Futureal wrote:

so what. they are entertaining. and fun!!
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
12329 Posts

Profile of John C
Yea the shuffles are rather advanced. IMHO
ScarneAce
View Profile
New user
Baltimore
95 Posts

Profile of ScarneAce
I like the effect, I'm surprised that magicians were fooled by this since Peters push thru shuffles were pretty obvious.

It looks a bit similar to JC's Super Closer which I'd say is stronger since the audience can cut the aces into the deck, however I can see this playing well over zoom
wayne goodman
View Profile
New user
uk
15 Posts

Profile of wayne goodman
Quote:
On Mar 12, 2021, Joe Roberts wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 12, 2021, JoelDickinson wrote:

Quote:

It's not really open for debate. The product page says:

"Please note The Sting uses an un-gimmicked deck, is self-working and in the tutorial Scott and Peter cover everything you need to know."

And the demo shows a trick that uses multiple sleights. The version shown is not "semi-automatic."

If the ad said "no thread" and the demo used thread, would there be any question of what the issue is?

The ad should say "sleight-free version also taught."

But you would never actually show a demo for the sleight-free version though because the only thing that makes this trick potentially fooling is the false shuffles. If those aren't included you have a pre-mixed deck that you deal into four piles in a very deliberate manner. Why would anyone be surprised if it turned out the deck was separated into suits at that point?

utter tosh its explained that you do not need to do the sleights or shuffles but instead those were added to enhance the presentation, you do not have to present it exactly as demonstrated, its a demo.

i had it a week before release, its totally self working and a brilliant trick

for proper reviews by people who know I would avoid the Cafť
Luke Jonas
View Profile
Regular user
Yorkshire UK
169 Posts

Profile of Luke Jonas
I think that this effect is really strong! easy to perform and gives you more time to focus on your presentation. It does not need to be presented as a gambling routine if that's not your thing it can be presented in a number of different ways so saying that 'its not magic' just seems like a lazy cop out to me... with a little effort and imagination anything can be magic.
Luke Jonas
View Profile
Regular user
Yorkshire UK
169 Posts

Profile of Luke Jonas
And for the price you really cant go wrong!!
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
12329 Posts

Profile of John C
Show me the self working demo?
Philippe
View Profile
Special user
679 Posts

Profile of Philippe
The only downside I can see is that too many are downloading this little gem!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index Ľ Ľ Latest and Greatest? Ľ Ľ The Sting - Scott Paton (12 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL