The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Reflecting on a month of progress! (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

taranwandering
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of taranwandering
Hi All,

Before the pandemic, I was new to the hobby and dabbled in mostly self-working tricks. I tried to learn sleights, but didn't feel confident enough to perform any of them in front of others. Unfortunately, the pandemic overwhelmed my work schedule and I had to stop practicing magic for about a year. I recently started picking it up again and am really proud of my progress in the past month! I bought Card College (I probably should have only grabbed the first two volumes to start, but I grabbed all five) and signed up for some virtual lessons to help correct my handling. I can now perform simple versions of Triumph and the Chicago Opener-- and I can do so fairly confidently in front of others without any obvious "tells"! I'm really excited about how quickly I've improved and wanted to share that with someone-- so I'm posting here Smile
The_Mediocre_Gatsby
View Profile
Regular user
131 Posts

Profile of The_Mediocre_Gatsby
Congrats man.
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3234 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Well, if you can't brag about your magic accomplishments here, where can you? LOL!

Congrats and keep going!
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
JonHackl
View Profile
Regular user
Western Australia
106 Posts

Profile of JonHackl
Great!
"Magic is the only kind of entertainment where 90% of the audience is trying to ruin it for themselves." - Pete Holmes
TeddyBoy
View Profile
Elite user
New York, NY
462 Posts

Profile of TeddyBoy
Sounds like you have the right attitude and are going about it in a sane and productive way. Continued success.
So many sleights...so little time.
"Slow...deliberate...natural." Bill Tarr

Cheers,
Teddy
TeddyBoy
View Profile
Elite user
New York, NY
462 Posts

Profile of TeddyBoy
Quote:
On Mar 18, 2021, taranwandering wrote:
Hi All,

Before the pandemic, I was new to the hobby and dabbled in mostly self-working tricks. I tried to learn sleights, but didn't feel confident enough to perform any of them in front of others. Unfortunately, the pandemic overwhelmed my work schedule and I had to stop practicing magic for about a year. I recently started picking it up again and am really proud of my progress in the past month! I bought Card College (I probably should have only grabbed the first two volumes to start, but I grabbed all five) and signed up for some virtual lessons to help correct my handling. I can now perform simple versions of Triumph and the Chicago Opener-- and I can do so fairly confidently in front of others without any obvious "tells"! I'm really excited about how quickly I've improved and wanted to share that with someone-- so I'm posting here Smile

Congratulations. Your optimism is contagious. I have been a hobbyist for several years, although I've never gone about it in as effectively as I like b/c I have to take care of my wife who has serious health issues. For this reason I was interested in your "virtual lessons." With whom, Prof. Giobbi himself?
So many sleights...so little time.
"Slow...deliberate...natural." Bill Tarr

Cheers,
Teddy
dustrod
View Profile
Regular user
Western Wisconsin, USA, Earth
161 Posts

Profile of dustrod
That's awesome news taranwandering!
EndersGame
View Profile
Inner circle
Reviewer EndersGame
1728 Posts

Profile of EndersGame
Quote:
On Mar 19, 2021, taranwandering wrote:
I bought Card College and signed up for some virtual lessons to help correct my handling.

Congrats on the progress! Card College is a fantastic place to develop foundational skills, and I often recommend the accompanying video course from Roberto Giobbi as well.

What can you tell us about the virtual lessons you took, how they worked, and who taught them? Anything you can share about that?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Reflecting on a month of progress! (7 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL