The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » The Castle (13 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
MagicVin
View Profile
Loyal user
Staten Island, New York
246 Posts

Profile of MagicVin
Quote:
On Sep 20, 2021, MJE wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 20, 2021, MagicVin wrote:
Why

Because they SAID so! Now, go to bed.....

Amazing answer. lol Best part is I'm answering so much later because I went to bed before I saw your response.
Smile Smile Smile Magic is all around us we just have to be willing to see it.
padre rich
View Profile
Special user
603 Posts

Profile of padre rich
Lack of dinner reservations...
God's grace rocks! It makes a good cups and balls routine look pretty boring in comparison.
MJE
View Profile
Veteran user
After all these years,I STILL have only
368 Posts

Profile of MJE
Quote:
On Sep 21, 2021, padre rich wrote:
Lack of dinner reservations...

I guess a big chunk of their income DOES come from food sales. I think Mondays and Tuesdays are traditionally slow days for restaurants. I suppose that once the crowds resume, that schedule will likely change. There's still a lot of caution in the air, and understandably so.
padre rich
View Profile
Special user
603 Posts

Profile of padre rich
Anyone attending MUST make a dinner reservation.this very likely chases off magicians/members who can't afford the prices.dinner can run upwards of $100,drinks $14 or more.parking for members $8($18 for guests)door charge $35,discouraging bringing friends.it all adds up to an expensive venture for many people already impacted by lack of work, rising costs of living, unsure times,etc..the current manager, like his predecessor, comes from a country club background.the place is being run with that mindset, not as a private club catering to the magic fraternity.lectures have been cancelled."the boys" are not sitting around trading tricks and conversation.it has morphed into a BUSINESS with less regard for performers.a short week means less pay, less money put on the posi card for food(no drinks are allowed on the card now).add to all that the wearing of masks and you have good reason to stay home and work on your faro shuffle or Kelly bottom placement...it's not like the old days...
God's grace rocks! It makes a good cups and balls routine look pretty boring in comparison.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10324 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Wow!
MagicVin
View Profile
Loyal user
Staten Island, New York
246 Posts

Profile of MagicVin
That’s so sad to hear.
Smile Smile Smile Magic is all around us we just have to be willing to see it.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7106 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Quote:
On Sep 27, 2021, padre rich wrote:
...it's not like the old days...

We may never see that again. A new world now... Smile

Doug
MJE
View Profile
Veteran user
After all these years,I STILL have only
368 Posts

Profile of MJE
A $35 door charge? I guess I'm out of the loop. Is a door charge for the guy to open the door for you? No, I'm serious. I've never heard of that, and we fairly frequently go to high-end restaurants.
Jerskin
View Profile
Inner circle
2527 Posts

Profile of Jerskin
Door charge is like a cover charge
I worked there 2 weeks ago with Kalin & Jinger and the crowds were great
GrEg oTtO

MUNDUS VULT DECIPI
MattyMediocrity
View Profile
Regular user
170 Posts

Profile of MattyMediocrity
Quote:
On Sep 27, 2021, padre rich wrote:
Anyone attending MUST make a dinner reservation.this very likely chases off magicians/members who can't afford the prices.dinner can run upwards of $100,drinks $14 or more.parking for members $8($18 for guests)door charge $35,discouraging bringing friends.it all adds up to an expensive venture for many people already impacted by lack of work, rising costs of living, unsure times,etc..the current manager, like his predecessor, comes from a country club background.the place is being run with that mindset, not as a private club catering to the magic fraternity.lectures have been cancelled."the boys" are not sitting around trading tricks and conversation.it has morphed into a BUSINESS with less regard for performers.a short week means less pay, less money put on the posi card for food(no drinks are allowed on the card now).add to all that the wearing of masks and you have good reason to stay home and work on your faro shuffle or Kelly bottom placement...it's not like the old days...

I spent a decade as a bar manager at a semi private country club where we did 3-4 weddings a week. Just to get your wedding party in the door was 50k, the Friday and Saturday night receptions often ran a bill over 200. Add on daytime events like tournaments, auctions, birthday parties etc. and the place was making money hand over fist.

In exchange for not having access to the facility most Friday and Saturday nights, the owner rewarded the members with incredibly cheap drinks, free food and simply kept the doors open late for them to hang out and relax. I even started a poker night where I'd clock out at 9 and deal for them for a few hours. It was a family type vibe where the owner, employees, members, and event patrons were all happy.

The owner decided to move back to his home country and gave control to a course management company.

Immediately the members were paying full price for food and drinks. Doors to the bar and restaurant locked at 6pm unless there was an event. 50% of the staff was replaced. The employees and members were actual friends. It was a worst case scenario. All of the joy was sucked out of that wonderful place in the matter of a month. Not only that, THEY MADE LESS MONEY.

I know literally nothing about Castle operations other than what you posted, but it's a shame if they have gone the joy-kill route of micro management.

That place is stunning. It would be wonderful if there was a way to make obscene money while also providing magicians an affordable social hang out.
Creator of Molly Mayhem's 25 Cent Tacos <ultra visual coin bend> Smile

I try to treat others as if this were a small community where we're likely to be face to face one day Smile
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6629 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
I stopped going about 10 years ago when I noticed it changing... in many of the ways mentioned. What really put me off is how they stopped letting members use the Museum, Hat & Hare and other cubby holes to do their stuff and practice.

When I moved to Hollywood in 2000 I spent most nights down there and that's where I honed a lot of my stuff. Why would I be a member if I am treated like a regular patron?.

Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2771 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
Quote:
On Dec 2, 2021, Greg Arce wrote:
I stopped going about 10 years ago when I noticed it changing... in many of the ways mentioned. What really put me off is how they stopped letting members use the Museum, Hat & Hare and other cubby holes to do their stuff and practice.

When I moved to Hollywood in 2000 I spent most nights down there and that's where I honed a lot of my stuff. Why would I be a member if I am treated like a regular patron?.

Greg

The Museum (now The Cellar) and the Hat and Hare continue to be impromptu spaces for members to perform, as well as the Palace Bar table when Bill Joslin isn't working it. I've been a member since 2011 and as far as I know this has always been the case since that time; I've performed in all three spots on a regular basis since joining.
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » The Castle (13 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL