The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The Holy Grail of Peek devices » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (176 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
5991 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
Quote:
On May 5, 2021, Martin Pulman wrote:
Quote:
On May 5, 2021, Gaz Lawrence wrote:
Uri has always been a magician ever since I first saw him 40 years ago.
You may call him a mentalist but when I met him at his house very near Paul Daniels home Paul also described him as the best magician in the world.
Uri didn’t deny that accolade in fact he embellished it Gaz 😊

"I can say with absolute certainty I do not cheat. I am not a magician." Uri Geller

Martin that’s his media quote, I have personally met him and spoke to him about magic have you? Gaz 😊
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3399 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
Quote:

Martin that’s his media quote

That's exactly the point. He became one of the most famous people in the world by convincing enough people he WASN'T a magician. Randi spent decades trying to prove to the world that Geller was a magician performing conjuring tricks. Uri's cover would have been blown immediately if he had been using a deck of cards as a mind-reading device. It would have screamed "magic trick"!

This may well be the holy grail of peek devices for magicians. It makes very little sense as a peek device for mentalists. But it's probably healthier that the two disciplines use different approaches.
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
5991 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
I agree Martin but Uri fully admits and is proud of being a magician who fooled millions. He doesn’t call himself a mentalist who fooled millions, that’s an important acknowledgement imho. Your mileage may vary but I have personally discussed this topic with the legend himself so I literally have it from the horses mouth Gaz 😊

Look up his wiki profile too if you don’t believe me or give him a ring if you wish Gaz 😊

“Uri Geller is an Israeli-British illusionist, magician, television personality”.
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
5991 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
Look up his wiki profile too if you don’t believe me or give him a ring if you wish Gaz 😊

“Uri Geller is an Israeli-British illusionist, magician, television personality”.
threadman77
View Profile
Loyal user
282 Posts

Profile of threadman77
Quote:
Quote:

Martin that’s his media quote

That's exactly the point. He became one of the most famous people in the world by convincing enough people he WASN'T a magician. Randi spent decades trying to prove to the world that Geller was a magician performing conjuring tricks. Uri's cover would have been blown immediately if he had been using a deck of cards as a mind-reading device. It would have screamed "magic trick"!

This may well be the holy grail of peek devices for magicians. It makes very little sense as a peek device for mentalists. But it's probably healthier that the two disciplines use different approaches.

I disagree - you're talking about one guy. Challenge someone like Max Maven, Derren Brown, Richard Osterlind, Banachek and a host of others that you would primarily call a mentalist, to work in a peek routine with a deck of cards, and I guarantee they could do it smooth as peanut butter. That's what a professional entertainer does.

I've never considered Max Maven a magician. He's considered a mentalist. But I wouldn't question him ever with a deck of cards in his hands.
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
5991 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
Derren Brown is literally sublime with a deck of cards and I remember him I think coming third in the international magic close up competition years before he ever did mentalism at all. People care to forget facts, most mentalists become mentalists after being primarily magicians first. It’s as simple as that Gaz 😊
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3399 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
Quote:
On May 5, 2021, threadman77 wrote:
I disagree - you're talking about one guy. Challenge someone like Max Maven, Derren Brown, Richard Osterlind, Banachek and a host of others that you would primarily call a mentalist, to work in a peek routine with a deck of cards, and I guarantee they could do it smooth as peanut butter. That's what a professional entertainer does..

You were the person who originally mentioned Uri Geller potentially using this peek method. That's why I referenced him.

The other entertainers you mentioned are still performing. They are free to start using this method in their performances. They often incorporate the best new concepts, effects and props into their work. I guess the proof will come soon enough if they consider this to be the holy grail of peek devices, because they'll start using it. Let's wait and see how many of them adopt this technique.
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3399 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
Quote:
I agree Martin but Uri fully admits and is proud of being a magician who fooled millions. He doesn’t call himself a mentalist who fooled millions, that’s an important acknowledgement imho. Your mileage may vary but I have personally discussed this topic with the legend himself so I literally have it from the horses mouth Gaz 😊

Hi Gaz,

The one thing Uri has always understood is the need to preserve the mystery in the mystery arts. That is why I find your claim that he "fully admits to and is proud of being a magician who fooled millions" hard to believe. Still, you claim to have heard it "from the horse's mouth", so it is not my place to call you a liar.

I therefore have just asked Uri about your claim. His reply included the following:

"Hi Martin,
Fake News or better word for it a lie. Many magicians hate me and would say anything."
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
5991 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
I love the man and I don’t know anyone who hates Uri he is a living legend, thirdly I am sure many top magicians will start using this great peek by Eddie. So if you have a problem kindly pm me and don’t start to derail another thread with your bitterness to life and to others it gets embarrassing, Gaz 😊
dyoung
View Profile
Special user
900 Posts

Profile of dyoung
I gotta admit, over the years, whenever I've met Uri he has never admitted to being a magician. In fact the first time when he found out I was a magician he asked me "Why do magicians hate me? [...] I think they are jealous of my powers". Sure, in later years, he has come closer to the magic community, but that's not the same as him admitting he's a magician.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

To me it still seems like a magic product, rather than mentalism, but that's ok.

So Eddie congratulations, your product seems to be doing well, you should've started with your video Smile

All the best,
Dan
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
5991 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
Yes I agree that Uri mellowed as he got older, but every magician certainly always knew he was one.
If you look him up he will always have the word magician on the first line of any description.
I normally have to explain to my audience at the beginning of my set that I’m a magician as it just saves any arguments amongst themselves later lol
Gaz 😊
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3399 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
I simply quoted what you claimed Uri said directly to Uri. He strongly denies saying it.

Geller spent years creating a persona that made him world famous. If he decides to declare he was a magician all along that is his decision to make. People shouldn't be inventing conversations on the Magic Café by putting words into his mouth that he didn't utter. If Uri says your claim is false I believe him.

I agree with Dyoung, above. This device seems to be working very well for people performing mental magic within a magic context. Writing things on playing cards is already established as a natural part of a card magicians methodology. It would be unnatural in a Mentalism context. But one method doesn't need to please both art forms. As I said above, it's probably better that they use different techniques. I will be very surprised if I see many mentalists adopting this approach but if magicians think this is their holy grail that's a pretty great achievement for Eddie.
threadman77
View Profile
Loyal user
282 Posts

Profile of threadman77
Quote:
Quote:
On May 5, 2021, threadman77 wrote:
I disagree - you're talking about one guy. Challenge someone like Max Maven, Derren Brown, Richard Osterlind, Banachek and a host of others that you would primarily call a mentalist, to work in a peek routine with a deck of cards, and I guarantee they could do it smooth as peanut butter. That's what a professional entertainer does..

You were the person who originally mentioned Uri Geller potentially using this peek method. That's why I referenced him.

The other entertainers you mentioned are still performing. They are free to start using this method in their performances. They often incorporate the best new concepts, effects and props into their work. I guess the proof will come soon enough if they consider this to be the holy grail of peek devices, because they'll start using it. Let's wait and see how many of them adopt this technique.

I believe you missed the overall point in my statement Martin.

And you also pulled Uri out of context in my quote by saying - "But I would also bet money that given the opportunity, guys like ...Uri Geller...could all use this Peek Deck with confidence and success."

What I really said was "But I would also bet money that given the opportunity, guys like Max Maven, Derren Brown, Uri Geller, The Amazing Randi, Richard Osterlind, Banachek could all use this Peek Deck with confidence and success. I've never considered Max Maven a magician. He's considered a mentalist. But I wouldn't question him ever with a deck of cards in his hands."

So I threw out a bunch of names to make the point that a deck of cards can very easily be associated with people we consider "mentalists" with Max as a great example. You pulled Uri out and now want to build your case around him. That's not fair to the real point I was trying to make.

Back to my point - would it make - your words - "very little sense" to see Max Maven with a deck of cards in his hands?

Lastly, You might never see the mentalists I mentioned using this deck. My point again was, and is - They "could" use it - with confidence and success.
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Uri aka ‘ The spoon-bending psychic’ by the Sun newspaper. Lol. I always thought it was forks he bent.
dyoung
View Profile
Special user
900 Posts

Profile of dyoung
I don't think it's necessarily the use of a deck in general that's being questioned, as Max for example does a fair bit of card material. Its the writing of information on cards that could be seen as jarring.
dvno
View Profile
Special user
Hamburg
570 Posts

Profile of dvno
Can Uri please show up here eventually and clarify how his appointment with Gaz was and if he would use this peek device?
threadman77
View Profile
Loyal user
282 Posts

Profile of threadman77
Quote:
On May 6, 2021, dyoung wrote:
I don't think it's necessarily the use of a deck in general that's being questioned, as Max for example does a fair bit of card material. Its the writing of information on cards that could be seen as jarring.

Again, my point was, Max, and other mentalist "could" use this Peek deck with confidence and success. And that means having a spectator write on the playing card. You honestly don't think Max Maven could get a spectator to write on a playing card without it appearing "jarring"
dyoung
View Profile
Special user
900 Posts

Profile of dyoung
Not saying it can't be done. It's just an odd thing to do, in my opinion. Even when I perform just straight card material, its very rare for me to have cards signed. The amount of times over the years, that people would say "You want me to write on the card? but that will ruin your deck" is... well, a lot!
threadman77
View Profile
Loyal user
282 Posts

Profile of threadman77
I guess the bottom line is - "presentation" Some folks might find it difficult. I find it a walk in the park.
David Numen
View Profile
Inner circle
2077 Posts

Profile of David Numen
Quote:
On May 6, 2021, pegasus wrote:
Uri aka ‘ The spoon-bending psychic’ by the Sun newspaper. Lol. I always thought it was forks he bent.

Maybe I am missing some joke above my intellect but just in case - Uri is very very famous for bending spoons. He has bent other items such as forks but as far as the general public were concerned he bent spoons. That's why it's a spoon in the famous "there is no spoon" clip in the Matrix movie. It's why there's more spoons than forks on his famous cadillac and it's why there was a signed bent spoon with his DVD set.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The Holy Grail of Peek devices » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (176 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL