The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » History of Magic Books (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

rbromley
View Profile
Regular user
USA
110 Posts

Profile of rbromley
If this has already been a thread somewhere on the Café, I apologize. I am just curious as to which history of magic books you would recommend. Not necessarily 'How to' books, but just cool books with the origins and possibly people that really helped shape and progress the art form. I have read a few books, but none have been super in depth. Thanks for any leads to great reads.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9026 Posts

Profile of funsway
Hiding The Elephant by Jim Steinmeyer is one
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
MGordonB
View Profile
Loyal user
Toronto, Canada
256 Posts

Profile of MGordonB
The Secret History of Magic - Pete Lamont and Jim Steinmeyer

Magicians at War - H. Wayne Capps
Topper2
View Profile
Regular user
105 Posts

Profile of Topper2
There are so many possibilities but these are a few classics I've enjoyed:-

'The Illustrated history of magic' and 'Panorama of Magic', both by Milbourne Christopher.
'Paul Daniels and the Story of Magic' by John Fisher.
'The Great Illusionists' by Eddie Dawes
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3456 Posts

Profile of Julie
The Art of MAGIC (PBS BOOKS), the companion to the PBS Special: by Carl Waldman and Joe Layden with Jamy Ian Swiss. (255 pages)

Foreword by Siegfried & Roy and Preface by Lance Burton.

This is a beautifully produced coffee table size book from 1997 that you don't see referred to often.

Definitely worth tracking down IMO.

Julie
rbromley
View Profile
Regular user
USA
110 Posts

Profile of rbromley
Funsway, MGordonB, Topper2 and Julie--thanks a lot! These suggestions should keep me busy for a little while, after I track them down. I really appreciate you taking the time to lead me in the right direction. I will let you know what I think of these after I get through them. In the meantime, I will keep an eye out for other suggestions in this thread as well.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » History of Magic Books (4 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL