The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Goshman pinch (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Paul Chosse
View Profile
V.I.P.
1955 - 2010
2389 Posts

Profile of Paul Chosse
Quote:
On 2004-06-16 18:51, mike gallo wrote:
The fastest and best method I have seen to get into the Tenkai pinch is a method devised by scotty York.

Mike

AAARRRRGH!
Paul
"You can't steal a gift..." Dizzy Gillespie
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I'm trying to remember who Tenkai got the move from. Smile
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3028 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
Here is the history I posted before from the Sol Stone "Quick and Casual Close Up" DVD.

Sol states that, Tenkai taught his routine “Tenkai Pennies” (which used the Tenkai Pinch) to Ed Balducci in 1936 who taught the routine to Sol in 1945. Sol did not like the Tenkai Pinch and chose to modify it to use the Middle Finger Backclip. Sol continued to state that he taught the routine to Albert Goshman, who had problems with the Middle Finger Backclip, so Sol showed him the Tenkai Pinch. Bobo saw Al Goshman use it, and attributed it to Goshman in his Modern Coin Magic book, the rest was history.
Click to visit:
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
Quote:
On 2004-06-16 12:33, doppelganger wrote:
What is the difference? I'm just using the termonology I know from jay sankey.

Thanks for the laugh! Man....

When you are looking at Sankey as an authority in coin magic...then there are problems.
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
Jim Tighe
View Profile
Veteran user
West Virginia
363 Posts

Profile of Jim Tighe
My origin for the guts of the routine I posted earlier was taken from a Sol Stone routine printed in Apocalypse around 1981-82.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Re: ...so Sol showed him the Tenkai Pinch. Bobo saw Al Goshman use it, and attributed it to Goshman in his Modern Coin Magic book, the rest was history.

As a NYC Saturday gathering alumnus and something of a student of Sol's... I can tell you he usually lets people know his sources when he discusses methods. History is important to him. That includes the people who he learned from and those who've long since passed on. Please don't drag Sol into the Bobo-Tenkai crediting omission.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Bob Gerdes
View Profile
Loyal user
Northport, NY
237 Posts

Profile of Bob Gerdes
Quote:
On 2004-06-17 15:38, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
... Please don't drag Sol into the Bobo-Tenkai crediting omission.

Jonathan,
Dan is recounting what Sol himself says about this issue on his video, as I understand it. I don't see how this can be construed as an attack on his integrity...

Bob
Eschew obfuscation
Kevin Wiese
View Profile
Regular user
Richmond, Va.
187 Posts

Profile of Kevin Wiese
Paul,
Why........?
Quote:
On 2004-06-17 10:43, pchosse wrote:

AAARRRRGH!
Paul

Is there something you don't care for w/ the Scotty York method?

Kevin Wiese
levitate
View Profile
Veteran user
319 Posts

Profile of levitate
Which method does Kam use in POS 3 in the triple alliance routine? Is it York's, or the original?

Michael
Mr. Ed
View Profile
Veteran user
California
337 Posts

Profile of Mr. Ed
Quote:
On 2004-06-17 02:32, Pete Biro wrote:
I happen to be very lazy as well as uneducated. Smile

Come-on Pete, I hear you work very hard at being uneducated!
He who laughs, lasts.
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3028 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
Quote:
On 2004-06-17 15:38, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Please don't drag Sol into the Bobo-Tenkai crediting omission.

Jon, as Bob posted earlier, I am just writing verbatim what Sol stated on his DVD.

Sol simply gave the history...

It was Tenkai's move.
Tenkai taught it to Balducci, Balducci taught it to Sol, Sol taught it to Goshman, Bobo saw Goshman use it. He just laid out the history from Tenkai to Goshman.
Click to visit:
wsduncan
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
3619 Posts

Profile of wsduncan
It has always puzzled me that Mr. Bobo describes the Tenkai Pennies routine by saying that it was taught to him "many years ago" by the originator yet he calls the concealment "The Goshman Pinch" without any clarification or why.

Now if I recall correctly the period in which Tenkai lived in the states was well before Goshman began his study of magic. So if Tenkai taught the routine to Bobo when he lived in our country then Bobo clearly knew that Tenkai was using the concealment before Goshman.

But there's really no confusion. The concealment is Tenkai's.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Goshman pinch (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL