We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Alex Hecklau - Just a Cup (13 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6996 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Quote:
On May 21, 2021, Michael Daniels wrote:

I don't have Silent Assistant, but I suspect that it will not work effectively with Just a Cup.

Correct! But the SA (with double-sided carpet tape) works WELL with this type of routine.

Doug
Brian Tanner
View Profile
Loyal user
Ohio
297 Posts

Profile of Brian Tanner
Quote:
On May 19, 2021, Chessmann wrote:
Silent Assistant works very well for this type of routine. A bit of double-sided carpet tape assures no 'woops' moments. This kind of thinking allows one to use virtually any cup, and some moves not possible with other cups.

I bought Silent Assistant strictly to use with Just A Cup! It took a little getting used to, but it works very well. As Kalix stated, it’s not quite as strong as the supplied gimmick, but it’s worth the extra practice, to be able to subtly show your hand empty, at certain parts of the routine.
Thomas Walter
View Profile
Veteran user
Well, it is strange that at my age, I certanly should have more than
392 Posts

Profile of Thomas Walter
I do not get it! Why tape the gimmick to a fixed position? Why use something so stupid as a Sansmind toy!

Watch Alex instruction and try to understand why he is saying that the gimmick should be "loose".
No rings, no tapes unless in practice, not in performance!
Have you never heard of the term "holding out"?
And the need for practice.

You are missing the subtle points in this routining!

And yes, you can show your hands empty at certain stages in the routine. Watch the instructions. Alex shows it!

This so called improvements is the same reasoning as the so called magicians who try to find the, in their mind, perfect, closing, locking, magnetic, or whatever, so called "invisible" opening in their key ring in the linking rings. (Mine has, and for about 50 years, had a wide gap of almost 2 inches, with no trouble.)

Don't destroy this routine with stupid shortcuts! Practice!
Please!
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4145 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Edit
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
5591 Posts

Profile of videoman
Can we at least show enough respect to get his name right, it is Axel.
Thomas Walter
View Profile
Veteran user
392 Posts

Profile of Thomas Walter
Quote:
On May 22, 2021, videoman wrote:

You are absolutely right, videoman! Personally I apologize!

Undschuldigung, Herr Hecklau!

And another way to show respect is not to simplify and tamper with Axel's creation!
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6996 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Quote:
On May 23, 2021, Thomas Walter wrote:
Quote:

And another way to show respect is not to simplify and tamper with Axel's creation!

I agree. It works best as is. I do like the ideas I have developed playing with it though. My Magic has improved because of Axel.

Doug
Thomas Walter
View Profile
Veteran user
392 Posts

Profile of Thomas Walter
Quote:
On May 23, 2021, Dougini wrote:
Quote:
On May 23, 2021, Thomas Walter wrote:
Quote:

I agree. It works best as is. I do like the ideas I have developed playing with it though. My Magic has improved because of Axel.

Doug

Absolutely, Doug! Being influenced by ideas and developing your own things is an other matter. that's the way to go.
griz326
View Profile
Regular user
Eureka, Montana
123 Posts

Profile of griz326
I'm writing up a review of a number of products that use magnets to mechanically "create the magic."

The review will include: PK Ring, Event Horizon, Silent Assistant, and Blista.

My intention is to measure the gauss power of each device with a gauss meter that I had in my recording studio. The reason I'm posting here is that I'm wondering if including the JAC apparatus would be exposing the method. I lean toward YES. However, knowing the magnetic power of these devices might be useful to JAC owners. It also might be useful in determining "how much is enough." ...limitations...
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1698 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
I think that one could review the product without using pictures while describing it accurately enough that magicians would know how it works but without revealing exactly what the gimmick is.

Personally, I would be interested in the strength of the magnet as I would like to make a second gimmick without having to tear apart the old one.

Quote:
On Jun 5, 2021, griz326 wrote:
I'm writing up a review of a number of products that use magnets to mechanically "create the magic."

The review will include: PK Ring, Event Horizon, Silent Assistant, and Blista.

My intention is to measure the gauss power of each device with a gauss meter that I had in my recording studio. The reason I'm posting here is that I'm wondering if including the JAC apparatus would be exposing the method. I lean toward YES. However, knowing the magnetic power of these devices might be useful to JAC owners. It also might be useful in determining "how much is enough." ...limitations...
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
griz326
View Profile
Regular user
Eureka, Montana
123 Posts

Profile of griz326
Life got in the way Smile

Still going to do the write up, but there are some things I must do first.
Brian Tanner
View Profile
Loyal user
Ohio
297 Posts

Profile of Brian Tanner
Quote:
On May 22, 2021, Thomas Walter wrote:
I do not get it! Why tape the gimmick to a fixed position? Why use something so stupid as a Sansmind toy!

Watch Alex instruction and try to understand why he is saying that the gimmick should be "loose".
No rings, no tapes unless in practice, not in performance!
Have you never heard of the term "holding out"?
And the need for practice.

You are missing the subtle points in this routining!

And yes, you can show your hands empty at certain stages in the routine. Watch the instructions. Alex shows it!

This so called improvements is the same reasoning as the so called magicians who try to find the, in their mind, perfect, closing, locking, magnetic, or whatever, so called "invisible" opening in their key ring in the linking rings. (Mine has, and for about 50 years, had a wide gap of almost 2 inches, with no trouble.)

Don't destroy this routine with stupid shortcuts! Practice!
Please!

My, aren’t we just a breath of Spring?
I don’t see where changing part of the gimmick hurts or ruins the routine. Silent Assistant is not a “toy”, especially when used properly. I use it not only to show my hand empty, which by the way I do so subtly, but because the gimmick supplied causes irritation to the skin under my finger. I realize that this is probably unique in my case, however it’s a fact.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4145 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Quote:
On Jun 28, 2021, Brian Tanner wrote:
My, aren’t we just a breath of Spring?
I don’t see where changing part of the gimmick hurts or ruins the routine. Silent Assistant is not a “toy”, especially when used properly. I use it not only to show my hand empty, which by the way I do so subtly, but because the gimmick supplied causes irritation to the skin under my finger. I realize that this is probably unique in my case, however it’s a fact.

Very well put. Greg Wilson put his name on, and presented, a device very similar to SA. Of course, neither are toys. I believe the part about the tape was referring to a comment I made. Double-sided carpet tape is an excellent tool. In this case, just a small piece insures that there are no accidents with the SA gimmick, yet it is not so secure that it interferes with ditching. Personally, I do not own "Just a Cup," nor am I trying to do Alex's routine, but am sympathetic to the notion of not deviating until one is certain (after sufficient practice) that the creator's intent is problematic - or as in Brian's case, painful - in one's own particular case.

As Harry Lorayne says (to paraphrase), "Do it the way I teach it - only then make any changes you need to make it work for YOU."
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
TomB
View Profile
Loyal user
Michigan, USA
250 Posts

Profile of TomB
The ubiquitous band aid works perfectly for this type of deception.

The full performance has been shown in several videos.

If you buy it, you will be rewarded. He teaches how to drop the die in the opening of the cup, then have the die come out of the bottom, and yes, you can show the cup empty.

He teaches having the cup with the opening on the participants hand. Then the die drop thru the top and onto the spectators hand.

I love how he cracks his knuckles guaranteed to make people cringe.

All his little moves are pure gold.

I personally think a die and cup routine makes more sense then a cup and ball.

Will you like it? Do you like chop cup routines? This is a chop cup routine without a special cup, it's just a cup.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Alex Hecklau - Just a Cup (13 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL