The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical Accessories » » Joe Porper Card Clip (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Robtron2
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of Robtron2
I recently ordered a Joe Porper Card Clip and have now received it. I can see it's of good quality but find it grips the card box too tightly, making it close to impossible to even remove the box. A great deal of force is required to get the cards out and I find that it's hard to remove the cards without damaging the box in the process! Is there a certain knack to it? Does the clip 'soften' with use?

Because right now I'm admittedly disappointed... Yes, the cards will remain straight, but they're so hard to remove it makes me wonder whether the clip is even worth bothering with. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. (I had assumed that the clip would remain on the box the entire time, and the cards could be removed without having to first remove the box).
"Those who live amongst the limits of their capabilities won't be tempted by the impossible" ANON
ftlum
View Profile
Special user
Roseville, CA
727 Posts

Profile of ftlum
I haven't had any problems with my Porper clip. Do you have extra cards in the box that can be removed?

-- Frank
Robtron2
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of Robtron2
No extra cards other than the two jokers, and an additional 'odd' card that came with the Black Tiger deck. Do you think removing three cards would make a difference?
"Those who live amongst the limits of their capabilities won't be tempted by the impossible" ANON
Davidicus
View Profile
Inner circle
Look Ma!
1133 Posts

Profile of Davidicus
The Tiger deck is thicker than a regular deck of cards. THAT would make a difference.
Vincent
View Profile
Loyal user
New York Metro Area
270 Posts

Profile of Vincent
Even removing the third extra card might make a difference.
This clip was designed to keep the cards flat and it does a better than great job.
You should remove the whole deck including the box from the clip prior to performance.
You do not want to show off the clip since to a lay audience it may smack of a gaff.
Try taking the cellophane from the card box as that generally helps as well.

I really do not know what else to tell you other than pivot the corner of the deck w/box out of the clip and that should do the trick.

Hope that these suggestions will help you.

Take Care,

Vincent Smile Smile Smile
Robtron2
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of Robtron2
Really? I had no idea it was thicker! I'll try a regular deck in that case! Do card clips usually require you to remove the box to get the cards? I had assumed that the box could be in there permanently. Thanks for your help deception guy!
Davidicus
View Profile
Inner circle
Look Ma!
1133 Posts

Profile of Davidicus
Maybe I am mistaken, but isn't the purpose of the clip to keep the cards "crisp", and not to carry the cards?

I use a leather holster that I had custom made. It holds two decks of cards. The holster has loops on the back that you thread your belt through.

There are many nice PDA and camera cases that are the perfect size as well.

If I am mistaken about the clip, by all means let me know! thanks...
ftlum
View Profile
Special user
Roseville, CA
727 Posts

Profile of ftlum
The clip keeps the cards in good shape. To that end, it's particulary useful if you do faro work. My sense is that the decks that have been in the clip last longer too.

-- Frank
bkentner
View Profile
New user
Davenport, Nebraska
61 Posts

Profile of bkentner
Quote:
On 2004-06-16 21:34, Robtron2 wrote:
Do card clips usually require you to remove the box to get the cards? I had assumed that the box could be in there permanently.

Generally yes, the boxed deck is removed from the clip prior to removing the cards from the deck. Some people do not carry the cards in a box, just the deck in the clip.
Davidicus
View Profile
Inner circle
Look Ma!
1133 Posts

Profile of Davidicus
Bkentner,

Nebraska huh? Whereabouts? I'm in Omaha...
bkentner
View Profile
New user
Davenport, Nebraska
61 Posts

Profile of bkentner
Quote:
On 2004-06-17 00:15, Deceptionguy wrote:
Maybe I am mistaken, but isn't the purpose of the clip to keep the cards "crisp", and not to carry the cards?

Not alway. I use my clip to hold the my invisible deck with my prediction. Joe Stevens markets a clip that has Queen with two different suits engraved on it.

Quote:
On 2004-06-17 00:15, Deceptionguy wrote:
I use a leather holster that I had custom made. It holds two decks of cards. The holster has loops on the back that you thread your belt through.

There are many nice PDA and camera cases that are the perfect size as well.

I use a case that I purchased from a leather good store. It's a zippered belt pouch that was designed to hold 2 packs of cigarettes and a lighter. It will hold 2 decks and a couple of packet tricks. The lighter pocket will hold several coins or other small objects.

Quote:
On 2004-06-17 10:07, Deceptionguy wrote:
Bkentner,

Nebraska huh? Whereabouts? I'm in Omaha...

Southwest Lancaster County near Lincoln. Recently home of an F4 tornado.
Jordini
View Profile
Inner circle
2766 Posts

Profile of Jordini
Yes, Black Tiger SECOND EDITION boxes, BOXES, not cards, BOXES are just a TIIIIIIIIIINY bit toooo big for the porper clip. All other decks work fine. Imperial, Tally-Ho, Bikes...
Steve Dela
View Profile
Special user
U.K. London
961 Posts

Profile of Steve Dela
Hi there,
while people are still talking about the porper clip...does anyone know if any magic dealers in England are selling them?
all the best
Steve Dela
http://stevedela.com
Associate Member of the Inner Magic Circle
FFFF
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical Accessories » » Joe Porper Card Clip (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL