The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » On undercover magic with case studies (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Prahlad
View Profile
New user
88 Posts

Profile of Prahlad
In Strong Magic Darwin Ortiz discusses the merits of performing magic undercover. He reasons that anything we can do as magicians is going to be less incredible than what an audience might imagine. One of the examples he cites to illustrate this is Max Maven's presentation of Glorpy as a spirit writing effect. He suggests that the spirit writing effect would be less impressive if someone came up with a method which that doesn't require cover for this reason.

I thought that it might it might be helpful to test the veracity of this concept by analysing a trick where the magician has come up with a method that doesn't require cover. The following tricks are such examples.

https://youtu.be/OPtEFoagU98

https://youtu.be/fO7WJMUPdBE

I'm interested in what your thoughts are on the topic.

Please note that I don't intend this discussion to become about how close to the surface (wink wink) the method is in these videos, nor whether the audience attributes sleights or gimmicks as the cause. Ortiz goes over some of this in the chapter on visual magic in Designing Miracles.

What I'm interested in is what stimulates the audience's imagination better both in this case and in general. I think that this analysis might be a fruitful exercise. (Ortiz himself suggests a combination is the most effective in general.)
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16236 Posts

Profile of tommy
The no cover version looked gimmicked to me.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27140 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Fussy looking transitions into get-ready and post-effect diminish the magical effect. For example handling solid silver coins as if they are volatile chemicals or sand paintings...

Isolated by a box, a cover, closed hand reads differently than open transformations when it comes to "the magician did it".

Even on TV, when using editing - they also used a sound effect and the character made a gesture - be that a nose wiggle or a blink.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5019 Posts

Profile of landmark
Too strong when the visible version is performed by itself.

It gains meaning only after the covered version--"yeah, but what are you hiding?"

Otherwise, especially on TV--"they used some kind of camera trick." ("Jimmy and the audience were in on it," etc.)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » On undercover magic with case studies (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL