The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » 2 Shows, One night....Burton vs. Copperfield (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
I saw David about 8 months ago and it was pretty much the same show. The only thing not there was the pregnancy trick. (That trick is just awful.) Instead of that he did Dancing Ties, which looked great. This was the first time I saw the appearing car at the end of The Lottery and thought it was the best thing in the show. Kenner told me before the show that they have changed the method and now they can do it just about anywhere. The real name of the scorpion trick is Anthrax.

I last saw Lance about a year and a half ago. I believe it was exactly the same show.
Miraclemakers
View Profile
Special user
INA
684 Posts

Profile of Miraclemakers
Quote:
On 2010-07-02 00:25, pepka wrote:
I saw David about 8 months ago and it was pretty much the same show. The only thing not there was the pregnancy trick. (That trick is just awful.) Instead of that he did Dancing Ties, which looked great. This was the first time I saw the appearing car at the end of The Lottery and thought it was the best thing in the show. Kenner told me before the show that they have changed the method and now they can do it just about anywhere. The real name of the scorpion trick is Anthrax.

I last saw Lance about a year and a half ago. I believe it was exactly the same show.

Thank you for the information about Scorpion Trick (Anthrax), do you know the link video about the trick?
or maybe you can explain the detail effect from spectator view.
Thank you in advance....

Elvan
M Sini
View Profile
Inner circle
1361 Posts

Profile of M Sini
Elvan,

Though I'm sure I've forgotten some details; in anthrax David has a spectator select a card, it's lost in the deck, the deck is put in a bag or some sort of container, he lowers the scorpion into the container and the scorpion pulls out the originally selected card.
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
M Sini has it pretty much on the nose. I think the cards are fanned out and held with a large metal clip. I really think it's the weakest thing in the show, and it's currently the closest thing there is to any close-up in the current line-up. Would really love to see him bring back Grandpa's Aces.
M Sini
View Profile
Inner circle
1361 Posts

Profile of M Sini
Pepka,

Forgot about the large metal clip. I should have asked my sister since she was brought up on stage for that trick when she saw him, I bet she would have remembered better than me.

I agree with you that it's probably the weakest thing in the show.
Miraclemakers
View Profile
Special user
INA
684 Posts

Profile of Miraclemakers
Dear M Sini and Pepka,
Thank you for your information sharing.....wish that someday I watch the performance live on Vegas......
jamesbond
View Profile
Loyal user
249 Posts

Profile of jamesbond
Just got back from vegas yesterday... saw both shows on the same day lance and DC. to be honest - I wasn't impressed with Lance's show that much as to me it missed some kind of theme through it - he seemed tired/bored with it (OK been doing the same show for like 10 years I get it...) + him switching with somebody else like 3 TIMES during the show became kinda predictable in the end... the show started at 7 and around 8 me and my wife wished it was over - he sounded kinda stoned (not sure if it was his accent or what) + what the heck it's up with the juggler it the middle of the show??? What the???? he wasn't even funny... DREADFUL TO WATCH!!! What the heck is HE doing there - I came to see Lance...

you got your own theatre and $100 M contract - the theatre is build for YOUR OWN SHOW and all you can put in is a friggin juggler for 15 min in the MIDDLE of your show??? With that kinda money... as a warm up act ... maybe... actually not!

DC show - same tricks for I don't know how long but it was much better. It just felt lot more modern. David was relaxed you can tell this guy has been doing it forever - it's like you are in his living room. MGM room is really intimate so he is like right there... No female assistants in his show... Cutting down expense? Unfortunately his scorpion trick didn't work - anthrax was too tired to pick the card so plan B it was for this night his "Stunt scorpion" had to find the card - aka one of his male assistants dressed as a "scorpion" had to do the picking... But overall much better entertainment.

Over all LANCE - 6.5 out of 10, DC - 8.5 out of 10

Don't get me wrong I HIGHLY respect BOTH of them - heck I wished I achieved what they did this is just my opinion of seeing 2 shows on the same night... that's all.
Illucifer
View Profile
Inner circle
1387 Posts

Profile of Illucifer
Lance's show is a more classical magic show. It's not supposed to necessarily feel "modern" (though, I realize he has some modern elements in it).

That drawl, or accent, is how Burton talks.

I found his show to be much more magical than Copperfield's the last time I saw them both. Lance is wonderful with the children in his audience.
It's all in the reflexes.
Sam Sandler
View Profile
Inner circle
2486 Posts

Profile of Sam Sandler
Im heading to Vegas for the first time ever in august or at least that's the plan.
I want to see Lance before he takes his final bow in Vegas.

most likely will see mac king and other shows before I think I would try DC

oh and seriously you guys think he improves!? everything he does is planned out. every mistake,joke, "audience memeber" who helps him. these are his employees they work for him sure once in a while he using a real person but for the most part eveything is planned. he is a professional and leaves nothing to chance. the good ones make scripts look like its off the cuff.

cant wait to see lance live!

sam
sam sandler- America's only full-time DEAF Illusionist
http://www.samsandler.com
http://www.deafinitelymagic.com
Sorcerer
View Profile
Loyal user
289 Posts

Profile of Sorcerer
Sorry if I missed something ...

I had understood by this very forum that Lance Burton's show at Monte Carlo in Vegas was canceled, but I see I'm wrong. Has it been moved to another theater?

Thanks
M Sini
View Profile
Inner circle
1361 Posts

Profile of M Sini
Sorcerer,

As of right now, Lance's show is scheduled to end Labor Day Weekend and to my knowledge, no new theater has been announced.
Bryan Gilles
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1729 Posts

Profile of Bryan Gilles
How hard is it to visit with Lance after his show? I will be there next Thursday to see the show and would love the opportunity to visit with him.

~Bryan
ReDeFiNe
View Profile
Loyal user
Singapore
275 Posts

Profile of ReDeFiNe
I just got back from Vegas a week ago and caught both shows on different nights. IMHO I enjoyed DC show more. Lance did a great job however I felt the energy in the show seems kinda low, and there were many duplicate effects in the show (Lance disappearing and appearing somewhere else or appearing as someone else).

I kind of agree with jamesbond about the juggler. I use to be a big fan of Michael Goudeau, however I was a little disappointed with his act especially the constant running gag with the sidekick coming out to interrupt the show, that just didn't get me.

There were a few things which I really admire about DC's show. The pacing of the show was great and he did some good magic. I particularly enjoyed the close up pieces such as Ring to Shoe, Floating Rose and his Dancing Ties routine.

It was also the first time I saw the Lottery Routine live and the Car appeared just right in front of me! It was awesome! All the illusions were pushed right to the edge of the stage and they were all presented beautifully. Also, DC look a lot smarter now in basic black shirt then the Open blue shirt with white T.

Just my few cents thoughts...
Jeremy Pei
www.TheSocialMagician.com

For Magicians by Magicians
www.RedefineMagicOutlet.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » 2 Shows, One night....Burton vs. Copperfield (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL